Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I read the thread. There are MULTIPLE avenues for fire. I used to be a first responder, and pulled far too many folks out of burnt up wrecks.

None had winches, and they still torched. EV's are far more dangerous to first responders and no one pays them any mind at all.

I weighed the risks, and they are small.
So as a first responder, was your second job being an electrician? Leaving a 2awg positive wire at the front bumper, with constant power, is not small risk. A minor accident, on or off road, where that positive cable gets pinched and touches the frame, is a fire.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So as a first responder, was your second job being an electrician? Leaving a 2awg positive wire at the front bumper, with constant power, is not small risk. A minor accident, on or off road, where that positive cable gets pinched and touches the frame, is a fire.
Getting hit in the front is always a really small risk, and yet - look at the threads in this forum, which is a fraction of the total Gladiator owners, showing how their vehicles were crushed by some stupid or drunk driver - blowing a sign or light, turning in front of them, whatever.
I still recall the teacher dropping a heavy wire across battery terminals and it turning orange and melting, and a pair of plies got too hot to touch after just a couple of seconds. (fire extinguishers were correct and current)
I can only control me - not what others do, while I'm on the road.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Getting hit in the front is always a really small risk, and yet - look at the threads in this forum, which is a fraction of the total Gladiator owners, showing how their vehicles were crushed by some stupid or drunk driver - blowing a sign or light, turning in front of them, whatever.
I still recall the teacher dropping a heavy wire across battery terminals and it turning orange and melting, and a pair of plies got too hot to touch after just a couple of seconds. (fire extinguishers were correct and current)
The other major risk is a broadside hit near the passenger tire. That’s often where the winch cables route from bumper to behind the inner fender, up to the battery. A bad hit there with an energized + cable will push it right into the frame.

WestwallNF104A

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Antique dealer

Totally true, but, like I said, I have rolled on far too many car fires, not one of which had a winch.

My one concern is someone broadsiding me. I can't mitigate that. The rest I can.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Totally true, but, like I said, I have rolled on far too many car fires, not one of which had a winch.

My one concern is someone broadsiding me. I can't mitigate that. The rest I can.
Where geographically are those fires?

Sponsored

GWolgamott

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Person sitting in the office under the stairs, behind the bathrooms... dispensing unreliable advice based on questionable numbers
I guess my small hijack of the thread, started that debate again. Should have posed that question to a different thread anyways... :facepalm: my bad.

Although I wasn't talking about the winch, this time. I had already decided the route that will wire that in: Winch -> to power interupter kit -> Voswitch module -> switch on voswitch bank.

It will allow me to turn power off and on plus can setup to only have ability to turn it on if wire to acc fuse. (Switches will already be there and have an extra one or two available.)

I just wired my Warn right to the battery, and it doesn't turn on till I plug in the controller.

I didn't think I needed to add a switch in between. Just something else to break!
As to why that route? Personally just cleaner with other things that will be wired in as well. Its the long wire past the metal bits that are directly connected to the battery that is of concern personally to me, not whether the winch itself turns off or stays off until you activate it. Accidents aside and the risk that may exist.... I've had critters chew a battery cable on a daily driver before, that made the car stink for months.

So just as an extra safety precaution, nothing wrong with that is there.

Needed? Eh maybe that's debatable but it is cheap (Like $90 for power interrupter kit on amazon currently.) and will most likely be relatively easy to do.

Extra thing to break? Yeah, but I can still in the field easily just wire it to the battery if need be in a pinch. Not that it's rocket science to do so if it was designed to do that in the first place.

WestwallNF104A

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Antique dealer
I guess my small hijack of the thread, started that debate again. Should have posed that question to a different thread anyways... :facepalm: my bad.

Although I wasn't talking about the winch, this time. I had already decided the route that will wire that in: Winch -> to power interupter kit -> Voswitch module -> switch on voswitch bank.

It will allow me to turn power off and on plus can setup to only have ability to turn it on if wire to acc fuse. (Switches will already be there and have an extra one or two available.)

As to why that route? Personally just cleaner with other things that will be wired in as well. Its the long wire past the metal bits that are directly connected to the battery that is of concern personally to me, not whether the winch itself turns off or stays off until you activate it. Accidents aside and the risk that may exist.... I've had critters chew a battery cable on a daily driver before, that made the car stink for months.

So just as an extra safety precaution, nothing wrong with that is there.

Needed? Eh maybe that's debatable but it is cheap (Like $90 for power interrupter kit on amazon currently.) and will most likely be relatively easy to do.

Extra thing to break? Yeah, but I can still in the field easily just wire it to the battery if need be in a pinch. Not that it's rocket science to do so if it was designed to do that in the first place.

There is nothing wrong with your approach, and desire for extra precaution. Absolutely nothing.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
If one wanted to go simple and not need switches, but still wanted a little built in safety, one could use...
Jeep Gladiator where are you powering the winch? Screenshot_20240216_135927_Amazon Shoppin

Or...
Jeep Gladiator where are you powering the winch? Screenshot_20240216_135904_Amazon Shoppin

Properly sized and installed of course. Either should blow/pop before a fire has a chance to start in case of an emergency.
The second could theoretically be used as a manual switch I guess.

My current setup will have a remotely switched solenoid once I'm done with the install. Still waiting on the dealership to chase down a current electrical gremlin, waiting on a sensor to come in. Then I'll officially finish the install. If needed it would only take seconds to hook the hot wire to the positive post on the battery.

That being said I've had winches for decades and this will be the first one not hard wired directly to the battery.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Nice thing is I used the hot side of my winch solenoid/cut-off as a junction block to connect my plow hot lead to............
Tidied things up - one hot wire going to the battery positive and it feeds two devices (one at a time, obviously)
Sponsored