Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
^^^ THIS.

There are parking strategies that become habit if you HATE door dings like I do. Out in the distance - though some people seem to think the cars parked out there are magnets and park RIGHT next to them despite there being dozens or even hundreds of available spots.

End spots adjacent to planters where you can park literally right against the curb giving the other side of your car maximum distance from the next spot. Spots adjacent to little used Disabled parking spots or electric vehicle charging spots. A bit of a risk IF a true disabled vehicle with a lift or a person in wheelchair uses it.

Mostly I rely on my side steps but as noted above it's far from a fool proof strategy and I'll be b!tching like hell here when I get a serious ding.

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Even when you think you're safe you're really not, my brother, who I LOVE DEARLY* went and gave me my first bad ding just below the filler neck. I get to stare at it every time I fill up now.

Jeep Gladiator When you think Side Steps Keep You Ding Free IMG_5172[1].JPG

Worst part was I was in the truck when it happened, I was on speaker phone (so I knew my brother could hear me) talking to my Dad and told him I'll park next to him so we DON'T get any dings.

First thing my brother does after I hang up, he just throws the damn door wide open, and hit the panel so hard it shook the whole damn truck. Just barely missed the rock rail and the fender, either one would have been fine. NOPE! He finds a spot that's going to be nearly impossible to fix.

I was about ready to kill him on the spot.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I haven’t seen any yet… but inevitably it’ll happen and the first one is always the worst.

Its amazing the places I’ve been and the things I’ve put all my rigs through yet, most damage has occurred in parking lots.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I loved my old 76 Chevy with the 6" lift and 38" tires. It was 6 shades of primer paint and dents. No one wanted to park by it.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Ok, so in mu college days I used to go to this breakfast spot that shared a parking lot with a grocery store. I come out from breakfast to find a grocery cart up against my car and there was damage...naturally. It was a very windy day and my car was at the downwind end of the lot. So I go in to the grocery store to file a claim. I get out to my car and am reviewing the paperwork when a lady pulls up next to me and opens her door.....well the very high winds grabbed the door from her hands and threw it open , right into the side of my car while I was sitting there! Ugh, I was so pissed. Two big dings in the span of 30 minutes.

Not that my college era cars were that nice but I did try to take care of them.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
I was eating in my LJ in a Taco Bueno parking lot. An asshat in a Honda with a fart can muffler parked on my passenger side. He slammed his door into my Jeep VERY hard. I couldn't help but start laughing. The look on his face was priceless when he saw the crease in his door where he hit my Shrockworks rockers.

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
Even when you think you're safe you're really not, my brother, who I LOVE DEARLY* went and gave me my first bad ding just below the filler neck. I get to stare at it every time I fill up now.

Jeep Gladiator When you think Side Steps Keep You Ding Free IMG_5172[1].JPG

Worst part was I was in the truck when it happened, I was on speaker phone (so I knew my brother could hear me) talking to my Dad and told him I'll park next to him so we DON'T get any dings.

First thing my brother does after I hang up, he just throws the damn door wide open, and hit the panel so hard it shook the whole damn truck. Just barely missed the rock rail and the fender, either one would have been fine. NOPE! He finds a spot that's going to be nearly impossible to fix.

I was about ready to kill him on the spot.
Not to one up you, but I'm going to one up you. ;)

I was pulling into the garage when my GFs daughter opens the back door on her car parked next to me. Hit almost the exact same spot. Caught the flare just fine, but not quite strong enough deflect an open door. Almost $2000... Crunched it good right under the fuel fill.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
The only reason that I liked my 2500, was that I hated it. It was a 2003 Duramax POS, it didn't do anything good and I hated it. So I didn't care what happened to it, drove through fences in emergencies etc.. I sold it when I got the JT with only one small ding in the rear bumper.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
Ok, so in mu college days I used to go to this breakfast spot that shared a parking lot with a grocery store. I come out from breakfast to find a grocery cart up against my car and there was damage...naturally. It was a very windy day and my car was at the downwind end of the lot. So I go in to the grocery store to file a claim. I get out to my car and am reviewing the paperwork when a lady pulls up next to me and opens her door.....well the very high winds grabbed the door from her hands and threw it open , right into the side of my car while I was sitting there! Ugh, I was so pissed. Two big dings in the span of 30 minutes.

Not that my college era cars were that nice but I did try to take care of them.
There's this channel on yt called Cart Narcs, really funny. The guy is a beast against people that leave their carts out for those reasons. He asks them to return their carts, if they don't he puts these "lazy bones" magnets on their cars. lol Hilarious. The women are the worst, screaming like lunatics at him.

OP
OP

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
Not to one up you, but I'm going to one up you. ;)

I was pulling into the garage when my GFs daughter opens the back door on her car parked next to me. Hit almost the exact same spot. Caught the flare just fine, but not quite strong enough deflect an open door. Almost $2000... Crunched it good right under the fuel fill.
How could a ding cost 2k? Did the door rip the flare off? Crazy story.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That’s why I take the last end spot in the lot. The lazy asshats don’t like walking that far.
Not around here - that doesn't work. I park clear out at the far end of the lot. 20 spaces on each side of me, and when I come back out, there's a car or truck on each side of me and I ain't kidding. Ask my wife. She even predicts which side they'll on if there's only one next to my truck when we come back out. I've taken pictures before showing that you have to walk a heck of a ways to get to the store - no one around, but there's my vehicle with someone parked next to it.
It's a magnet of some sort or something. Morons. Go find your own deserted island. I parked to GET AWAY from you, not be next to you.

What's even worse is when the ding is your own bloody fault. I'd rather blame someone else, but can't, not this time.
Sponsored