Sponsored

Wait till oil temp rises before you drive?

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Does anyone who live in the cold parts of the country/world wait every morning after you start the JT for the oil temp to rise and stabilize before you start driving or do you just drive?

What is the recommendation for the Jeep Gladiator? For my other car I own, you don't have to wait and you can just start and go... I used to know the technical reason for this but I forget now...
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone who live in the cold parts of the country/world wait every morning after you start the JT for the oil temp to rise and stabilize before you start driving or do you just drive?

What is the recommendation for the Jeep Gladiator? For my other car I own, you don't have to wait and you can just start and go... I used to know the technical reason for this but I forget now...
You want the oil as warm as possible when it starts so it flows quickly to lubricate the engine. This isn't always possible, so I recommend letting it idle and warm up before putting a load on it. The remote start feature makes this easier to do. The oil in the Gladiator (0W-20) is supposed to flow well in cold weather, so it is supposed to be okay to start and drive right away.

Mine didn't come with a block heater, so I ordered an oil pan heater to install. Plugging it in for a few hours before driving, should be sufficient for me. I ordered the 250 watt model, a Zerostart 3400063, it's $72 on Amazon.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Its actually water temp u want to rise a bit. That low viscosity oil is plenty fine, more so for fuel efficiency. When first starting, engine revs higher to get temp to operating temp. Once there it stabilizes. Main thing is dont cold start and start revving the puss out the motor. In time the damage will present itself. So long as ur easy on the throttle after cold start, u won't have any issues. But giving it a minute or 2 doesn't hurt either.

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase

I typically start mine and let it run until it idles down to about 600 rpms before putting it in gear. When I cold start mine, it will idle at about 1200rpms and over the course of 2-3 minutes gradually drop to 600. Its easier on the motor overall. I'm never in a hurry anyways, so that 2-3min gives me time to quit fidgeting with my phone, charger, radio, or whatever else I'm playing with. I'm not in an extremely cold environment here in DFW, TX. but it does get down to the 20s, and I tend to treat my car like I treat my children, with extra care.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I think the common consensus is that you are fine to start it and drive it but do so gently for a bit until the temps start to come back up. Those who live in really cold climates like Canada or AK might want to give it a minute or two but as said above with the 0W-20 oil spec’d for this truck will start flowing pretty soon. This also assumes that the truck hasn’t sat for 6 months.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Meh, crank it and go, life's too short.
This^^^^

Start it, hook up your seatbelt, check your mirrors and go.. Obviously don't floor it when it's dead cold. I've done this all my life and never had an oil related failure. I'm in SE TX now but drove the same way for years when I lived in upstate New York.

Be.Zick

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
agree with the start it and go. you definitely want the trans and engine to warm up together
Sponsored