Sponsored

Waiting for the hatchet to fall ...............

Sunnysideup

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pumpkin Gladiator/ 2007 Steel Blue JKU
Occupation
Pastor
3 years two months... lost the aux battery in July, lost the main battery last week. I had swapped the aux battery with a higher quality battery and now I swapped the 94R with a Northstar AGM (100 bucks more than most). The sides of the stock battery seemed to be bulged out? Everything is running fine again- but now I wonder if the new aux battery is damaged from the main battery going out? Guess time will tell?
Sponsored

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
My biggest complaint with stop-start is that we donā€™t get a good old physical ignition key. I am not super keen on the button, it doesnā€™t give me the tactile and auditory warm and fuzzy. On the other hand, the handful of times so far itā€™s been in the single digits I have appreciated the remote start which is a new one for me.

On the diesel I would have some concerns with the turbo coking oil after say coming off the highway or towing. When I had my old 2.0 TDI I could get off the autobahn and be in my garage in down town Stuttgart in less than five minutes. I would always let her idle a few minutes in the drive before shutting down for this reason. That said, stop-start has been prevalent in the EU for a long time, including diesels and small turbos, and they seem to do ok. I suspect the technology is pretty mature at this point.

Since quite a few gladiators come with the HD 240amp alternator which is really overkill for this application, the charging system should handle it. In my past experience a monthly night on the battery tender is the single best thing you can do for longevity.

For normal use I think the system is well designed. Off road Iā€™d turn it off for various reasons but on road no problem.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I was also anti-ESS before I understood how the system works and that the starter was beefed up to handle the extra work. I don't mind it now... leave it on most of the time. Better fuel mileage and less emissions... win/win. I don't get the fear around being stranded somewhere by a dead battery. Just spend $50 for one of those small Li-Ion/Li-Po jump batteries. The first time you have to use it, replace your batteries and get on with your life. Done. I've been carrying one in all of my vehicles for years. No more worries about being stranded due to a dead battery.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
MikešŸ–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I've got the Cascadia solar panel on my hood that charges the battery with sunlight. I'm curious to see if this will help with the longevity of the factory batteries.

So far no issues, and I use it to run my fridge while the jeep is off, too.

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I was also anti-ESS before I understood how the system works and that the starter was beefed up to handle the extra work. I don't mind it now... leave it on most of the time. Better fuel mileage and less emissions... win/win. I don't get the fear around being stranded somewhere by a dead battery. Just spend $50 for one of those small Li-Ion/Li-Po jump batteries. The first time you have to use it, replace your batteries and get on with your life. Done. I've been carrying one in all of my vehicles for years. No more worries about being stranded due to a dead battery.
Why do I have to spend more money to make sure I donā€™t get stranded? Why not produce a product that works?

Guess they should go back to the crank method of starting a vehicle.

Seems thatā€™s where we are headed. It isnā€™t 2022, itā€™s 1922.

Sponsored

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do I have to spend more money to make sure I donā€™t get stranded? Why not produce a product that works?

It does work. Batteries die. They just do. It doesnā€™t cost much to be prepared. If you can afford a $45k-$70k+ truck, you can afford a $50 jump battery for WHEN that happens.

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
It does work. Batteries die. They just do. It doesnā€™t cost much to be prepared. If you can afford a $45k-$70k+ truck, you can afford a $50 jump battery for WHEN that happens.
Or there could be a built in mechanism to let you know the battery is going badā€¦..again, make things work. It isnā€™t 1922.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or there could be a built in mechanism to let you know the battery is going badā€¦..again, make things work. It isnā€™t 1922.
Really? Name ANY manufacturer that has such a mechanism.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
MikešŸ–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link

You don't HAVE to

Sponsored

OP
OP
OVERLORD

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
This thread went into an interesting direction.

In closing...

I don't care about gas mileage; I'm driving a brick anyway.

I don't care about emissions, at all.

I do care about getting stranded.

I do care about wear and tear on components, because the system doubles, or more, the number activations on a given trip

Here's my thought ...

If I make it through till spring, I will replace both batteries in my low miles 2020.

I have remote pigtails on my motorcycle batteries for trickle charging, and testing, if needed.

I think I'll attach one of those pigtails on the secondary battery in an accessible location in the Gladiator.

What say you?

Schumacher Ring Connection Cable for Battery Chargers and Maintainers: 18 inches WM-12 - Advance Auto Parts

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
ASS is hated because of the way it is implemented...Yea, if you like it have at it, but it should default off upon starting the vehicle and (not on). For those who want it to save a few pennies driving in heavy traffic, go head and enable it. But many of us don't drive in heavy traffic and have better and more meaningful ways to feel good about ourselves for "saving the planet" from climate change. šŸ˜‰
I had a 2015 BMW Z4 and when you turned it off, it stayed off. Perhaps that can't be the case anymore.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I think @ShadowsPapa said it too. But they aren't allowed to default to off and claim the mpg benefits. It's that simple. It's sounds ridiculous, but it's the EPA rule.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/

Here is the relevant section:

"But if a vehicleā€™s stop/start system can be permanently turned off, then the vehicleā€™s fuel economy is tested both when stop/start is active and when itā€™s off. The EPA then averages the two tests for a resulting fuel-economy rating found on the carā€™s window stickerā€”which is certain to be lower.
"
Well, that makes me feel better about my JTR mileage. I get about 16 in town and about 18 highway (if I stay below 70 mph). I have 35" tires. Add about 10% to that and it's close to the EPA mileage on the sticker. My ESS has had a warning (the A with a !) for a couple of months and hasn't been working which is fine by me. I'll have the dealer look at it at my first oil change, then pull the Aux cable and the fuse and be done with it. Re-connect it at the next oil change and not worry about it. My voltage reads in the 14s unless I go on a long trip. I'm retired so not commuting.

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Lol, right? Je$us Christ. This board never fails to remind me that people will complain about literally anything.
Yep, complaining about a $60,000 truck where the batteries donā€™t last more than 3 yearsā€¦.I should hang my head in shame.
Sponsored