Sponsored

Waiting for the hatchet to fall ...............

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you get over 2 Years here in Arizona , Time to Replace it . They will short and Die with No Warning . The Desert Southwest is Brutal on Batteries . Moved out here from Chicago Land South Suburbs in 86'.
I'm sure the AZ heat is a huge factor. Heat is a battery killer - period. I have a friend who lives in the Phoenix area and has a restoration shop around the NW side (I get turned around out there!) and man, time to close up shop at about 2 pm, too danged hot to do much of anything. Dry heat or not, batteries don't know the difference - it's HOT.

It is amazing what (some) folks will accept as far as crappy designs and sometime crappy policy and/or quality just because the vehicle has a "Jeep" logo on it.
Again, lack of reading comprehension. It's not a Jeep design. Others have used it. The design is fine - it's often the lack of understanding by the owner that's a problem.
You ignore the fact that other more high-end auto makers have used this same design, some do today.
You obviously lack the technical understanding of such things, lack of how electrical systems work, of battery tech, etc.
In short, you choose to not get it. No one said "you have to like it" but at least understand it.
I'm not tossing out opinions, like your hatred of some things is - all opinion - I toss out the facts of the beast. Why it's there, how it works, why it may not work, and so on, from a purely technical standpoint while others scream at it out of lack of understanding (usually chosen) or of hate (because they don't understand it)
I neither like or dislike it. I understand it, I know for a fact it saves fuel (I've seen it, proven it, and seen the studies because I CARE TO LEARN about things!) and I also know that if the EPA didn't allow such creative ways to cut emissions and save fuel FCA would cease to produce these things (our reserves are all but down the toilet, gotta save somehow because we can't go get more)
You need to get out and explore the world a bit - maybe you have no clue about what the EU has done - and the EU is a big market for Jeep - EU has said ZERO (0) carbon emissions by 2035 (I think I have the year correct) so if they can't through means like this meet those demands, they will not sell vehicles in the EU. No sales there, Jeep goes bust. Or - they completely stop making ICE powered vehicles. And for diesel lovers, I have an article predicting the total death of diesel powered light trucks in the very near future because of moves like that of the EU, California and Virginia.
Try to look at the bigger picture - not just your dislike or - more correctly, hate of what you don't understand - or your belief of what some spew that's so far off the mark, it's not even on this planet. You believe his comments? LOL - wow.
Sponsored

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I'm sure the AZ heat is a huge factor. Heat is a battery killer - period. I have a friend who lives in the Phoenix area and has a restoration shop around the NW side (I get turned around out there!) and man, time to close up shop at about 2 pm, too danged hot to do much of anything. Dry heat or not, batteries don't know the difference - it's HOT.

Again, lack of reading comprehension. It's not a Jeep design. Others have used it. The design is fine - it's often the lack of understanding by the owner that's a problem.
You ignore the fact that other more high-end auto makers have used this same design, some do today.
You obviously lack the technical understanding of such things, lack of how electrical systems work, of battery tech, etc.
In short, you choose to not get it. No one said "you have to like it" but at least understand it.
I'm not tossing out opinions, like your hatred of some things is - all opinion - I toss out the facts of the beast. Why it's there, how it works, why it may not work, and so on, from a purely technical standpoint while others scream at it out of lack of understanding (usually chosen) or of hate (because they don't understand it)
I neither like or dislike it. I understand it, I know for a fact it saves fuel (I've seen it, proven it, and seen the studies because I CARE TO LEARN about things!) and I also know that if the EPA didn't allow such creative ways to cut emissions and save fuel FCA would cease to produce these things (our reserves are all but down the toilet, gotta save somehow because we can't go get more)
You need to get out and explore the world a bit - maybe you have no clue about what the EU has done - and the EU is a big market for Jeep - EU has said ZERO (0) carbon emissions by 2035 (I think I have the year correct) so if they can't through means like this meet those demands, they will not sell vehicles in the EU. No sales there, Jeep goes bust. Or - they completely stop making ICE powered vehicles. And for diesel lovers, I have an article predicting the total death of diesel powered light trucks in the very near future because of moves like that of the EU, California and Virginia.
Try to look at the bigger picture - not just your dislike or - more correctly, hate of what you don't understand - or your belief of what some spew that's so far off the mark, it's not even on this planet. You believe his comments? LOL - wow.
You continue to show arrogance, ignorance, and lack of critical thinking skills. You do not grasp what others are saying because you are so caught up as wanting to be right.

You have some degree of "knowledge" BUT NO capacity to problem solve and think creatively. You accept whatever Jeep puts out as dogma because you approach ownership as a religion...You lash out at others who don't agree with you because you feel insecure.

You can't even fix your own Service Engine Light warning:facepalm: LOL! and refuse to bring it into dealer which pretty much exemplifies that the knowledge you do have isn't translating into creative thinking and problem solving.

Never confuse knowledge with wisdom and the ability to think critically, doing so results in a great degree of arrogance (sounds familiar-LOL), inability to problem solve, or see
other points of view.

That other POV is that ASS sucks because it is a bad design. In fact it is an ill-conceived "band-aid" to compensate for other shortfall in Jeep design. Anyone with the ability to think is able to figure this out. But not you, you are so full of yourself you rather personally attack those who don't agree with you.

And I know you have problem with reading comprehension, but I'll give you the same advise I gave you earlier in this thread: Take a course on "How to get along with others" - l can guarantee you will get a lot of benefit from it LOL!...Google is your friend in finding these!!!

Last edited:

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
That won't stop a dying aux battery from cannibalizing the main battery when it starts crapping out.
That is what happened to mine. Truck ran fine and then next morning as I was getting ready to leave for trip everything was dead. I couldn't even jump start it off. Had to put charger on it for some time to finally get the main battery up enough to get it started. I just don't like where they pt the AUX battery. Eventually I think I would like to move to Genesis setup

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
That is what happened to mine. Truck ran fine and then next morning as I was getting ready to leave for trip everything was dead. I couldn't even jump start it off. Had to put charger on it for some time to finally get the main battery up enough to get it started. I just don't like where they pt the AUX battery. Eventually I think I would like to move to Genesis setup
You don't need two batteries, but the genesis is nice for extra power when camping.

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
both heat ( I lived in Phx AZ for 6 years) and cold (from N Minnesota) can wreak havoc on many things... batteries included. I have seen 122 actual temp and -44 actual temp. I decided to do the jumperless aux battery bypass not based on fear nor uninformed hysteria... I chose as a preventative measure based upon valid owners experiences

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
I’m not a fan of ESS especially in our diesel. The Gladiator and the Silverado both do it. My “automatic” start process is to hit the start button then hit the disable ESS.

I fully understand that the manufacturer upgrades the starter for the additional cycles. What I really don’t like is the oil pressure dropping to zero, especially with a turbo. The diesel also doesn’t “jump to” quite as quick as a gas engine does. The few times I’ve forgotten to disable the ESS I have absolutely caught the engine “flat footed” moving from the brake to the gas.

I‘ll gladly upgrade to a better set of AGM batteries when mine go bad, but I do expect a premium vehicle should come with decent parts.

Carrotzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Glad
You continue to show arrogance, ignorance, and lack of critical thinking skills. You do not grasp what others are saying because you are so caught up as wanting to be right.

You have some degree of "knowledge" BUT NO capacity to problem solve and think creatively. You accept whatever Jeep puts out as dogma because you approach ownership as a religion...You lash out at others who don't agree with you because you feel insecure.

You can't even fix your own Service Engine Light warning:facepalm: LOL! and refuse to bring it into dealer which pretty much exemplifies that the knowledge you do have isn't translating into creative thinking and problem solving.

Never confuse knowledge with wisdom and the ability to think critically, doing so results in a great degree of arrogance (sounds familiar-LOL), inability to problem solve, or see
other points of view.

That other POV is that ASS sucks because it is a bad design. In fact it is an ill-conceived "band-aid" to compensate for other shortfall in Jeep design. Anyone with the ability to think is able to figure this out. But not you, you are so full of yourself you rather personally attack those who don't agree with you.

And I know you have problem with reading comprehension, but I'll give you the same advise I gave you earlier in this thread: Take a course on "How to get along with others" - l can guarantee you will get a lot of benefit from it LOL!...Google is your friend in finding these!!!
wow, I guess we all need a course to think as you do. Insults only make people ignore your opinion. Talk about getting along with others….

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I understand why ESS exists and I’m fine with it. I can push the button to turn it off if I want - and sometimes I do. I also understand that batteries die - often without warning… which is why all of my vehicles have jump batteries in them. I won’t whine and complain WHEN my batteries die… because I know they will. I’m expecting them to. Heck, the main battery is probably a 36-month battery, so why complain that it doesn’t last longer than that?

The main thing I’m confused about with Jeep’s implementation of this system is the dual battery setup - and the fact that the aux. battery is such a pain to get to in order to replace it. Does anyone know why Jeep chose to go with dual batteries rather than simply have one larger battery? Would have been far less complex and probably more reliable. My wife’s ‘23 Hyundai Kona has auto start/stop - and it just has one battery. 🤷‍♂️

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I understand why ESS exists and I’m fine with it. I can push the button to turn it off if I want - and sometimes I do. I also understand that batteries die - often without warning… which is why all of my vehicles have jump batteries in them. I won’t whine and complain WHEN my batteries die… because I know they will. I’m expecting them to. Heck, the main battery is probably a 36-month battery, so why complain that it doesn’t last longer than that?

The main thing I’m confused about with Jeep’s implementation of this system is the dual battery setup - and the fact that the aux. battery is such a pain to get to in order to replace it. Does anyone know why Jeep chose to go with dual batteries rather than simply have one larger battery? Would have been far less complex and probably more reliable. My wife’s ‘23 Hyundai Kona has auto start/stop - and it just has one battery. 🤷‍♂️
They want stable voltage for the computers during restarts. An unstable voltage plays hell with them. There is a big flux in voltage during a restart on the main battery.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
You don't need two batteries, but the genesis is nice for extra power when camping.
That is mostly what I want it for some camping trips but its not something high on my priority list

CJXJJT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
51 CJ3A, 71 CJ5, 72 CJ6, 93 XJ, 21 JT
Occupation
Machinist
I am going to be upgrading the main battery. Disconnecting the AUX and installing a duplicate main battery in the bed of the jeep. I just dont trust the electrical system in these jeeps!
Genesis dual battery system. If my secondary battery craps out again, (12,000 miles, one year on the factory) I'm not messing with it any more. The genesis system is the way to go. Really smart set up.
My Jeep is a daily driver 40 minutes each way to work. It never sits more than two days. No reason whatsoever the battery shouldn't last four to six years. The dealer service technician told me they had lots of issues with the factory auto start stop batteries. Unfortunately I don't trust it out in the boonies.

CJXJJT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
51 CJ3A, 71 CJ5, 72 CJ6, 93 XJ, 21 JT
Occupation
Machinist
You’re right, it’s a $60-$75k truck. If it is so upsetting to you to have to spend a few hundred bucks after 3 years, I would argue you spent more than you can honestly afford on the vehicle. Or you just like hearing yourself talk and enjoy complaining. Maybe in this instance it’s a bit of both. ;-)

A battery is a wear item with a finite lifespan. 3 years doesn’t seem unreasonable to me 🤷‍♂️. That said, our 2020 LE (purchased in Aug ‘19) is still going strong on the battery front. When it goes bad, I’ll replace it and won’t bat an eye. I’ll think about the enjoyment we’ve had with it over the years and not waste my energy complaining. But, you do you.

Happy Thanksgiving 😜
Three years is ridiculous, I've owned many other vehicles with factory and replacement batteries that lasted six to ten years with propper maintenance.
I can walk out to my old CJ5 in the barn after three months choke it, pump it a little and it starts right up. This auto start stop, garbage with multiple computers is beurocratic emissions red tape.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
wow, I guess we all need a course to think as you do. Insults only make people ignore your opinion. Talk about getting along with others….
Insults? When Shadow starts every e-mail addressed to the opposite POV with personal attacks calling people ignorant and don't know how to read, what would you expect he gets in return?

YES!, you should start by telling your friend Shadow to take your advise: "Insults only make people ignore your opinion".

My goodness, hood lock, gas cap lock, Service Engine warning, and now ASS, we can always count on the same overreaction from Shadow...You don't like other's POV Too Bad and that is fine not to agree. But when you start throwing insults there shouldn't be (too, too,) much surprise you will get them back in kind.

Last edited:

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I don't get the fear around being stranded somewhere by a dead battery. Just spend $50 for one of those small Li-Ion/Li-Po jump batteries.
I agree with this...HOWEVER...i can speak from experience that if you are off grid and the auxiliary battery fails, dragging down the main battery, the jump pack doesn't have enough oomph.

This happened to me a few months ago while camping remotely (so I had no cell/internet to figure out how to bypass the auxiliary battery) and my big NOCO pack couldn't get the job done. I also witnessed a neighbor have the same problem. The AAA driver only had a jump pack and no proper jumper cables and couldn't get this lady's JLU started. I had to help the AAA guy by jumping the Wrangler with cables.

I'll still carry my jump pack (have one in all three of my Jeeps) but I will be much more vigilant to the warning signs:
"Aux Switches Temporarily Unavailable Battery Charging"​
"ESS Not Available Service Required"​
If you see either of these messages at start up, you need to be looking at the batteries, esp. the auxiliary battery
Sponsored