Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
You’re not going to do the Rubicon without damage. That said, if you stop in Ouray, Colorado and Moab, Ut you can knockout a ton of badges and not get damage. See list below for reference.
C05D77CE-FDC1-4E2B-8AAE-3B072709905B.jpeg
"we don't need no stinkin badges"

I want to do the Ouray next spring.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
How is South Drummond this time of year? I saw that the north just had a dusting of snow? I am in PA now, and staying to head west. Will be in OH tomorrow to drop my dad off before I head back to CA

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Schnebly Hill road in Sedona is super easy; I've done it twice in the past year (did it just this past Thursday). SUPER rocky/bumpy on the bottom half - not the 'funnest' thing you can do in a Jeep, but the scenery of Sedona from the trail is amazing - hence, it's worth doing.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ophir and Imogene were easy. If you like shelf roads. Do Ophir from the Ouray side and run it to Telluride. There is one stretch of shelf road that is about 3/4 mile. From the top there is a spot you can look down the whole stretch. There is ZERO room for two vehicles to pass each other on this part. If you see a vehicle, wait.... If it's clear go for it.

Then you go into Telluride and take Imogene back. The views are spectacular. We did not get to do Black Bear or Engineer on the last trip due to some weather concerns.

65367932905__B1487DAE-7483-484A-8530-DBBBE92C441D.jpg

tempImageiipkk7.png

tempImageLUKngJ.png
Full Alpine Loop next season?

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
And BLACK BEAR. We have enough people it would be a blast.
Sounds good. I’m not a massive fan of shelf roads, but the rest of black bear looks like it’s worth it. What’s included in the list. Imogene, engineer? Can the whole loop be done in one day, or camp one night?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I ran Ophir to Telluride and Imogene back. I did them after a long day of driving.
Black Bear I would do fresh.

Engineer loops to Cinnamon Pass which comprises the Alpine Loop.
Poughkeepsie Gulch is off Engineer and considered pretty technical.
The Alpine loop is about 7 hours.

I would shoot for two days mid week to do them. Weekends that place becomes a zoo.
Veteran trail rats in serious rigs all the way to tourists in stock rental Jeeps.
I did Ophir and Imogene on a Monday and had to essentially throw out hoping for trail etiquette.
I had my 15 year old spotting for vehicles and pull off spots and would essentially just find safe spots to pull over on ascent and let people pass.

Tuesday I opted for Yankee Boy Basin. Weather was due and I did not want to be on Black Bear or Engineer in a storm. The top of Yankee is great fun. Rocky switch backs.

Ouray is off road heaven. Lots of cool rigs. 20 plus vintage Toyotas was my favorite. Solid breakfast options and walk to breweries. I have a kid who loves ghost towns. The amount of mining stuff is amazing.

Sounds good. I’m not a massive fan of shelf roads, but the rest of black bear looks like it’s worth it. What’s included in the list. Imogene, engineer? Can the whole loop be done in one day, or camp one night?

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Fun to read these posts. I took my 2020 JTR on the road last summer. Fin 'N Things (rated 5 by the Red rock 4wd club - 35" tires and a 2" lift suggested) was as hard as anything I wanted to try in my stock truck. I did fine on the normal line. l I got hung up (high center) on one of the "hard line" options. One of the exciting parts on Fins N' Things was reaching 30° on a downslope. It felt like I was standing on my head.

Red Rock 4-Wheelers, Inc. - (rr4w.com)

I made lots of movies. I use an Olympus TG-3 (tough camer) mounted inside the cab with Ram Mounts and a Bulletproof Platform Dash Mount. I use a dash mount to carry my GPS, my camera, and my walkie-talkie.

https://www.bulletpointmountingsolutions.com/collections/jeep-gladiator-phone-mounts

While in Moab, I went out on the White Rim Trail too. I went down the Green River side and all the way to the top of Hard Scrabble Hill. The trail is narrow in some spots, and Hard Scrabble Hill is a blast. If I had had more time, I would have ocntinued on to Murphy's Hogback before turning around.

Fin'N Things
Jeep Gladiator Which Badge of Honor trails can I do on a stock JTRD i-HBkcbVK-X3

White rim Trail
Jeep Gladiator Which Badge of Honor trails can I do on a stock JTRD i-XsMQwnK-X3

I have a lot of movies on youtube. The 2021 ones are mostly with the Gladiator. The older ones are with my 04 Wrangler Rubicon.

andy29847 - YouTube

Most of the Colorado stuff will be kinda easy in the Gladiator. Poughkeepsie, especially the wall, is the most difficult of the popular trails. Engineer, Cinnamon, Ophir, Stony are all just fun rides (no worry about "making it"). Black Bear is an immerediate trail with expert consquences. The hard parts are downhill, so getting stuck is not an issue. The ride is intense, with the feeling that you can't make a mistake. I've done most of the Colorado trails several times. Everyone of them is easier the 2nd time except Black Bear. I was just as tense on black Bear the 2nd time as I was the first time. Yes, I admit it. I squeal when I get scared. :)

Odom Point - Engineer pass
Jeep Gladiator Which Badge of Honor trails can I do on a stock JTRD i-2k9XnkT-X3

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
We did Poison Spider in a stock JTR. We scraped a lot, especially in the rear, but a couple of high centers. Nothing I would consider to be damage, but jeeps are supposed to have scratches. No body panel damage, but hitch receiver, and every factory skid is missing lots of paint. I’d do it again, and still consider it to have been successful. Needed good spotting, but did not need the winch. Did most of it at around 17-20psi on stock fallen 33’s. I do now have a hitch skid. :)

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Ouray won't open til Summer. Usually End of June beginning of July. Most of those passes are shut down from October to June.
High country out here gets socked in with snow pretty bad.
I tried to do Tin Cup on Father's Day once an was turned back. They had not even begun to open it up.

"we don't need no stinkin badges"

I want to do the Ouray next spring.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ouray won't open til Summer. Usually End of June beginning of July. Most of those passes are shut down from October to June.
High country out here gets socked in with snow pretty bad.
I tried to do Tin Cup on Father's Day once an was turned back. They had not even begun to open it up.
Other than Utah, what are some other good winter options?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
We still have all our low altitude stuff. You did Mini Moab. We can go hit China Wall.
Schubarth is easy easy. I was even thinking of trying a winter run on that. We get a group and it could be fun.

Other than Utah, what are some other good winter options?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
We still have all our low altitude stuff. You did Mini Moab. We can go hit China Wall.
Schubarth is easy easy. I was even thinking of trying a winter run on that. We get a group and it could be fun.
I’m open for either or both. China wall looks fun.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
It's a great time. Will help you find the limits of your JT. The sections in and out are nice and technical.

I’m open for either or both. China wall looks fun.

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
"Other than Utah, what are some other good winter options?"

I like the Big Bend area of Texas.
Sponsored