Sponsored

Why does CarPlay / uconnect sound like shit?

terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Sales
Streaming Spotify in my backyard right now thru a JBL extreme 2 Bluetooth speaker….sounds great….I guess I could just charge up the JBL and throw it in the back seat.
Spotify sounded great in my 09 JK with Infinity plugged into a Pioneer HU on standard quality. The Alpine factory HU doesn't seem to process the signal from the phone as well as other HU's. It also is heavily dependent on the mastering of the original. It's like they forgot to add Mike Anthony into the final mix of 5150 and OU812. That doesn't help this system either.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The stock alpine system sounds way better with high quality content. Rip some CDs in .wav format on a USB stick and put it in one of the USB slots and listen to the huge sound upgrade you will get because of high quality content. If you put some "high res" .wav files like 196/24, the sound quality gets even way better than CD.

Note: Sirius has a "sound quality" download selection in the settings menu on your phone. Set sound quality to maximum to sound better.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Not sure if Spotify has added this yet, but you can set Apple Music to a "Lossless" setting, which is wav/CD quality. I don't let it stream in this format while on the road (eats up too much data), but you can download in this format at home.

Now you've got me curious though. My process of getting in the truck is always to immediately plug the phone in via USB. I don't think I've streamed anything over bluetooth. As others have said, maybe that is the issue?

Phone plugged in + Apple Music sounds great imo.

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
The sound quality has been fine for me, but I sometimes get this thing where it'll start crackling randomly with Apple Car Play. I have to unplug the phone from the cord, unplug the cord from the input, then plug it all back in, and it seems to fix it. There doesn't seem to be anything that causes it. It just randomly happens.

caraddictionisreal

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Freedom
Occupation
Sales
The sound quality has been fine for me, but I sometimes get this thing where it'll start crackling randomly with Apple Car Play. I have to unplug the phone from the cord, unplug the cord from the input, then plug it all back in, and it seems to fix it. There doesn't seem to be anything that causes it. It just randomly happens.
I have the same issue when using Carplay with my 7" standard system. I tried both USB-A and USB-C (Apple only) cords on both my iPhone 12 and my wifes 11. After listening for a little while, i get intermittent static sounds in the music. I dont get that when I use Bluetooth, but I also lose a lot of functionality.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I have the same issue when using Carplay with my 7" standard system. I tried both USB-A and USB-C (Apple only) cords on both my iPhone 12 and my wifes 11. After listening for a little while, i get intermittent static sounds in the music. I dont get that when I use Bluetooth, but I also lose a lot of functionality.
Yes the sound quality drops off major when connected to carplay via the USB A or C Ports. I like you get much better from bluetooth but lose lots by going that route
Sponsored