Sponsored

Warn Winch VR10s install, anyone done one?

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ā€˜82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
12s on RR HD. Vary tight fit.
You can adjust the wires for better routing.
Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch VR10s install, anyone done one? F03A8EAA-A76F-427F-A124-A9145BFFFE20
Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch VR10s install, anyone done one? 8496BE6A-F64C-4234-BE06-B6C6BE47BCC8

Partysub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 sting gray mojave
I installed a 12S that I got for a really good deal ($575)on the RR stubby. Just like buzzlb, it's a very tight fit even with the 1/4 bumper spacers from a member on here, but still fits.
Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch VR10s install, anyone done one? 20220521_160326
Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch VR10s install, anyone done one? 20220521_160332

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
I got the 4 bolts torqued down the 35 ft lbs but it sure seems like a lot of pressure for those 4 bolts. The only place the bumper is bolted is at the front of the frame rails. I'll have to give it a good test pull and see if there is any movement or flex.

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
I have the factory plastic Rubicon bumper and factory steel skid plate. I wanted to keep weight down and use what I already had. I installed the Warn EVO 12S, Maximus-3 winch plate, Go Rhino 332000T Rockline Textured Black Fairlead Mount Plate (to take up some space between the winch and the plastic bumper), Tuffy license plate holder, Maximus-3 Tow/D-ring brackets. I bought the winch/mount plate kit from RubiTrux. Great price, no sales tax, and free shipping. I had to cut up the plastic and steel factory bumper, but the mounting plate fit perfect. I got the idea from a gentleman, Toby W, on the JLForums website who made his own winch plate and kept his plastic bumper. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/winch-mount-for-plastic-bumper.7605/

Howdy Jim,

I just want to confirm that you used a STOCK PLASTIC RUBICON bumper to do this winch mount.

You say you used "Go Rhino 332000T Rockline Textured Black Fairlead Mount Plate (to take up some space between the winch and the plastic bumper),"

You also said, "I had to cut up the plastic and steel factory bumper, but the mounting plate fit perfect."

Could you explain what your talking about as regards taking up space, is this an additional part that is not included in the winch mount kit?

Also you talk about cutting the "plastic and steel" factory bumper, did you have to cut or modify any of the steel part of the bumper or just the plastic part?

I need clarification on these two points if you have the time. I am working on something that might make this much easier but I need more information from you. Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Dave

Sponsored

Trekkor2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Howdy Jim,

I just want to confirm that you used a STOCK PLASTIC RUBICON bumper to do this winch mount.

You say you used "Go Rhino 332000T Rockline Textured Black Fairlead Mount Plate (to take up some space between the winch and the plastic bumper),"

You also said, "I had to cut up the plastic and steel factory bumper, but the mounting plate fit perfect."

Could you explain what your talking about as regards taking up space, is this an additional part that is not included in the winch mount kit?

Also you talk about cutting the "plastic and steel" factory bumper, did you have to cut or modify any of the steel part of the bumper or just the plastic part?

I need clarification on these two points if you have the time. I am working on something that might make this much easier but I need more information from you. Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Dave
Hello Mr. Cob, I will answer your questions.
1. Yes, it is the factory Plastic Rubicon bumper. I don't know if the plastic bumper on the Sport or other models would work, but I believe they would. The shapes of the base bumper and the Rubicon plastic bumper are very similar.
2. Behind the plastic cover, there is another plastic piece that is called the Bumper Reinforcement and behind that is a metal plate that is called the Bumper Beam. I am attaching a photo of the two pieces after they are cut. Both the Bumper Reinforcement and the Bumper Beam have to be cut. I just used a cut off wheel on the plastic and metal piece to remove the material between the two frame rails.
3. When you remove all of the bumper pieces, you are left with the two frame rail members that the bumper mounts on. These frame rail members are the same on all Gladiators (and probably Wranglers, too). Any winch plate should mount between these two frame members.
4. After installing the winch plate between the two frame rails and putting the winch on it, I found that the distance between the front of the winch did not allow me to mount the plastic bumper cover directly to winch. This might not be a problem with another winch plate. I added the Go Rhino 332000T Rockline Textured Black Fairlead Mount Plate to the winch plate hoping to take up the space between the front of the winch and the plastic cover. It helped but did not reach the plastic cover. There was still a gap, so I added another fairlead to the front of the Go Rhino plate and the plastic cover. You can't see it unless you look down from the top of the bumper (it is red in my pictures). After installing the plastic cover, I added the Maximus fairlead plate and the Warn Fairlead to the front of the bumper. And I also added a license plate mount.
5. The gentleman that I got the idea from built his own winch plate, so he was able to extend the nose of the plate to reach the plastic bumper, He didn't need pieces to fill in the gap.
6. It would have been much simpler to just replace the plastic bumper with a metal one, but I wanted to save weight if possible. I would have to add a winch plate regardless, unless I went with an aftermarket bumper that included it. I believe I saved about 30 pounds.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Maximus winch plate kit.png

Bumper parts.png

Go Rhino plate.png

9B6HE2s.jpg

IyWydje.jpg

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
Hello Mr. Cob, I will answer your questions.
1. Yes, it is the factory Plastic Rubicon bumper. I don't know if the plastic bumper on the Sport or other models would work, but I believe they would. The shapes of the base bumper and the Rubicon plastic bumper are very similar.
2. Behind the plastic cover, there is another plastic piece that is called the Bumper Reinforcement and behind that is a metal plate that is called the Bumper Beam. I am attaching a photo of the two pieces after they are cut. Both the Bumper Reinforcement and the Bumper Beam have to be cut. I just used a cut off wheel on the plastic and metal piece to remove the material between the two frame rails.
3. When you remove all of the bumper pieces, you are left with the two frame rail members that the bumper mounts on. These frame rail members are the same on all Gladiators (and probably Wranglers, too). Any winch plate should mount between these two frame members.
4. After installing the winch plate between the two frame rails and putting the winch on it, I found that the distance between the front of the winch did not allow me to mount the plastic bumper cover directly to winch. This might not be a problem with another winch plate. I added the Go Rhino 332000T Rockline Textured Black Fairlead Mount Plate to the winch plate hoping to take up the space between the front of the winch and the plastic cover. It helped but did not reach the plastic cover. There was still a gap, so I added another fairlead to the front of the Go Rhino plate and the plastic cover. You can't see it unless you look down from the top of the bumper (it is red in my pictures). After installing the plastic cover, I added the Maximus fairlead plate and the Warn Fairlead to the front of the bumper. And I also added a license plate mount.
5. The gentleman that I got the idea from built his own winch plate, so he was able to extend the nose of the plate to reach the plastic bumper, He didn't need pieces to fill in the gap.
6. It would have been much simpler to just replace the plastic bumper with a metal one, but I wanted to save weight if possible. I would have to add a winch plate regardless, unless I went with an aftermarket bumper that included it. I believe I saved about 30 pounds.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch VR10s install, anyone done one? IyWydje

Howdy Jim,

Thanks for your reply, it helped but I am still confused, no need for alarm this is my normal state.

Instead of using all the fairlead pieces, couldn't a person just make one spacer that goes between the winch mount and the inside of the plastic bumper?

I guess until a person actually takes the bumper off and mounts the winch plate it's kinda hard to visualize what needs to be cut.

Dave

Trekkor2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Howdy Jim,

Thanks for your reply, it helped but I am still confused, no need for alarm this is my normal state.

Instead of using all the fairlead pieces, couldn't a person just make one spacer that goes between the winch mount and the inside of the plastic bumper?

I guess until a person actually takes the bumper off and mounts the winch plate it's kinda hard to visualize what needs to be cut.

Dave
I agree with your idea. I just didnā€™t have the capability to fabricate the spacer, so I built it using individual parts. Also, another winch mounting plate such as the Warn plate might eliminate the need for the spacer. Good luck.

jmgb91

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom Max Tow, 2004 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Fitness Trainer
Like others, Warn 10s with Warn winch plate. No fit issues whatsoever.

Hey man! How did you hide the wires? Also, did you manage to fit the bottom winch bolts that bolt it to the plate all the way through? Iā€™m struggling on my install! :/

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Hey man! How did you hide the wires? Also, did you manage to fit the bottom winch bolts that bolt it to the plate all the way through? Iā€™m struggling on my install! :/
Itā€™s been a while but I used all provided hardware except the fairlead bolts. wires were routed under the grill and up the by the frame rail then along the fender wall.

70D6A8D2-0BE3-459C-B90B-7E29B7FDB892.jpeg

D222C2F3-C941-4C6C-AAB8-37C78B729992.jpeg

67C3F561-B9F2-4AC7-BA6B-969C33D32F47.jpeg

MudderNuker

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired@52
Did mine today while I was installing a steel bumper. Aligning the winch plate with the factory bumper bolt holes was a pain but we got it done. I installed the front license plate until I get the JT registered on NM next week. NM does not require front LP.
Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch VR10s install, anyone done one? IMG_8677
Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch VR10s install, anyone done one? IMG_8672
Got the title today after paying it off. Feels good. I like the looks of the new bumper. I'm pleased with the fit and finish. Only thing I didn't like was the sensor hole plugs which are garbage. Just ordred rubber plugs that will mold to the bumper contour.
Sponsored