What do you use your rear power for?

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Just curious what everyone plugs into the rear 110 outlet? I am still searching for my Gladiator and debating on if I can do without the cargo management group. I run a National Luna fridge which is more efficient wired into 12v so I will need to install a hella plug anyway. now That USB chargers are available for electronics the only thing I have ever plugged into an inverter is a magic bullet for margaritas.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Just curious what everyone plugs into the rear 110 outlet? I am still searching for my Gladiator and debating on if I can do without the cargo management group. I run a National Luna fridge which is more efficient wired into 12v so I will need to install a hella plug anyway. now That USB chargers are available for electronics the only thing I have ever plugged into an inverter is a magic bullet for margaritas.
In my Tacoma, it was pretty much limited to power tool battery rechargers and occasionally a Dremel... it only gives you like 3.5A. It doesn't go very far so I didn't even bother on this truck - much better to just run a bigger inverter IMO.

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Haven't tested yet as DawgBox is getting re-geared, but I plan to use it to run my Dometic fridge/freezer while on the road.

Punkngladiator

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma gone soon 2020 gladiator on its way
On my Tacoma I ran my grape solar fridge/freezer. Worked fine so I got it for my gladiator as well. Kept my salmon frozen from Seattle to Alberta

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
On my Tacoma I ran my grape solar fridge/freezer. Worked fine so I got it for my gladiator as well. Kept my salmon frozen from Seattle to Alberta

But how was the fish?? :giggle:

Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
... much better to just run a bigger inverter IMO ...
Is it possible to upgrade the inverter in the truck? Do we know where it is and what is looks like (more interested in the space and what can be added).

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I agree about powering the fridge off of 12 volts--though that requires larger wire than you would guess based on the small amperage draw--I recommend 12 gauge to avoid the issues with voltage drop causing the fridge to go into power saving mode. Anyway, I use my inverter outlet in the bed to power my laptop in camp. Because when traveling our groups shoot a lot of still and video and some audio recordings, it's easier for me to copy all of that over to my laptop, plus two more backup drives, each evening. Typically, that takes several hours.

Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to keep that power outlet on for as long as I want. After a few minutes the Jeep shuts it off and I have to go back and press the power on switch on the dash again. It's very annoying. Not sure if there's a way to tell the Jeep I'll manage the battery--quite being annoying.

Regardless, I have the GenRight dual-battery kit and two Odyssey batteries to install, once I finish a current video project I'm working on for my YouTube channel. After I do that, I plan to install a separate inverter tied to the aux battery, so no worries about killing the start battery. Based on my experience with years of use of my JK in this scenario, 400 watts is sufficient power for my needs. We've even used the JK install to watch a movie while overlanding ("The Gods Must be Crazy", of course).

Test set up of the gear ...
Jeep Gladiator What do you use your rear power for? Movies -- Expedition Style, 1204, Feb 12

Watching the movie ...
Jeep Gladiator What do you use your rear power for? K-Trail Run, Feb 12, 7D-1227, Movie Night

Punkngladiator

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma gone soon 2020 gladiator on its way
The fish was awesome caught it in Alaska

Sponsored

Rafael's Jive

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Scrambler, 09 WRX, 17 Forester, and to many bicycles
I use the bed outlet to keep my mountain biking lights charged. A blender would be a good idea though....

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I agree about powering the fridge off of 12 volts--though that requires larger wire than you would guess based on the small amperage draw--I recommend 12 gauge to avoid the issues with voltage drop causing the fridge to go into power saving mode. Anyway, I use my inverter outlet in the bed to power my laptop in camp. Because when traveling our groups shoot a lot of still and video and some audio recordings, it's easier for me to copy all of that over to my laptop, plus two more backup drives, each evening. Typically, that takes several hours.

Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to keep that power outlet on for as long as I want. After a few minutes the Jeep shuts it off and I have to go back and press the power on switch on the dash again. It's very annoying. Not sure if there's a way to tell the Jeep I'll manage the battery--quite being annoying.

Regardless, I have the GenRight dual-battery kit and two Odyssey batteries to install, once I finish a current video project I'm working on for my YouTube channel. After I do that, I plan to install a separate inverter tied to the aux battery, so no worries about killing the start battery. Based on my experience with years of use of my JK in this scenario, 400 watts is sufficient power for my needs. We've even used the JK install to watch a movie while overlanding ("The Gods Must be Crazy", of course).

Test set up of the gear ...
Jeep Gladiator What do you use your rear power for? 09E979A9-E06D-4C49-81B1-9CAC2B9442FD

Watching the movie ...
Jeep Gladiator What do you use your rear power for? 09E979A9-E06D-4C49-81B1-9CAC2B9442FD
Now that I finally have my Alu-Cab canopy I can start planning out the electrics in the rear. I looked at the Genesis system but I think that I will be installing a Redarc BCDC and second battery in the bed of the truck next to my drawer system and water tank. This puts the second battery close to the fridge. I’ll probably run 8 AWG wire from the alternator to the Redarc.

The gods must be crazy is one of my all time favorite movies!

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man

Last edited:

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude
...my YouTube channel...
Holy cow ... what an awesome channel!! You now have a new subscriber from Australia!!
I watched your intro video and you had me when you said you only review stuff you want to. I really hate when I find a good channel on YT and they go all 'Hollywood' and get stuff average Joe cant afford for free! I like them being 'normal people on normal budgets'!

I think you have just set me up for a cold, CV-19 virus stay-at-home, weekend! :)

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude