What trim level/options?

BLK74

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pilot, Corvette
A Jeep newbie checking in with some questions. I am considering purchasing a Jeep Gladiator this summer. I am interested in some top down cruising, light truck duties, mild off roading, and possibly using it to plow snow. I am currently recovering from some sticker shock pricing one out. I priced out a lightly optioned Rubicon with the features I needed. I’m now leaning more toward a well equipped uplander. Am I sacrificing anything suspension wise that I will regret? If I plow, I will need decent cooling and suspension. I don’t think I can get 4.10 gears in this model. I will also want to go with 33” AT tires. Can I do that by upgrading to Bilstein 5100s? I think the give you an inch or so of lift. I’m trying to stay in the low to mid 40s price wise. I can do some minor upgrades over time but I don’t want to get carried away with things I should have included in the initial purchase.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
A Jeep newbie checking in with some questions. I am considering purchasing a Jeep Gladiator this summer. I am interested in some top down cruising, light truck duties, mild off roading, and possibly using it to plow snow. I am currently recovering from some sticker shock pricing one out. I priced out a lightly optioned Rubicon with the features I needed. I’m now leaning more toward a well equipped uplander. Am I sacrificing anything suspension wise that I will regret? If I plow, I will need decent cooling and suspension. I don’t think I can get 4.10 gears in this model. I will also want to go with 33” AT tires. Can I do that by upgrading to Bilstein 5100s? I think the give you an inch or so of lift. I’m trying to stay in the low to mid 40s price wise. I can do some minor upgrades over time but I don’t want to get carried away with things I should have included in the initial purchase.
JTs don’t have coilover struts like an independent suspension truck does, so Bilstein 5100s won’t do anything, unless you just want new shocks. It sounds like your best bet might be a Sport S Max Tow. That gives you 4.10s and the higher output radiator fan.

HouseOfWolves

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Barebones Rubicon sticker is $43K -- you can do an internet search, but I doubt you will find one.

Unless you need a vehicle this summer -- suggest you defer until the 2022s hit the lot, and then scoop up a previous model year. Dealers are often willing to accept any reasonable offer, and you may find yourself getting a better equipped vehicle. If your need is more immediate, you may find some left over 2020s -- that is what I did.

Jeeps are inherently capable - unfortunately, they defer some of the creature comforts et al. to the higher end models.

Good luck!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As a quick look at your basic needs list with out much info. Really any model would cover what you have asked about. "As long as you get the basic towing package" (I would recommend) Now if hauling and plowing snow capable are higher requirements the following. Is the base starting point IMHO. That is what I chose as my base model fitting my requirements. No more no less.

AKA Sport S Max-Tow. for H.D cooling, charging system, 4:10 gearing, (later Max-Tow package)Trac-Loc rear plus maximum cargo capacity (if plowing snow for adding weight to bed.) Now if the Mojave frame would become the standard across all models.

OP
OP

BLK74

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pilot, Corvette
As a quick look at your basic needs list with out much info. Really any model would cover what you have asked about. "As long as you get the basic towing package" (I would recommend) Now if hauling and plowing snow capable are higher requirements the following. Is the base starting point IMHO. That is what I chose as my base model fitting my requirements. No more no less.

AKA Sport S Max-Tow. for H.D cooling, charging system, 4:10 gearing, (later Max-Tow package)Trac-Loc rear plus maximum cargo capacity (if plowing snow for adding weight to bed.) Now if the Mojave frame would become the standard across all models.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BLK74

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pilot, Corvette
Here is something weird. I am unable to build a Sport S model on the Jeep website. Other trim levels work fine. It just keeps going back to the previous page.

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Here is something weird. I am unable to build a Sport S model on the Jeep website. Other trim levels work fine. It just keeps going back to the previous page.
Yeah...their build site is surprisingly unreliable. Not sure why they run it like they do...

Does this link get you to it?

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Hey @BLK74, I highly recommend you use this when comparing options and models. @eternus' spreadsheet lays out everything much much more clearly than Jeep's website does.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
I just noticed that 4.10 gears aren't standard on the Rubicon any more. When did that happen?
Still standard for the gas models, the diesel comes with 3.73's.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Still standard for the gas models, the diesel comes with 3.73's.
I was either looking at it sideways earlier, or it was a glitch. What I saw (at least in my head) was that 3.73 were standard, and 4.10 was a $600+/- upgrade, kind of like what they did with the JK for the last few years. I was probably mistaken.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
I was either looking at it sideways earlier, or it was a glitch. What I saw (at least in my head) was that 3.73 were standard, and 4.10 was a $600+/- upgrade, kind of like what they did with the JK for the last few years. I was probably mistaken.
Such a shame 4.10's are not available across the trim lines as an option. The change in build cost would be nominal, and I have to believe that many would take advantage of the upgrade.

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
Such a shame 4.10's are not available across the trim lines as an option. The change in build cost would be nominal, and I have to believe that many would take advantage of the upgrade.
THIS x 1 million. Jeep knows good and well people are going to be putting bigger tires on these things. 4.10 gears should be a $100 option, not a $1300 tow package. It’s $90 to get the 3.92s in a Ram 1500
Sponsored