Sponsored

Who would be interested in a two door Gladiator?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Cool as an off-road rig or an extra toy but not very practical for every day use unless you are delivering pizzas or parts. (I dd a Scrambler for several years so I do have some 1st-hand experience)
PS: Anybody over 5'10" would be cramped in it & you can't move the seat back. The extended-cab version would be much mo bettah. IMHO.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Essential Retiree
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland Gladiator
Occupation
See my user name!! LOL!
I myself would opt for the extended cab also.

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd.
When I heard Jeep was coming out with a Wrangler pickup, I held off on trading my FJ for a couple years, hoping they would come out with a 2 door, extended cab, like the green concept pickup I had seen some time ago. I was watching some of the online articles and all the "this is what we think it might look like" photos, showing lots of 2 door ideas. I was really disappointed when it came out that they only made a 4 door. I eventually went with the Gladiator but would have went for the 2 door extended cab in a heartbeat.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Hello folks, I'm new to the Gladiator forum. Basically introducing myself. I'm a long time Jeep owner and have owned many Jeeps in the last forty years.

A question I have is (And if it's already been covered, my apologies) how may folks would have been interested in the two door Gladiator that was a concept a few years ago. Myself, I would've been very interested after having owned a Scrambler (CJ-8) for 25 years. I think the two door is a very sharp ride.

Thoughts?
j628japntb6gtle5ldc20li11oscg-1280x720.jpg
Extended cab w/6 foot bed, please.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
I agree the two door version would be great looking. I like my Gladiator a lot, but the proportions take some getting used to. The two door doesn't have that problem. At the same time, I doubt there is a business case for such a vehicle. FCA has positioned this as a premium vehicle in it's class, and a two door doesn't fit that image. Most of us expect our vehicles to do all things, and a two passenger vehicle would have limited audience.

Sponsored

BamDaLam

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Musician
Yes, would be interested in a 2-door Gladiator

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The number of people saying they “would” buy a 2-door Gladiator, or anything with 2-doors for that matter, tends to get overstated on online forums.

In the real world, the ratio of 2-door / 4-door variants, keeping everything else constant, is roughly 1 / 9.

Wrangler is the closest approximation we have, and sales of 2-door are gradually decreasing to 12% of total JL sales.

If we assume Gladiator normal sales level is 80,000 units per year, that means the market for 2-door Gladiator is barely 8,000 units. Worse, the bulk of these sales would come mostly from existing customers, which means a 2-door Gladiator would cannibalize into 4-door sales.

I doubt FCA/Stellantis is going to bother with any of that. They have much bigger fish to fry.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The two door model looks good, but I am not likely to buy one. After almost two decades with four door pickups, anything smaller just won't work for me. Big cars no longer exist, and four door trucks and SUV'S are what people want. Jeep is going to cater to the largest segments of buyers, and two door pickups are just no longer in enough demand to produce them.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I agree the two door version would be great looking. I like my Gladiator a lot, but the proportions take some getting used to. The two door doesn't have that problem. At the same time, I doubt there is a business case for such a vehicle. FCA has positioned this as a premium vehicle in it's class, and a two door doesn't fit that image. Most of us expect our vehicles to do all things, and a two passenger vehicle would have limited audience.
So true about the business case.

Just how many newer 2-door non commercial pickups do you see anymore? In fact you don't see many extended cab pickups either.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
If they built the 2dr green like we all saw I'd be driving it today!

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Like 2 door SUVs of the past, there's no sizeable market to be gained.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I do have money to burn and would buy one tomorrow if it was available. 4 doors for me are a waste, and add nothing.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Same here, 4-doors are a waste. Not quite to the "money to burn" stage yet, but I'm working on it.

Problem I see is that Jeep hasn't quite figured out that they're core audience isn't quite right in the head anyways. Cheers fellow nutjobs! If they gave us the option, we would take the bait. "Jeeple" (kudos to that douche, I'll own it) are a rare breed, the market is small by default. The margin on the JT, even though it is admittedly overpriced, would never justify any level of retooling outside small panels and plug-and-play options that can be fitted on the established Unlimited platform as per the day's manufacturing schedule in Toledo. Besides, the Fiat in them is too busy making gumdrops that sell extremely well. The fact that the JT is only available in two engines, one of which requires the additional automatic tranny only, shows that catering to us lugnuts isn't high on their priorities list. That's fine, we all know they're not in it for their health or to save the planet. Respect. But, if releasing images of that 2-door green beauty was to test the waters, I wonder how many responses read, "Awesome! When will it be available in a 4-door?"

I think more than a 2-door extended cab, I want more engine/transmission/t-case/rear end options. Seeing that Mopar supplies a massive portion of the aftermarket and most of my paycheck will end up with FCA in the end, I think I'd want the option of a completely BASE model with a la carte options more than anything they can throw at me that I'd feel is a compromise to get whatever the hell I want. I WANTED that green beast when I first saw it, patience is gone and now a 4-door is on the way.

But if they come out with a 2-door extended cab next year, I'm gonna be really F#CKIN' pissed.

OP
OP
Essential Retiree
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland Gladiator
Occupation
See my user name!! LOL!
Yeah Munkey Boy, If they release the two door ext. cab say in 2022....I will be a bit torqued about that myself. Don't get me wrong, I do love my JT. But I have a four door F-150 that takes care of multiple people. It's just the wife and I, we'd be fine in a two door ext. cab.

I guess it's just the old Scrambler in me. For years and years, my wife and I went everywhere in it and had so many comments about the Scrambler it wasn't even funny. Good times.
Sponsored