hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow Pkg
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Some of you have asked me about the major upgrades on our build.

Our entire build series can be found on YouTube here.

But the highlights of the build are:

Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow Package. 4.10 gears, automatic transmission, 1535 lb payload
MOPAR 2" lift
TeraFlex 3.5" rear coil springs
Airlift 1000lb air bags
Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
WARN Diamond Cutter wheels
BFG KO2 AT tires (34 10.50) Basically a 33.5" tire which was recommended by experienced international overlanders
Alu-Cab Canopy Camper (we reversed the main entry door as our living area is on the passenger side)
Alu-Cab Shadow Awning
Alu-Cab Shower Cube
Alu-Cab 13 gallon potable water tank
REDARC Manager30 with RedVision system
280 watts of solar by Cascadia 4x4
170ah Renogy Lithium Battery for the house
Webasto Gasoline Heater
Long Range America 17 gallon external fuel tank
Goose Gear Double Drawer modules x2
Goose Gear Utility Cabinets x2
Goose Gear Bulkhead
Goose Gear Deckplate
Goose Gear corner unit
Goose Gear 60 High seat delete
Goose Gear solo fridge slide
National Luna Legacy 50 fridge/freezer
Rigid Industries E-Series Pro 10" light bar
Rigid Industries fog lights
Rigid Industries Flood and Spot pod lights
Rigid Industries Scene lights (amber and white)
WARN 9.5xp winch with Spydura Nightline rope and Hub wireless controller
AEV Snorkel with Sy-Klone prefilter
RockHard 4x4 Aluminum front bumper with lowered winch plate

Obviously there is a lot of gear that we are carrying which I'll save for another thread on gear. But that's pretty much the highlights of the build itself.

We'll be at Overland Expo Mountain West in the showcase area, and at Overland Expo West in the Goose Gear booth this year if anyone is going to either event.

We'd love to connect with other JT overlanders.

Let us know what you think!

Eric + Brittany + Caspian Highland
HourlessLife
Sponsored

Last edited:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Safe Trip & Thanks for the ride along!

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So the elephant in the room….just living off of the USCG retirement pay? Not knocking it but just jealous. My buddy is USN retired and is van lifing…originally in a VW bus! He’s on Instagram at @go_see.do. He stayed a few nights when they hit South Florida.

makes me wish I wouldve stayed in long enough to retire.

be well

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
So the elephant in the room….just living off of the USCG retirement pay? Not knocking it but just jealous. My buddy is USN retired and is van lifing…originally in a VW bus! He’s on Instagram at @go_see.do. He stayed a few nights when they hit South Florida.

makes me wish I wouldve stayed in long enough to retire.

be well
For the most part. Remember I don't have a mortgage, own a television or couch, lawn mower, have HOA fees, or property taxes etc. Also my wife and I created 5 business entities after I retired from service in 2010. We sold those as well which helped to make the trip a reality. Our entire story of how we got to this point is documented in our "The Long Game" video. But the spoiler is we aren't wealthy, just intentional. Hope that makes sense. ~ E

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Whoa! Another Caspian/en. Is that your real name? Don't think we've actually run across another Caspian.

I'm half laughing about the weight question, because we're really interested in the total weight of the setup too. We started with the 2nd highest payload Gladiator you can get off the factory floor. The only JT higher than ours is the standard transmission version of ours at 1700 lbs.

The Rubicon I believe starts with 1200 lbs, and of course anything added including larger tires, rock sliders, skid plates, bumpers, winch, etc all add up really quick.

We actually started with a spreadsheet when we began our build. We were very careful and intentional about everything we added, Because we have to be ready for four seasons as full-time overlanders, we typically carry quite a bit more gear than your typical weekender or week long type overlander. Ultimately this rig is our home. So even with as careful as we've been, I'm always looking to see where we can reduce weight, and I'm sure we've exceeded payload some. We'll have to see how much once we are fully loaded.

Pretty soon we'll fill all of the aux tanks (fuel and water) and our fridge, load our gear and ourselves as if we were headed off on our journey south of the border and head to a scale. When that happens, we'll be happy to post what we've learned.

Though we have a lot of experience traveling full-time we are by no means perfect. The only thing we're really experts at is learning from our own mistakes. So we'll see and keep y'all posted.
Lol, nah.. my name was originally came up with, back in my elementary school days, when I first started playing D&D. We we're learning about the Caspian Sea.. I decided to change the spelling up, and have been using "Caspien" for various things ever since :)

So no, I'm not a "real" Caspian, but have been using it for nearly 40 years *grin*

As for the payload, I've pretty much come to the realization that I'll be adjusting my original ideas, and just towing something behind :)

So yeah, definitely interested in what you're total weight is, after the fact :)

~ Casp

Sponsored

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, nah.. my name was originally came up with, back in my elementary school days, when I first started playing D&D. We we're learning about the Caspian Sea.. I decided to change the spelling up, and have been using "Caspien" for various things ever since :)

So no, I'm not a "real" Caspian, but have been using it for nearly 40 years *grin*

As for the payload, I've pretty much come to the realization that I'll be adjusting my original ideas, and just towing something behind :)

So yeah, definitely interested in what you're total weight is, after the fact :)

~ Casp
I cast magic missile into the darkness...

That made me laugh. I started playing in 1977 as a 7 year old kid with the Basic set. Funny too because when Caspian introduces himself to people, he typically says, "Hi I'm Caspian, like the Caspian Sea."

Yeah, I'm curious about the weight too. We'll find out soon enough. ~ E

jtim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon
Welcome Eric. Glad you made a post on here. I met you guys at Turtleback Trailers earlier this year. Been following your build and videos. Excited to see more travels!

The Gladiator looks great!

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome Eric. Glad you made a post on here. I met you guys at Turtleback Trailers earlier this year. Been following your build and videos. Excited to see more travels!

The Gladiator looks great!
Right on! That Turtleback event was fun. We can't wait until October. Got a few more events first.. but then we get to start the real adventure. ~ E

wwcenturion

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT
Occupation
Project Manager
We are an American family of 3 getting ready to drive around the world in a Jeep Gladiator.

We have been traveling full-time (owning no home or property) since February 2014, and our son Caspian joined the mix in December 2016. He's been a full-time traveler since birth.

This is my first post in the Jeep Gladiator forums, though I've been reading a ton of posts here for what feels like years.

On May 31, 2021 we picked up our stock Jeep Gladiator Sport S (with Max Tow) and on July 21, 2021 45 days later the rig was "finished" and I put that in quotes because you know what I mean.

Here is DAUNTLESS:

Jeep-Gladiator-Overland-Build-Suspension.png

We did an entire build series on YouTube if anyone is really that interested. You can find the build series here.

I'm mostly active on the Expedition Portal forums, but I've learned so much from y'all that I wanted to finally introduce ourselves to the Jeep Gladiator Forum Community. Hope you'll welcome us.

If you'd like to get to know us, you can find us on all the socials at HourlessLife.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and hope to get to know some folks here.

Eric + Brittany + Caspian Highland
Hourless Life
Welcome. Awesome build. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds great
Thanks! I see you are up in Austin. The final shop in our build was Just Jeeps. Austin was our home base before we started traveling full-time back in February 2014.

ruggburnout

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Automotive
I found your YouTube channel a few weeks ago while searching for Gladiator mods, specifically the AluCab. I've been watching your build for inspiration.

I ordered an AT Overland Atlas. Only have to wait until next April to pick it up... :(. I'm making a trip from Detroit area to Arizona for the install.

Best of luck on your journey! I'm hoping to do something similar in a few years when I can 'retire' in my late 40s/early 50s

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
For the most part. Remember I don't have a mortgage, own a television or couch, lawn mower, have HOA fees, or property taxes etc. Also my wife and I created 5 business entities after I retired from service in 2010. We sold those as well which helped to make the trip a reality. Our entire story of how we got to this point is documented in our "The Long Game" video. But the spoiler is we aren't wealthy, just intentional. Hope that makes sense. ~ E

Definitely worth watching this video. Great couple. I'll be following you and rooting for your fun and safe travels.
I'm an Ecuador expert so get in touch when you get there. I'll give you some hints.

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
I found your YouTube channel a few weeks ago while searching for Gladiator mods, specifically the AluCab. I've been watching your build for inspiration.

I ordered an AT Overland Atlas. Only have to wait until next April to pick it up... :(. I'm making a trip from Detroit area to Arizona for the install.

Best of luck on your journey! I'm hoping to do something similar in a few years when I can 'retire' in my late 40s/early 50s
Right on! What I love about your post the most is that you aren't just talking about doing it, you are taking practical action. Good on you!

Even if you have to wait until April to pick it up, man you are light years ahead of anyone who is dreaming and hasn't taken any concrete actions. This is how it really starts.

Thanks for watching our build series. If I can be a resource for you please don't hesitate to ask. Be patient. Remember it took us 10 years to get to this point. It is worth the wait.

Man I'm so stoked for you.

Eric

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely worth watching this video. Great couple. I'll be following you and rooting for your fun and safe travels.
I'm an Ecuador expert so get in touch when you get there. I'll give you some hints.
I will take all of the Ecuador connections and tips you can send my way. Thanks for the kind words on our Long Game video. It's really been a long road. But we're finally here, at the cusp of our global adventure and it feels incredible.

When we are in Mexico, we'll be planning our Central and South America portion of the journey. I'll be putting a call out on our social channels for connections and tips for the various countries we'll be going through. Would love to add your tips and people to the list. It will all be kept on a secure spreadsheet. ~ Eric

P.S. If by chance you make it down the Corpus way between July 31 and August 15 please let me know. Would love to chat with you over some wings or something.
Sponsored