John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
ummm.

"On Monday, we published a story to TFLtruck outlining your issues with the EcoDiesel engine in your 2014 – 2016 Ram 1500 trucks."

Isn't this a different engine? I thought the ECO-DIESEL for 2020+ RAMs and JEEPs were different.

IF I'm wrong, I'm sorry.
IF YOU are, c'mon bro, cut it out...

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
We traded our 2015 Ecodiesel GC for our JT. After getting the emissions fix, received a check from FCA, and happily traded for an massive performance upgrade in the Gladiator.

What the article lays out is very close to our experience too. Not saying turbo lag wasn’t always an issue, it was, but two weeks after the emissions flash, performance and mileage dropped, through the floor!

Here’s my other reasons why waiting for the new and improved diesel was a non-starter for me:
  1. Fuel costs, DEF and routine maintenance are substantially higher. No getting around that, even considering better MPG. The ROI is not there.
  2. Resale value; it is not a Cummins, it’s a GM designed passenger vehicle engine. Great for quiet operation but the added expense and low resale value pretty much took it off my list of must have.

The 3.6L works really well, getting 20MPG and my first 40k miles of routine maintenance is free with Jeep Wave. Three things that cost me more $$$ when I had the Ecodiesel.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ummm.

"On Monday, we published a story to TFLtruck outlining your issues with the EcoDiesel engine in your 2014 – 2016 Ram 1500 trucks."

Isn't this a different engine? I thought the ECO-DIESEL for 2020+ RAMs and JEEPs were different.

IF I'm wrong, I'm sorry.
FCA improved the top end, intake and it now has a larger turbo but uses the same block. I’m sure it will be an improvement but would need to consider the ROI, especially if they plan to charge $5k for the engine option.

Daddiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Cherokee XJ, 2004 Crossfire, 2006 300 5.7
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
As a 98-01 XJ owner i am quite skeptical of Chrysler redesigning heads

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
ummm.

IF I'm wrong, I'm sorry.
You are correct the story is about the previous v2 of the engine we are awaiting v3 of the engine

Reactions: JP1

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA improved the top end, intake and it now has a larger turbo but uses the same block. I’m sure it will be an improvement but would need to consider the ROI, especially if they plan to charge $5k for the engine option.

Same basic design.....to which they have made numerous improvements. It's a VM Motori engine btw, built in Italy. Don't bash it until we learn if they did or did not fix the faults of version 2.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I briefly thought about waiting for the diesel, till I found out it cut down on tow capacity. I got my Jeep for two reasons, convertible and tow.
Yeah, a bit ironic isn't it. But do to frame constraints, can't get enough cooling capacity

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
It'll be very interesting to see the new version that's just coming out now for the RAM. By the time it's available for the Gladiator we should hear complaints/concerns/questions.
I'll decide after that.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The upcharge for the Ecodiesel will be cheaper than a hemi swap
+ factory warranty
+ better MPG
Additional maint.= a non-issue for me (YRMV)
I wouldn't tow over ~4K lb so the 'Maximum Tow Rating' = also a non-issue for me (YRMV)

Reactions: JP1

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It'll be very interesting to see the new version that's just coming out now for the RAM. By the time it's available for the Gladiator we should hear complaints/concerns/questions.
I'll decide after that.
Right on

Also, Chevy just released their new 3.0 diesel, cost is the same as opting for the 6.2L upgrade $2495. FCAs version 2 of Ecod was $4500 in the Ram and IIRC $4000 in the GC and that included auto trans.

So with V3 of the EcoD RAM is claiming most TQ and Highest Tow rating. Will they try and reclaim MPG crown and at what cost?

What will that mean for Jeep? Engine cost will be the same as RAM IMO, but will they screw us for another $2000 for the required autotrans?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Same basic design.....to which they have made numerous improvements. It's a VM Motori engine btw, built in Italy. Don't bash it until we learn if they did or did not fix the faults of version 2.
It was a joint GM/VM design for European Cadillac ( https://www.autonews.com/article/20...s-remainder-of-diesel-maker-vm-motori-from-gm ). FCA had it lying around and instead of using the Cummins 4 cylinder, available now as a crate motor for Jeeps, FCA put the 3.0L into production.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)