Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They'll all be different........ little real use comparing.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
There are federal regulations that classify a truck - though they have changed over the years. For example, a class 2a light duty vehicle is 6,001 - 8,000 pounds GVW, basically your 150 or 1500 series or large SUV. Class 2b - would be the 'midsize' pickup, or 250/2500 at 8,001 - 10,000 GVW, etc....

So yes they wouldn't want the gladiator to compete with a midsize, sure thats probably true. I also dont think the gladiator would be good to be classified as a midsize. Plus there are some dimensional restrictions in that regard as well I believe.
The Gladiator is the mid-size much like everything else in the segment... it's basically the collection of 74-77" wide pickups currently available whereas the old Ranger, first gen Tacoma, etc were all compacts in the 71-72" range. The old Dakota, T100, and first-gen Tundra were all mid-size back in the day wheras all full-size pickups have mostly been 79-79.9" (and up for many) for about 50 years. The gladiator cab is very much a compact size cab but the extended fenders put the actual width in mid-size territory.

The size classifications are entirely independent of the weight classes but it used to be that mid-size (GM twins and Tacoma) were all under 6k GVWR (so class 1) with the "half ton" class starting right around or just above 6k (class 2a). It was a clean break that's no longer clean thanks to the Ranger and Gladiator both coming in north of 6k which now means some of the midsize are a 2a truck.

But it's all irrelevant to my point that they just don't want to siphon sales from themselves. If you can stick two people in the cab and a full ton in the bed of a mid-size, it makes buying a full-size much less necessary for people carrying tools and equipment that just need capacity over size.

edit: I think you might be conflating midsize and medium trucks... midsize are light trucks, medium are 10k - 26k which is basically F350 through F650.
Sponsored