Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Ow!! GDamn!!
Seriously so sick of laying in bed or the couch for the last two weeks keeping my foot elevated, I went out and taught myself how to drive left foot brake, left foot gas.

I am now another "people of Walmart "

Jeep Gladiator What do YOU do to make your Gladiator last forever. IMG_5342

Jeep Gladiator What do YOU do to make your Gladiator last forever. 20210122_100426
Sponsored

John Hursh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Beermeister
Wash it regularly - especially after salt exposures; keep it garaged when not in use; service by the book, including radiator drain and flush every 3 years.

I also keep Decon mouse killer in the garage. When we moved my JKU had to sit out while we on loaded boxes in the garage. A squirrel chewed through a hose before I could get it in the garage. Rodents like the new wiring and hose components.

FoxForce4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT HA
You're obviously an employee and not a business owner.

I've paid cash for my last four vehicles. There's very little as satisfying as when the finance guy asks how you'd like to finance the car, asking if they'll take a personal check. Your home is the place you have to live. It's value is locked up. If you want to make money borrowing money, create your own business. and enjoy all those tax breaks that were taken away from employees over the years.
I'm not catching your point, though I'm sure it's there. Is there a circumstances where it's better to put cash into anything you could finance for below your ERR? I suppose so, if you can't take volatility for some reason- that's not a dig. People have different financial situations and cashflow needs.

I personally don't get much of a charge from telling the finance guy or any stranger much- he's a ship in the night, so big wheeling him, or anyone really, doesn't seem to be worth the financial tradeoff. The one thing that may be satisfying is not handing over financial info to a new lender, but that can be avoided by working with your usual lender who has it already (in my case, the bank).

Home values are not necessarily locked up, though cash-out refinancing doesn't usually end up with the lights-out financial gain of a straight mortgage and is capped anyway given mortgage deduction limits. I'd think of it more in terms of downsizing or moving to a cheaper area. Nice little ca-ching out the door, and a nice levered pickup.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. The one quibble that could be had in my mortgage deduction scenario is I used an i/o instead of amortizing; the net would be lower, but i/os can still be had, so that's what I used. I did however assume no deduction, so it's a pretty fair layout of the scenario potential payoff.

It's pretty crazy how low spreads remain in consumer finance in the middle of a pandemic. If you want to give me 2% over term for just about anything, I'm a buyer!

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Many comments already.....

besides regular recommended maintenance, a good DIY ceramic coat will do wonders! Don’t pay anyone. It’s insane.
If in the snow belt, treat the under carriage with something. Don’t use fluid film. It’s messy and only marginally affective. I use CRC Marine. It’s not sticky, doesn’t come off unless you want it too. Wool Wax is also a good product.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not catching your point, though I'm sure it's there. Is there a circumstances where it's better to put cash into anything you could finance for below your ERR? I suppose so, if you can't take volatility for some reason- that's not a dig. People have different financial situations and cashflow needs.

I personally don't get much of a charge from telling the finance guy or any stranger much- he's a ship in the night, so big wheeling him, or anyone really, doesn't seem to be worth the financial tradeoff. The one thing that may be satisfying is not handing over financial info to a new lender, but that can be avoided by working with your usual lender who has it already (in my case, the bank).

Home values are not necessarily locked up, though cash-out refinancing doesn't usually end up with the lights-out financial gain of a straight mortgage and is capped anyway given mortgage deduction limits. I'd think of it more in terms of downsizing or moving to a cheaper area. Nice little ca-ching out the door, and a nice levered pickup.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. The one quibble that could be had in my mortgage deduction scenario is I used an i/o instead of amortizing; the net would be lower, but i/os can still be had, so that's what I used. I did however assume no deduction, so it's a pretty fair layout of the scenario potential payoff.

It's pretty crazy how low spreads remain in consumer finance in the middle of a pandemic. If you want to give me 2% over term for just about anything, I'm a buyer!
People on forums always get amped up when it comes to financing. Not sure why. Some pay cash, some finance and some lease. Neither are good nor are they bad.
But I will say that over the years I have learned a few things.

-Always let the back office think you are financing. Take the financing....heck, even take the crappy rate they offer. They make LOTS of money and you can use that to leverage down your car price. Then, pay it off before you make the first payment. That what a well educated cash buyer does.

- Most people who talk about the low finance rates and would rather borrow because money is cheap vs paying cash, likely can’t pay cash anyway. It’s just talk.

- There is not one best approach. You can get a horrible deal paying cash, leasing, or financing. It really doesn’t matter

Peace!

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Seriously so sick of laying in bed or the couch for the last two weeks keeping my foot elevated, I went out and taught myself how to drive left foot brake, left foot gas.

I am now another "people of Walmart "

Get hand controls off Amazon. I was told its illegal to drive with the left foot, but I got a set of clip on hand controls for $90 when my ankle was trashed. Took some time to get used to but kept me on the road even for longer trips.

FoxForce4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT HA
People on forums always get amped up when it comes to financing. Not sure why. Some pay cash, some finance and some lease. Neither are good nor are they bad.
But I will say that over the years I have learned a few things.

-Always let the back office think you are financing. Take the financing....heck, even take the crappy rate they offer. They make LOTS of money and you can use that to leverage down your car price. Then, pay it off before you make the first payment. That what a well educated cash buyer does.

- Most people who talk about the low finance rates and would rather borrow because money is cheap vs paying cash, likely can’t pay cash anyway. It’s just talk.

- There is not one best approach. You can get a horrible deal paying cash, leasing, or financing. It really doesn’t matter

Peace!
I'll agree with your first point. Absolutely no reason in any financial transaction to share any more than is absolutely necessary. In my case, FCA's rate was ok, the bank's was much better. FCA was 80 bp wide.

As to your second point, that hasn't been my experience. Plenty of people I'm sure we both know that could drive off a half dozen or more of the same truck for cash without too much trouble. Financially, there's no rational argument for doing so if you're able to work the carry. Not every argument is financial of course.

It is possible the folks you're talking with are imbeciles. Doesn't mean that people who can afford to pay cash don't finance things when the numbers work. Consider the constituency of who you're spending most of your time talking to about such matters. They may not be reflective of all, or even most borrowers.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I'll agree with your first point. Absolutely no reason in any financial transaction to share any more than is absolutely necessary. In my case, FCA's rate was ok, the bank's was much better. FCA was 80 bp wide.

As to your second point, that hasn't been my experience. Plenty of people I'm sure we both know that could drive off a half dozen or more of the same truck for cash without too much trouble. Financially, there's no rational argument for doing so if you're able to work the carry. Not every argument is financial of course.

It is possible the folks you're talking with are imbeciles. Doesn't mean that people who can afford to pay cash don't finance things when the numbers work. Consider the constituency of who you're spending most of your time talking to about such matters. They may not be reflective of all, or even most borrowers.
I am in my 50s. The average person my age who has a savings has about $80,000 saved. That’s really pathetic.

What this also tells me is that practically no one pays cash.

2ligit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP GLADIATOR
i over maintain the vehicle. I use synthetic oil (Mobil 1 ) Every 3-4000 miles. Battery every two years. I don't care if it is still "good" . As it gets older and starts losing it charge quicker , it puts strain on the electrical system . Transmission fluid change at 50000. Synthetic also . Coolant change every 2 years. Linseed oil coating for rust protection every year. Gear changes every 25000. Synthetic. I know it is over kill but the cars i have maintained are still running very well to this day. My 1989 Chevy Cavalier z-24 has over a million miles and has only gone through 2 transmissions. My 1998 Pontiac Bonneville Is still going strong with that beautiful 3.8 v6. Last I heard, she had 750000 miles on her and one transmission. These cars are still in Long Island, NY where I sold them.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How did all that help with resale? I'm doing that for mine too. I've only had it for a little over a month, but I have a maintenance log, and a book tracking all mods.
If your doing your own maintenance and trying to keep resale value up, you need to go into your Mopar portal and record your maintenance there. That is where any dealership that is considering trade in value is going to look

Sponsored

FoxForce4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT HA
I am in my 50s. The average person my age who has a savings has about $80,000 saved. That’s really pathetic.

What this also tells me is that practically no one pays cash.

Tough spot to be buying a new vehicle under any circumstances.

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Ohhh touched a nerve did I? Someone else apparently financed for 84 months. Great financial move!

Really? Who cares not everyone is rich like you? Did you pay in cash for your Gladiator if not can’t believe you would finance a vehicle. Then you recommend spending even more money on a worthless extended warranty. Your two statements contradict themselves.

Last edited:

Hardhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Ram Diesel, 95 Jeep Wrangler, 21 Jeep Gladiator
I'll be picking up my custom Willy's tomorrow as my first jeep. I'm doing an 84 month loans and I plan on having this thing a LONG time. Other than keeping up on regular maintenance and keeping it in the garage, what do you do to keep it going and looking like new?
Lift it and wheel it hard

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Get hand controls off Amazon. I was told its illegal to drive with the left foot, but I got a set of clip on hand controls for $90 when my ankle was trashed. Took some time to get used to but kept me on the road even for longer trips.
That is actually not true. Think about people that don't actually have a right leg.
My father in-law actually drives left foot brake right foot gas which I never knew.
Anyways once getting on a freeway/ highway the Adaptive Cruise Control is a God send.
Sponsored