Sponsored

What is this piece called? I saw one on a Gladiator and really liked the look.

shawnebell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB, CJ5, CJ7, CJ8, M109, M38, TJ, JK
I feel like they were all the rage in the 80's, then they kind of died out.
In the 70s and 80s they were definitely more "safety adjacent" and more accurately a "roll bar" since they were often attached directly to the frame with the angled kick-out towards the back attached to either the wheel well or the spot in front of the wheel well.

That doesn't mean they'd necessarily protect you during a rollover, but they had a better chance of deflecting the ground from your head than today's sport- or chase- bars that are usually just mounted to the top of the bed or the bed's sheet metal.

A sport/chase bar is usually just there to mount stuff on - lights, antennas, beer can holders, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HermesTheLuckyOne

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I’ve got the Tyger sport bar. I like the look it adds. I’ve also got the Tyger trifold. The downside to the sport bar is you can’t access your entire bed. I’m still looking for a more compatible cover.
I just ordered the Tyger sport bar, how it is removing our hard top with the sport bar on?

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I like the looks and still being able to cover the bed. Is it a roll bar? nope. I don't even call mine a chase rack as it only is used to mount lights, so to me its a light bar
Jeep Gladiator What is this piece called? I saw one on a Gladiator and really liked the look. RR XOR sdie view