• Total voters

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
can you share where you are getting 30% from? using the listed EPA numbers from Rams website, I found the Ram 4x4 3.6 is rated at 23 highway, and 4x4 3.0 is rated 27 highway, 30% would put it over their EPA number they listed for the eco diesel.

upload_2018-12-13_15-25-12.png

ethanol free gas is hard to come by around me, when you do its called "rec fuel" and that charge you a pretty penny for it because you know... less is more?

so with your math, for me to drive 192,500 miles, im looking at 11 years... I guess I could make that work

View attachment 6927
The 30% comes from the JK gas vs. diesel on 37" tires, and talking with people who have AEV Rams with gas vs diesel (both HD, and 1500).

My stock JK got 18 mpg, add 4" of lift, 37" tires and now you are pushing 12-14 mpg. That same vehicle with the VM diesel would easily get 20-22 mpg.

While it may not equate out to a 30% improvement on the JT on the window sticker, the gas engines tend to have a larger impact on MPG once you add a lift, tires, etc... compared to the diesel. Unfortunately until the diesel comes out all I can do is extrapolate past experience with how lifted Jeeps are affects with diesel vs. gas engines and take an educated guess.
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
If you're trying to make an honest financial argument for buying a more powerful, more fun engine, well - more power to ya. It's not supposed to make sense like that though ;)

Since you're doing the calcs, do'nt forget the ~200G of DEF you'll need during that 197k miles, and IME oil changes are a bit more expensive on diesels (more oil).

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
drogers said:
If you're trying to make an honest financial argument for buying a more powerful, more fun engine, well - more power to ya. It's not supposed to make sense like that though ;)
Agree. The financial advantage of diesel pretty much went away w/ ULSD -

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

Since you're doing the calcs, do'nt forget the ~200G of DEF you'll need during that 197k miles, and IME oil changes are a bit more expensive on diesels (more oil).
Yep I agree. To me, the diesel is just for a more enjoyable driving experience. Similar to buying a Ford Raptor over a less expensive F150 with less power and more fuel efficient engine.

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK

In all fairness any engine upgrade from stock is more about making a vehicle more enjoyable to drive. The good thing about the diesel is that financially it makes more sense than the 6.4 Hemi upgrades people are doing. :)
Sponsored