• Thread starter Deleted member 21141
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
FCA ain't Amazon guys. I've special-ordered many vehicles from different manufacturers and 8-12 weeks is a normal delivery time. Being able to track orders weekly (daily? hourly?) just makes it seem longer...especially when they get stalled at any point in the process. I was afraid I'd never escape D status. But I did after "only" 45 days. I'm on Day 85 and just got my window sticker this morning. The dealer tells me mine is scheduled to be in Albuquerque on Aug. 5 and then needs to travel to the dealer in Cortez, CO. I expect to take delivery very close to the 15-week mark. I'm very happy with that time frame on a completely new product.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
FCA ain't Amazon guys. I've special-ordered many vehicles from different manufacturers and 8-12 weeks is a normal delivery time. Being able to track orders weekly (daily? hourly?) just makes it seem longer...especially when they get stalled at any point in the process. I was afraid I'd never escape D status. But I did after "only" 45 days. I'm on Day 85 and just got my window sticker this morning. The dealer tells me mine is scheduled to be in Albuquerque on Aug. 5 and then needs to travel to the dealer in Cortez, CO. I expect to take delivery very close to the 15-week mark. I'm very happy with that time frame on a completely new product.

^^^^^
This times 1000.

I’ve ordered several cars and trucks in the past and 10 - 12 weeks is normal. I had one go to 16 weeks.
This is the first one that I had the capability to track and frankly I’m not going to do it. My dealer got the VIN and passed it on to me along with an expected build date +/- so I know it’s in the pipeline.

If it goes past 16 weeks I may be the one bitching but until then I have other things to worry about.

Sponsored

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
^^^^^
This times 1000.

I’ve ordered several cars and trucks in the past and 10 - 12 weeks is normal. I had one go to 16 weeks.
This is the first one that I had the capability to track and frankly I’m not going to do it. My dealer got the VIN and passed it on to me along with an expected build date +/- so I know it’s in the pipeline.

If it goes past 16 weeks I may be the one bitching but until then I have other things to worry about.
Yessir!
In my experience, it's always 12-14 weeks as a standard, regardless of whether it's a brand new model or not. This ordering process is just that much more painful for everyone because of all the news we're able to circulate on this forum, leading some people to believe that the issues on the production is what is slowing it down.

This is the world we live in today. Most of the same issues going on that we had for decades, but now we have social media and the internet feeding us information we never would have had before.

Frankly, I'd be surprised to get a brand new vehicle in less than 90 days, and kind of concerned that they didn't do their Q.C and due diligence on it.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Remember when you would order the x ray glasses from the back of the magazine. You had to get a check from mom and mail it in. Delivery was 4 to 6 weeks. By the time you got it you had forgotten that you ordered it and it was a big surprise.
Or maybe I am just old

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
There are hundreds of Gladiators at dealers, cancel your order and find one! Around me in North VA there are 313 JTs within 50 miles from my house.

https://www.jeep.com/new-inventory....J202011&radius=25&variation=Sport&ref=details
The Jeep website is not even close to accurate. if you look at most of those they will probably say "in transit" so really there are no where near that many actually available. The other side to this is if I am paying 50k +/- for a mid size pickup I am going to get what I want. I have not seen 1 rubicon on a dealer lot that doesn't have leather. I really don't want leather. It is hot and sticky here in Florida not to mention I have found the leather seats to be too firm for my liking. So order it is. I actually think that the ability to "see" where it is with the status updates makes it worse. In a day where Amazon will deliver same day in some instances just makes the process harder to deal with.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The other side to this is if I am paying 50k +/- for a mid size pickup I am going to get what I want. I have not seen 1 rubicon on a dealer lot that doesn't have leather. I really don't want leather.
The reason I've ordered all my vehicles for the past 20 years is so I get exactly what I want. After being stuck in D for a month, I started searching dealers all over Utah and Colorado. When I checked, I did not find a single vehicle with the trail cam...or with a steel bumper...or with cloth seats...let alone with all 3. I also did not want leather. I'm happy to wait to get exactly what I want...well, almost exactly. I will not like the black cloth seats, but I already ordered a set of gray Bartact Tactical seat covers that will pretty much match the Billet Silver exterior and be much cooler than black. However, Bartact sent the wrong color. I will talk to them about that tomorrow.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
This is why I am not upset at the wait. This is the first vehicle I have ordered, everything else I bought off the lot. I placed the order on 5/4 and my vehicle left Toledo on a train a week ago. It seems long to me but I don't have anything to compare it too, so I don't know what a normal time is to custom order a vehicle.

As far as what Amazon does better, I can track anything on the website and get an updated status. I'm a computer guy, there's no reason they couldn't give us an app to check the status. This ticks me off more than the wait

Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
As far as what Amazon does better, I can track anything on the website and get an updated status. I'm a computer guy, there's no reason they couldn't give us an app to check the status. This ticks me off more than the wait
My suspicion is that even though it seems like most people are ordering I would think that it really amounts to a small percentage of overall sales. I don't think it is something they want to invest heavily in for a small percentage of customers. Now the other side of this is that those who ordered are likely the most loyal customers so what is their satisfaction worth. I have owned Jeep and Ram vehicles for a while now and will admit to a bit of a love hate relationship but honestly I haven't had any better or worse experiences with other manufacturers. Well except Mitsubishi, I wouldn't buy one of those with someone else's money.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
My suspicion is that even though it seems like most people are ordering I would think that it really amounts to a small percentage of overall sales. I don't think it is something they want to invest heavily in for a small percentage of customers. Now the other side of this is that those who ordered are likely the most loyal customers so what is their satisfaction worth. I have owned Jeep and Ram vehicles for a while now and will admit to a bit of a love hate relationship but honestly I haven't had any better or worse experiences with other manufacturers. Well except Mitsubishi, I wouldn't buy one of those with someone else's money.
I have owned Jeeps and Ram trucks for years, my first Jeep was a 59 Willys and I think of all the manufacturers over the years, FCA does the best job. But FCA used to have a web link you could use to check status, and they took it down a couple years ago. The cost for it is negligible, the development effort is negligible. This would be an easy win win for FCA and the customer

Rav34653

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Vehicle Showcase
Past research of mfg data by several different studies states the build Time is 6 To 8 weeks for Vehicles mfg in the USA, A new model is no excuse for the delays FCA has caused by a complete lack of competency in managing the Rollout.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Past research of mfg data by several different studies states the build Time is 6 To 8 weeks for Vehicles mfg in the USA, A new model is no excuse for the delays FCA has caused by a complete lack of competency in managing the Rollout.
Right, because it would be much better for things to go wrong once people get ownership of a vehicle.
Things go wrong, or have you always been perfect in everything you do? It has been what, 2 1/2 months since initial order date for LE’s (think I saw 4/28 somewhere). Some JL’s were delayed almost a year from what I heard. Now that’s a lack of competency. This is just a normal course of business as of today’s date. Complain to me once you hit 4 months, otherwise, in the words of Aaron Rodgers, “R-E-L-A-X”

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
IBut FCA used to have a web link you could use to check status, and they took it down a couple years ago. The cost for it is negligible, the development effort is negligible. This would be an easy win win for FCA and the customer
That system was called VOTS (Vehicle Order Tracking System, if I remember correctly)...and you could track your Jeep through the build and the shipping process. I used it with my 2013 JK. It was great. My understanding is that it was discontinued because some bozos using the internet decided to show up at various shipping points and demand access to the vehicles that they ordered. There's always a few jerks that ruin it for everyone else. While I would prefer to still have that system in place, I think Jeep has done an overall decent job with the launch and orders. Yes, there have been hiccups...understandable with a new model despite what some people think.

When I ordered my GMC Canyon, there was no way to track it or get updates on the order. Here is a quote from an email I sent to the salesman in October, 2015: "GM should develop a system like Chrysler that allows the customer to track an ordered vehicle through virtually every stage of production and along to nearly every railroad stop." It took 11 weeks to get the Canyon.

My Gladiator will be delivered about 2-3 weeks after the 12-week time I originally planned taking into account past experience. I'm ok with that. It's amusing to hear some people who are clueless about what it takes to run a large corporation cry incompetency. Much of what I read on this forum is pure conjecture that seems to morph into accepted fact through repetition.
Sponsored

Last edited: