mbush91

mbush91

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Search for Fluid Film (rust inhibitor). Easy to apply yourself (although very messy) and helps stave off rust.
Will definitely look into this!

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
OMG 84 months!?!?!?! I would say ensure you have the extended warranty to cover it the entire life of the loan.

Just do regular maintenance and just take care of it. Fix things as they happen or appears to happen.

Enjoy it...

(I'm sorry, I just can't get over taking out a loan for that long)
People say this but it 100% depends on your APR and your financial discipline. I would gladly take 84 months at like 1.9% or better but the only time I pulled that off was when Ford fucked up and gave me 84 at 0%

For OP, I moved to Arizona. Only have to worry about paint and regular maintenance now.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Parking in garage, or under some type of cover at minimum, is probably the best you can do. Also, don't drive it like a dumbass and it will last a nice long time.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
how important is wax to actually keeping paint from coming off? I could care less if mine looks shiny or clean, but I have noticed my paint chipping on my 7 year old Prius that was only garage kept 6 months or so of its life.

If it is important my kids will be getting a lesson in Miagio-do karate soon.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I got the 84 month loan too with 1.89% interest. Cosmetic stuff doesn't bother me. I still wax and condition the plastic though. I always let my vehicles warm up before I pull out of the driveway whether it's 20 below or 100 outside. And i go easy on acceleration until it's up to temp.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
how important is wax to actually keeping paint from coming off? I could care less if mine looks shiny or clean, but I have noticed my paint chipping on my 7 year old Prius that was only garage kept 6 months or so of its life.

If it is important my kids will be getting a lesson in Miagio-do karate soon.
A quality wax is huge for protecting the clear coat which is what keeps your paint looking good. Over the years, the clear will wear through and peel and your truck will get that frosted look.

Chipping is just the nature of paint and it's going to be a problem on these Jeeps because it's such a hard application. It's a trade-off where they take less damage from things that scratch but when impacted by a rock or something, they're going to chip. All you can do is touch up and then coat with wax to protect it.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Will definitely look into this!
Don't look into it, do it. Best time to coat the frame is when you get home from taking delivery. Frame will never be cleaner it it only takes a few minuets.

I get my fluid film from Advanced Auto Parts. Order on line for store pick up. If you order on line a 25% off cupon will pop up.

You can also get a multi pack from some websites for a little more, but I like getting it from Advanced Auto.

Spray it once a year

If you want to keep the top and plastics looking nice, Aero 303 or Turtle Ice works great.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I'm 31, I do not expect to have this Jeep the rest of my life. I will enjoy it for as long as I can, or until life changes and something else is needed, and not worry about keeping it perfect for decades. There is no point in having a vehicle this fun if you never use it to have fun.
Right? Unfortunately this new stuff is disposable.......

I'm getting the 84mo warranty and will probably sell it with warranty remaining. I just sold a 2006 Cummins truck that I preserved for the next owner and didn't get that much more money for it......

I am thinking about ceramic coatings though just of my ease of care?

Use it, but don't thrash it, then throw it in the dumpster an get another. I don't like this way of thinking, but I'm living in a world I don't want to participate in for the most part and this is how things are. Lucky I'm in a business that needs a pickup and an off road type vehicle for display so the depreciation helps the cost.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Best way to keep it for a long time?
Put it in the garage and forget it's there...

Kevin

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Don’t drive it there is somebody out there just looking for a new vehicle to run into put in your living room and just look at it

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the #2 category and baby it like it was a child. I have 5 cars to tend too and this is not my daily.

Bruce

FoxForce4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT HA
People say this but it 100% depends on your APR and your financial discipline. I would gladly take 84 months at like 1.9% or better but the only time I pulled that off was when Ford fucked up and gave me 84 at 0%

For OP, I moved to Arizona. Only have to worry about paint and regular maintenance now.
Low cost debt is your best friend, if you can afford it, which seems counterintuitive but it's not.

If you have $1mm in the bank and you buy a house for $1mm, if the bank says " We'll give you the mortgage at 2%. How much do you want to borrow and how much do you want to put down and for how long?" your answer should be "all you'll give me" and "as little as I can" and "for as long as I can".

Why? Putting aside the fact that your real rate after your tax deduction on a mortgage is probably really in the 1.75% range (not the case in a vehicle loan- no deduction), you can make $ on the bank's money.

You're paying 2.5% on your mortgage a year- $25k in interest. Typically 30 year term. You take your million in cash you didn't put in the house and invest it- pick whatever you want. If you're able to beat 2.5% over the long term, that money is pure profit for you. So if you somehow end up making 4% a year on average over those 30 years, a reasonable but not risk free number, you'll net out $450,000 in cash vs 0 if you put the full $1mm into the house. That's assume you just put the extra $15k you get a year into a mattress and don't invest it. If you invested it annually at the same 4%, you'd end up in 30 years with $841,000, net.

And because you have a 30 year term, you'll be able to take more risk in your investing, so it probably won't be 4%. It'll be more than that.

On TOP of that, when you get gains on your house, even if they just move with inflation, the return on money invested in the house is massive- Say you had to put $100,000 down on that $1mm house. If the house goes up with inflation (assume 2%- I know inflation hasn't been that high, but just assume it) the house will go up $20k a year. That's not a 2% gain on your investment, that's a 20% gain on your money down.

Why do you think people get rich in real estate? Leverage, baby. Just gotta be able to pay the monthly nut and you'll be fine over time. Better than fine.

What sucks about this? You only get the hot 2.5% rate if you don't NEED to borrow the money. So when they say the rich get richer...that's what they mean.

None of this is an inducement to lever the hell out of yourself if you DON'T have the money to cover the loan. It's just suggesting that what we all heard from our moms and dads about not owing money is good advice- IF YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY. If you do, it's terrible advice.

I bought the jeep on credit even though I could pay cash. Why? Because my bank gave me 2%. Challenge accepted. 0% down, even financed the taxes.

NONE OF THIS IS FINANCIAL ADVICE, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF SOMEONE MISUNDERSTANDS AND ENDS UP OWNING 3 HOUSES AND LOSES EM ALL.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Mine was pinstriped the day after I bought it. I bought mine to be used as an overlander and it's going to continue to get chips, pinstriping, and broken bits. I will replace the broken parts, wash it when it gets dirty and certainly keep up on the preventive maintenance.

The reality is that we live in a world where paint fades, chrome dulls, and friction acts on moving parts. All of that can be fixed if you are willing to spend the time and money to do so. Let's face it, these machines are more durable and arguably more reliable than we are. There are vehicles on the road that are older than I am and that's a testament to someone's willingness to keep it road worthy.
Sponsored