Why no love for Duratracs?

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’ll start by saying I have no dog in this fight. I’m just trying to learn….

By everything I see online, Duratracs are capable, light, affordable, and even 3PMS rated. So why aren’t more people driving them?
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I had them on my Xterra. I thought they didn’t good off road on dirt, rocks and in deep snow (off-road), but god awful in the rain (asphalt).

OffAxis2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
25th. Anniversary Ducati Monster 1200 #188/500
Occupation
Company car hauling truck driver 26 years 2024.
My son’s 2002 Tacoma Prerunner dedicated warm weather tires and wearing very well. He runs 235/85R16 dedicated and winter specific tires (Hercules Avalanche) during… well… winter.

General Motors has them factory installed on certain trim level pickups.

That is all I have got other than the Goodyear website need a serious update/overhaul and I see no size I would want.

¯\_(❛︣ ͜ʖ ❛᷅)_/¯

Last edited:

hehmsen3

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-8, 2015 JK Sport, 2023 JTR (ordered)
Occupation
Auto Parts
I've been running 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's for years and love them. They've handled rain, snow, sleet, mud, dirt... everything that's been thrown at them.

Sponsored

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
I ran 33x12.5s on my previous rig. Great in snow and in asphalt. Very good in mud and dirt. They were light, and they do that in part by having a much thinner sidewall than some other tires. I drive a lot of rocky trails in an area where sharp shale ledges are common. I’ll admit I never had a sidewall failure, but I stepped up to KO2s and now Mickey Thompsons for the added toughness and piece of mind.

Vincent

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I’ve had 3 sets on various other jeeps and they’re a great tire early on imo, just fade quickly in traction and ride…. Plus, I feel the options out there now are much better while the Duratracs need a new design.

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I run 315/70r17 Duratracs 3 seasons for many years and I'm very happy with them. No complaints on or off road at all. I do run dedicated winter tires (Nokian Hakka LT3), so I can't speak to winter use.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
They are ok tires but I found on my wrangler they weren't as good as KO2s, Goodyear's, or my Kanati's in the rain. Plus they don't so hot when aired down in trails. I've seen a few come off the Wheel

PeterGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
(re)tired...!
Had them (stock size) on my '12 JKS and they were excellent tires and performed extremely well in New England winters, out west now I'm an enormous fan of KO2s as they perform exceptionally in the desert environment.

Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I too had great experiences with them on a 4Runner. So much so that I threw a set on my wife's Acadia. Her Acadia w/ AWD and the duratracs were unstoppable in the pocono mountain winters. Road manners were great and they wore very well. Never let me down on the trail although we aren't extreme and look great.

The only reason I stopped running them (bearing in mind this was about 5 years ago) is because they were at the top of the spectrum as far as cost and the wildpeaks recently hit, which while weren't as good for us, were nearly half the cost back then. This was back when you could get a wildpeak in 35x12.5 R17 for like $250 whereas the duratracs in the same size were closer to $400 a pop. I may opt for them soon when my Open Country AT3s are ready to go.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I think this leaked slide affected Goodyear's tire sales.
🤷‍♂️ Could be a reason 🤷‍♀️
I know when it occurred, a bunch of car enthusiasts that support Law Enforcement swore they would never buy tires from them again on a wide variety of car forums and social media.

Jeep Gladiator Why no love for Duratracs? 1665880547813

The last set of goodyears I had on my jeep had 3 sidewalls bubble, so I won't use them. Those did not handle airing down and being flexed on rocks

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I think this leaked slide affected Goodyear's tire sales.
🤷‍♂️ Could be a reason 🤷‍♀️
I know when it occurred, a bunch of car enthusiasts that support Law Enforcement swore they would never buy tires from them again on a wide variety of car forums and social media.

Jeep Gladiator Why no love for Duratracs? 1665880547813

The last set of goodyears I had on my jeep had 3 sidewalls bubble, so I won't use them. Those did not handle airing down and being flexed on rocks
Assuming that is legit....I'd want to burn my current GoodYears!

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
It's legit.
Go ahead and search for it.
People are free to make up their own minds, I am simply providing this agnostically as a potential reason to the O.P.s question
Sponsored