WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I don't own a Gladiator but do own a JL that I ordered. Delivery time was four weeks and during that time I read a PDF version of the manual front to back and some sections multiple times.

Later,
Johnny

msfitone

First Name
Tonya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE edition
Occupation
Adventure Seeker
I read them:headbang::movember:

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
So who does, and who does not read their owner's manual and why?
[/QUOTE]

RTFM.
My Sport S came with a full printed manual. Scanned it first, then went back and read to answer questions I had. Then after more driving, I highlighted options I have to help clarify what to read and what not to. Have referred to it a couple of times since first week. Hard copy stays in the Gladiator; pdf version on iPad and desktop.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I always read maintenance schedules, fluids, and operation controls. That's about it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My wife reads novels - I read technical manuals. I have books of wiring diagrams, engine specs, etc. sitting by my chair in the house most of the time.
The JT manual is in my truck, there's a copy on my Chromebook, on my server and on my laptop.

In the area where my desk and server reside, I have 2 book cases loaded with the TSM for many years of AMC cars, Jeeps of the 90s, binders of TSBs and "D&R" bulletins for older Jeeps.
I have a number of JT TSBs on my laptop.
I use ColorNotes to keep notes on my vehicles - because any notes I take are quickly replicated to every device I have.
I write "how to" articles for modifying the power windows in classic cars, rigging up the wiring for power locks to interface with remote lock systems - I've written articles on how to rewire Eagle power windows and locks that a number of people have used in restorations and modernizing and I often refer to wiring diagrams and schematics and charts as aids (and to double-check myself.

This is the sort of stuff I read - not shown are all of the owner manuals I've collected over the years, as well as the latest JT manual in PDF format (easily searched) but I prefer PAPER books - it's part of my severe ADHD - we much prefer paper over PDF stuff. So I print anything I find of interest from a PDF and keep it in a binder.

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW books-jee

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20191121_154042

HopSlammer

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
I actually enjoy reading owners' manuals. Some recent thread posts have me wondering if they stopped providing owners manuals or some people just don't bother reading them.

So who does, and who does not read their owner's manual and why?
I’m trying Ringo, I’m trying real hard

OP
OP
ZTMAN

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Glad to see I am not the only one that enjoys reading manuals. My neighbors know I like to read the., One has a JL, three have tractors like mine. They usually text me with questions on features etc..
When it gets out of hand, I tell them I don't mind pointing them to the outhouse but I not coming in and shaking it for them, read the manual.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I read it online when waiting for my JL, which was ordered on the 2nd day order books were open which was around October 30 or 31 of 2017. The manual was published online not long after that, so I read everything other than the silly driving instructions.

I do usually read the parts about features, systems (stereo, climate, etc) and maintenance/fluids/capacities.

If you were going to buy a used vehicle, you'd most certainly want to buy it from someone like us who read that stuff. You won't find me putting the wrong gear lube in an axle or the wrong power steering fluid or transmission fluid in it, or the wrong amount. I know what it needs and when and usually take care of it before even the severe service recommendations.

I don't read instructions for TVs and household crap, but vehicles and complicated things are a different matter.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Ally other vehicles, I've only referred when needed, like recommended maintenance schedule, changing a headlight bulb, or if it were a stick, figuring out the recommended shift points.

With this, I was so excited to get the truck, I pretty much read it cover to cover the first night, and there is a lot of good information in there. It's my first 4x4, so needed to know how to operate that, but also found out they recommend always using the parking break for this. Maybe that's always the recommendation, I don't know, this is the first automatic I've had in about 10 years so of course I always used it on the manuals. Oh and whenever someone asks about towing capacity on here between configurations I take a picture of a chart from the owner's manual and share it.

Sponsored

Jackdforme

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT High Altitude
Its all part of the new car experience to me. I read cover to cover in the first week. Usually I find something new or unknown.

Since modern days I get the pdf version and keep the oem manual with the window sticker wrapped up and in the glove.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I read them when they told me how to adjust the valves. Now they tell me not to drink the contents of the battery.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've read a lot of the JT manual, but not all of it. Some is basic stuff I know because of experience, and other parts don't apply (I don't have a Rubicon so I don't have some of the switches and screens and such)
I doubt the JT manual will ever be a collectible LOL - and I bet in 40 years you'll be able to find thousands of them in mint, unopened condition! HAHA

Below are maybe almost 1/5 of my owner manuals........ and I have read through most of them over the years.

1960 Rambler American, shows how to service and adjust brakes, do a complete tune-up, adjust valves, torque the head and more -
Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_095406

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_095239

This from my mother's postal Jeep when she owned it as a daily driver. She found it fun. It was painted yellow when she bought it in the early 70s.

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_095117

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_094630

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_094648

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_094824

I have new, never opened manuals, the 1982 manual still has wrapped warranty information booklet and other unopened pieces, in the original sleeve.

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_094743

I believe I have a manual (usually an original from 1900-1930) for every engine I've owned or still own. And yes, I've read most of them simply because I'm amazed at the engineering and complexity of some of these things - and the fact the ordinary person could do a complete rebuild based on these books. If you owned one, you HAD to know about it as likely few others would.

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_095039

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_094929

Jeep Gladiator WHO READS OWNERS MANUALS? i GOTS TO KNOW 20201231_094949

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I've read a lot of the JT manual, but not all of it. Some is basic stuff I know because of experience, and other parts don't apply (I don't have a Rubicon so I don't have some of the switches and screens and such)
I doubt the JT manual will ever be a collectible LOL - and I bet in 40 years you'll be able to find thousands of them in mint, unopened condition! HAHA

Below are maybe almost 1/5 of my owner manuals........ and I have read through most of them over the years.

1960 Rambler American, shows how to service and adjust brakes, do a complete tune-up, adjust valves, torque the head and more -

This from my mother's postal Jeep when she owned it as a daily driver. She found it fun. It was painted yellow when she bought it in the early 70s.

I have new, never opened manuals, the 1982 manual still has wrapped warranty information booklet and other unopened pieces, in the original sleeve.

I believe I have a manual (usually an original from 1900-1930) for every engine I've owned or still own. And yes, I've read most of them simply because I'm amazed at the engineering and complexity of some of these things - and the fact the ordinary person could do a complete rebuild based on these books. If you owned one, you HAD to know about it as likely few others would.

Wow, those are treasures! Fascinating stuff!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, those are treasures! Fascinating stuff!
Thanks, yeah - I love old books, especially technical stuff. My wife is always "why do you keep all of those old books". Well....... hard to describe.
I have about a dozen others for the 100+ year old engines (gave a friend one of my engines - and an original owner manual for it and he was totally shocked to even see such a book)
I bought a 1918 catalog of Alamo Blue Line engines because I have an Alamo Blue Line 2hp engine - my first hit and miss antique. $400 for the catalog.
I have other AMC owner manuals, I think I have the info for the 52 Ford Dad had for a few years, their 68 Valiant owner manual, and a few others.
I enjoy looking through them from time to time.

So yes - I read owner manuals LOL
Sponsored