Sponsored

Waiting for the hatchet to fall ...............

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
Yep, complaining about a $60,000 truck where the batteries don’t last more than 3 years….I should hang my head in shame.
You’re right, it’s a $60-$75k truck. If it is so upsetting to you to have to spend a few hundred bucks after 3 years, I would argue you spent more than you can honestly afford on the vehicle. Or you just like hearing yourself talk and enjoy complaining. Maybe in this instance it’s a bit of both. ;-)

A battery is a wear item with a finite lifespan. 3 years doesn’t seem unreasonable to me 🤷‍♂️. That said, our 2020 LE (purchased in Aug ‘19) is still going strong on the battery front. When it goes bad, I’ll replace it and won’t bat an eye. I’ll think about the enjoyment we’ve had with it over the years and not waste my energy complaining. But, you do you.

Happy Thanksgiving 😜
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Well, that makes me feel better about my JTR mileage. I get about 16 in town and about 18 highway (if I stay below 70 mph). I have 35" tires. Add about 10% to that and it's close to the EPA mileage on the sticker. My ESS has had a warning (the A with a !) for a couple of months and hasn't been working which is fine by me. I'll have the dealer look at it at my first oil change, then pull the Aux cable and the fuse and be done with it. Re-connect it at the next oil change and not worry about it. My voltage reads in the 14s unless I go on a long trip. I'm retired so not commuting.
There are engine related errors that will disable ESS (a!) before they throw an engine code. I would get yours checked out sooner than later.

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
You’re right, it’s a $60-$75k truck. If it is so upsetting to you to have to spend a few hundred bucks after 3 years, I would argue you spent more than you can honestly afford on the vehicle. Or you just like hearing yourself talk and enjoy complaining. Maybe in this instance it’s a bit of both. ;-)

A battery is a wear item with a finite lifespan. 3 years doesn’t seem unreasonable to me 🤷‍♂️. That said, our 2020 LE (purchased in Aug ‘19) is still going strong on the battery front. When it goes bad, I’ll replace it and won’t bat an eye. I’ll think about the enjoyment we’ve had with it over the years and not waste my energy complaining. But, you do you.

Happy Thanksgiving 😜
Yep, that’s the point of this. Having to replace a battery. 🤪 The point is that the ESS is a worthless feature and doesn’t function properly.

BTW, just put a new battery in a 2013 Ford Fusion with 140,000 miles on it.

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You spent several posts complaining about having to replace batteries. Then wanting Jeep to have a feature letting you know the battery could be failing (which as multiple people pointed out to you, the vehicle actually has). I mean, this whole tread is more or less about some people worrying about perceived battery issues related to the ESS. You can figure people for misunderstanding your grievances.

Because you deem ESS as worthless doesn’t make it so. You might not like it, which is totally fine. I’m not a huge fan myself. But not sure how it doesn’t function properly? Mine seems fine in the 3 JTs and JL I’ve owned.

If you don’t like it, it’s very easy to turn off manually or get a Tazer/jscan. Most owners on this board have rose already, for tire size reprogramming, etc.

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I just replaced original battery last month as it was over 3 years old. I also did the jumperless aux battery bypass. I dont use the ESS.

Carrotzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Glad
So, I think the point is why not have the auto stop button optional; you have to turn on to activate. It’s your vehicle, why should some lawyer in dc tell the auto industry what’s what? Batteries lasting 3 years is the way it is, probably more gov intrusion on manufactures. The argument that if you pay $60k for a vehicle, shut up about inferior batteries is trite. That’s the Argument for the idiots that insisted on mask’s; ’because I said so’. Baaahhhhh

Viper501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sting Gray Mojave; 2020 Mercedes GLE
Occupation
Ninja
My 18 BMW X5M could shut off the ESS by button and would stay that way until you turned it back on. Much more useful.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I've had factory oem batteries last anywhere from 18 months to 12 yrs. Any battery is a roll of the dice for life span.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There are engine related errors that will disable ESS (a!) before they throw an engine code. I would get yours checked out sooner than later.
Bingo.

This guy knows stuff.

So, I think the point is why not have the auto stop button optional; you have to turn on to activate. It’s your vehicle, why should some lawyer in dc tell the auto industry what’s what? Batteries lasting 3 years is the way it is, probably more gov intrusion on manufactures.
The point is that people refuse to learn truths, instead preferring to spread their incorrect "opinions" on something they don't understand.

Question - do you LIKE your precious Jeep? Do you like it with an ICE?
Then best get used to things. Most accept it and move forward. They may not like it, but That's the Way it goes (sounds like a good song title!)

There's one reason Jeep is still able to sell you these things. Get past the hate and accept it's the way it is.

Like I used to have in my sig - there's none so blind as those who will not see.
If you had read the dozens of threads, hundreds of posts on this very topic, and read what I've posted on the CAFE credits and so on - you'd not have posted that bit at all.

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Bingo.

This guy knows stuff.

The point is that people refuse to learn truths, instead preferring to spread their incorrect "opinions" on something they don't understand.

Question - do you LIKE your precious Jeep? Do you like it with an ICE?
Then best get used to things. Most accept it and move forward. They may not like it, but That's the Way it goes (sounds like a good song title!)

There's one reason Jeep is still able to sell you these things. Get past the hate and accept it's the way it is.

Like I used to have in my sig - there's none so blind as those who will not see.
If you had read the dozens of threads, hundreds of posts on this very topic, and read what I've posted on the CAFE credits and so on - you'd not have posted that bit at all.
yesI agree about the truth idea... but I also recallmsny JT owners going to get tge steel steering box... many without even having issues... kinda like the acared rabbits idea you propose... truth: I never had issues wirh steeriing... still dont... 33k miles on aluminum steering box... I chose not to flock to tge fear to "fix" something that need not be fixed...

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we should not feed the trolls and move on :) People just love to complain and rant. Presenting evidence doesn’t change anything, other than reenforcing their opposition. This is true in person and more so on the internet.

The rest of that guy‘s comments read like a tinfoil hat talking points list anyway. Inadvertent and unsolicited musings speak volumes, after all.

In the end… it’s a battery. Replace it when it goes bad and disable to ESS with a Tazer if you want. Move on with your life! Don’t sweat the small stuff, of which these issues most certainly are.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
So, I think the point is why not have the auto stop button optional; you have to turn on to activate. It’s your vehicle, why should some lawyer in dc tell the auto industry what’s what? Batteries lasting 3 years is the way it is, probably more gov intrusion on manufactures. The argument that if you pay $60k for a vehicle, shut up about inferior batteries is trite. That’s the Argument for the idiots that insisted on mask’s; ’because I said so’. Baaahhhhh
Bravo! It is amazing what (some) folks will accept as far as crappy designs and sometime crappy policy and/or quality just because the vehicle has a "Jeep" logo on it. The even more amazing thing is, not that these people are willing to accept it (often we have no choice after the purchase) but that they try to justify it to others. And if you don't "bend a knee" you are a complainer, troll, or any other variety of personal attackers these people can come up with...Yes, I am a very Religious person too, but as much as I like my Mojave it is not included in my Prayer sessions every morning. ;)

Besides, this disrespect to people whose opinions one may not agree with needs to stop, after all, it is not consistent with "Love your fellow Jeep Owners" as exemplified by the "Jeep Wave". ;)

The History of The Jeep Wave:

The tradition began after World War II. When the soldiers returned home, many purchased their own Jeep. The Jeepers began waving at each other knowing that the other driver was most likely a fellow soldier. The wave began when civilians began to purchase Jeeps.

Last edited:

ShadowRock

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys , 20'Dodge Challenger SXT,
Occupation
System Technician Mercedes Benz, Retired
ESS is a good tell of battery health, as is watching the volt meter.
If you get over 2 Years here in Arizona , Time to Replace it . They will short and Die with No Warning . The Desert Southwest is Brutal on Batteries . Moved out here from Chicago Land South Suburbs in 86'.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My 18 BMW X5M could shut off the ESS by button and would stay that way until you turned it back on. Much more useful.
BMW decided that the mpg gain wasn't worth it, and in their lineup, they are probably right. They have plenty of very fuel efficient models to offset the pigs. FCA, however, does not. They don't make many fuel efficient vehicles at the moment, and the ones they do don't sell as well. More useful, yes, but that's not what the manufacturers are after. They are going for compliance, and minimal fines for not hitting CAFE targets.
Sponsored

Last edited: