Sponsored

What's my Max Towing Capacity?

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Damn, I got all but crucified by some on here if asking if a trailer with 4980 dry weight was too much to handle.

OP, you'll be pushing the envelope weight wise. Being in Florida where it's flat would ease my mind about towing on the limit, but you'll still be on the edge safety wise.

OP
OP
Bug out

Bug out

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Damn, I got all but crucified by some on here if asking if a trailer with 4980 dry weight was too much to handle.

OP, you'll be pushing the envelope weight wise. Being in Florida where it's flat would ease my mind about towing on the limit, but you'll still be on the edge safety wise.
Kind of felt like that for me too but HEY
I would rather get help from like minded guys rather than from the old bill.
Anyway
We decided to go for an
Airstream
Base camp or carvel I think they call them they are light, look kind of cool and really hold their value.
Going to take the camper off the back and put a frame and canvas on there instead .

But anyhow
Thanks to “All” for all the great help and tips and advice and warnings
Thank you

great forum for gladiator owners

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I really like those basecamps! If it were just my wife and I, I'd probably go for one. That front window would concern me though about catching a rock.
I was looking at the Opus OP15, which is 4900 dry, but I have a lot done to my JTR and I'm 1k lbs heavier than what a stock one is.
FWIW, my friend has a Black Series HQ15, and he said his gladiator pulls it just fine with the weight distribution hitch. And I know his gladiator weighs more than mine. My JTR is just over 6k lbs with a full tank and me.

OP
OP
Bug out

Bug out

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
I really like those basecamps! If it were just my wife and I, I'd probably go for one. That front window would concern me though about catching a rock.
I was looking at the Opus OP15, which is 4900 dry, but I have a lot done to my JTR and I'm 1k lbs heavier than what a stock one is.
FWIW, my friend has a Black Series HQ15, and he said his gladiator pulls it just fine with the weight distribution hitch. And I know his gladiator weighs more than mine. My JTR is just over 6k lbs with a full tank and me.
I have been in the base camp
Really cool
My jeep is very heavy I have to shed pounds
I am rebuilding the camper on the back to just a frame and heavy duty tarp from a hummer
All the metal you see on the front and screen is all self built
I am just molding it now and making out of fiberglass
Much lighter. No good if I hit something but I can just remold it
Then all the stuff you see on there will go up for sale a great price
Have fun

Sponsored

AwesomeDad

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon Diesel, VW Passat gas
Occupation
Yes
Im going to pick up our base camp 20X next week, My rubicon came in last week with a dismal 924 pound payload on the sticker ugh... The trailer is 3400 dry and max 4300 which should put me at about 500LBS tongue weight

OP
OP
Bug out

Bug out

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Im going to pick up our base camp 20X next week, My rubicon came in last week with a dismal 924 pound payload on the sticker ugh... The trailer is 3400 dry and max 4300 which should put me at about 500LBS tongue weight
when you pick it up be sure to give me your complete run down and some pictures.
Where are you located?

AwesomeDad

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon Diesel, VW Passat gas
Occupation
Yes
when you pick it up be sure to give me your complete run down and some pictures.
Where are you located?
Its loaded with Solar. AC I guess most don't order them without all the options. Im in Tn

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Okay, the generic chart from the manual that everyone likes to use, THROW IT AWAY.

If you read the entire section the chart is with AND the disclaimer(s) included in the chart, it ain't gonna happen.

You have to weigh EVERYTHING, whether it goes in the truck or the trailer, and start doing math. I am willing to bet the 150 pound driver cancels out all but 1% of this Board. By the time you get yourself, wife, kids, dogs, dog's pet cat, in the cab you've wiped out close to 500 pounds. You start filling the bed and you're already overloaded. You put the anti-sway hitch and weight distribution hitch and then 10% of the trailer weight, whether full or empty, you're way over.

They make it difficult so they can all but lose liability for you overloading the truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, the generic chart from the manual that everyone likes to use, THROW IT AWAY.

If you read the entire section the chart is with AND the disclaimer(s) included in the chart, it ain't gonna happen.
That pretty much sums it up right there.

By the time you get yourself, wife, kids, dogs, dog's pet cat, in the cab
ROFL

Sponsored

JD721

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Eco Diesel
Occupation
Sales
Just picked up a Black Series HQ15, towing with my 21 Gladiator Rubicon with the ecodiesel. yes it's pushing the 6k max rating, however it's a weekend get away, not living it it. We toss in a few days clothes, food, drinks. I have a tool kit etc in the truck bed. Cat scales it with full water/drinking water/empty grey/black tanks at 5618 lbs. I inverted a 2" drop hitch for a 1" rise, trailer is nearly level, however i am getting the Airlift 1000 installed this week to help stiffen up the springs. So far I've towed it about 800 miles over two weekends, up into and thru Yellowstone, up and down 8500 ft mountain passes at 8 and 9% grades. The only issue I have, it's a bit spongy in the rear, but never feels out of control or even close. Air bags should correct most of the issue or I have found a load distribution hitch setup i can run on the highway and remove the spring bars when going off road.

Overall super happy with the power and handling. No regrets.

I will note the rear axle is currently only 250 under it's max. Front is a bit light as the squat in the springs. Again air lift should help even this out, if not load distribution hitch will defiantly do the trick.

Overall GVW about 500 under with myself and the wife in the Jeep.

In this pick, it had a 1.75" squat from unloaded measured center of rear fender after loading trailer on it.

Jeep Gladiator What's my Max Towing Capacity? HQ15

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bug out

Bug out

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Just picked up a Black Series HQ15, towing with my 21 Gladiator Rubicon with the ecodiesel. yes it's pushing the 6k max rating, however it's a weekend get away, not living it it. We toss in a few days clothes, food, drinks. I have a tool kit etc in the truck bed. Cat scales it with full water/drinking water/empty grey/black tanks at 5618 lbs. I inverted a 2" drop hitch for a 1" rise, trailer is nearly level, however i am getting the Airlift 1000 installed this week to help stiffen up the springs. So far I've towed it about 800 miles over two weekends, up into and thru Yellowstone, up and down 8500 ft mountain passes at 8 and 9% grades. The only issue I have, it's a bit spongy in the rear, but never feels out of control or even close. Air bags should correct most of the issue or I have found a load distribution hitch setup i can run on the highway and remove the spring bars when going off road.

Overall super happy with the power and handling. No regrets.

I will note the rear axle is currently only 250 under it's max. Front is a bit light as the squat in the springs. Again air lift should help even this out, if not load distribution hitch will defiantly do the trick.

Overall GVW about 500 under with myself and the wife in the Jeep.
put up photos

JD721

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Eco Diesel
Occupation
Sales
Just did! One additional photo taken in Lamar Valley, Yellowstone Nat Park yesterday.

Also to comment on a few of the thoughts, I don't disagree that it's best to roll with something lighter behind you, vs maxing out tow ratings. However as I have about 30k miles towing some heavy equipment in my past, 3500 series ram pushing 25k as well as most recently driving a 40' motorhome hauling 8500 of it's 10k rating. If you take the time to read the weight limits, spread the load, make adjustments and 99% of the time I'm towing at 65 mph. I feel i am more than safe for myself and everyone on the road. I did a lot of research, took what Black series stated, assumed it was wrong (4700 dry) it was, as my trailer has 4 AGM batteries vs 2, no hot water tank, a instant on system, 4 solar panels vs 2 etc... do your research and know your use case.

It is possible, the Gladiator borrows parts from the Ram 1500 for the rear suspension, the eco diesel in a Ram 1500 tows 9k+ your weak point is the suspension not the engine.

Jeep Gladiator What's my Max Towing Capacity? HQ15 Lamar Valley

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Airbags won't help the light front end. The weight on the back, behind the rear axle, is working to lift the front up. The rear axle is the fulcrum. All you'd do is lift the rear of the truck, it won't transfer any weight back to the front.
Personally, I'd do the WDH first, then if it still squats in the back, THEN do air bags.
The hitch will resolve the front end being light, and help keep the back from feeling squishy because it keeps things from pivoting up and down on the ball.
Personally - weight distributing hitch before I did anything, set it up correctly for the weight of the camper and tongue weight, air bags if needed after that.

Did I miss it - did you mention what tongue weight is?
Sponsored