First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Eco Diesel
Occupation
Sales
You are 100% correct a low distribution hitch is really the correct solution. However since I am frequently going off-road with this unit I’m trying to avoid the constant disconnection of the spring bars and dealing with that. I understand I’m not increasing load to the front axle but the rear axle is not at its max my sole purpose for the airbags is to reduce the spongy feeling and stiff in the rear springs. Based on my last time at the cat scales my tongue load was roughly 860 pounds raising the back and I’m hoping to transfer some of that off the back axle and back to the trailer axles I know it won’t be much but every little bit helps and hopefully take some of the spring or sponge and us out of the backend.

it’s fine no means the perfect solution or perfect set up for everyone but based on how I spend my weekends and where I plan to travel it works for me.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You are 100% correct a low distribution hitch is really the correct solution. However since I am frequently going off-road with this unit I’m trying to avoid the constant disconnection of the spring bars and dealing with that. I understand I’m not increasing load to the front axle but the rear axle is not at its max my sole purpose for the airbags is to reduce the spongy feeling and stiff in the rear springs. Based on my last time at the cat scales my tongue load was roughly 860 pounds raising the back and I’m hoping to transfer some of that off the back axle and back to the trailer axles I know it won’t be much but every little bit helps and hopefully take some of the spring or sponge and us out of the backend.

it’s fine no means the perfect solution or perfect set up for everyone but based on how I spend my weekends and where I plan to travel it works for me.
With a tongue weight of 860 pounds, your camper then would figure 8600 pounds if you use the 10% of the total weight of camper and contents (water, baggage, food)
Some say as high as 15%, but that's typically for trailers outside of this weight range. (lighter trailer as I recall)
You could drop about 200 pounds off the tongue - shift the camper contents rearward and keep 'em low. That also helps with bouncy - the higher the weight is, the more it wants to shove down on the rear of the truck when you hit bumps.
Somewhere on the forum, and I'm sure in the manuals, they list about 750 pounds as max tongue weight for these setups.

JD721

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Eco Diesel
Occupation
Sales
Yep. Less spring sag should move a bit to the back. 750 is max. As I said ongoing tweaks should hopefully get things in line with Jeep specs.
Sponsored