Sponsored

Why not buy a Centerforce dual friction clutch?

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
i just started the teardown to replace the clutch. so far i have 2 hours into teardown. tomorrow after school, i will remove the starter and disconnect all attachments to the transfer case and transmission. after which, i hope to remove the transfer case and maybe the transmission if possible. sometimes having aftermarket accessories is a pain.
Sponsored

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
the centerforce clutch is a real clutch. WOW. what a difference between the OEM clutch and the centerforce. it is all complete except i need to bleed the clutch more and i need to adjust the exhaust system because of a leak at the connector for the crossover pipe to the muffler pipe.

Bbannongmu
i do believe you are right and i am going to love this clutch.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
the centerforce clutch is a real clutch. WOW. what a difference between the OEM clutch and the centerforce. it is all complete except i need to bleed the clutch more and i need to adjust the exhaust system because of a leak at the connector for the crossover pipe to the muffler pipe.

Bbannongmu
i do believe you are right and i am going to love this clutch.
Congrats!

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, finally had enough.! Mine is on the way!
Trying to het rid of the "hate" in this "love-hate" relationship
Nice! Congrats and good luck! Loving mine!!!

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Wheeled bridal veil road, Ophir pass, and Imogene pass this week with my freshly broken-in CF clutch.
The flywheel, my 4.56 gears, the confidence of bite, all added up to an amazing experience!
I would have been second guessing every 3-point switchback without it.

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
update on what I think about the Centerforce clutch. I installed the clutch on 19 Sept 2022 and after driving it 400 miles out of 500, the clutch is night and day to the OEM. this weekend, I did a level 1 off-road ride on what is called skyline drive above Bountiful, Utah. I did not push the clutch nor did I baby the clutch and what I learned from the test was how the clutch worked. the trip was 30 miles long and very beautiful because of the change in colors for the trees. the clutch felt strong the entire way and once I got down off the trail, the clutch pedal felt spongy. when I got home, I bled the hydraulics according to the instructions from Centerforce 3 times and the clutch pedal felt better with a much better engagement then it felt after I installed the clutch. I will have the 500 miles completed and on the 13th thru the 16th of Oct. I will be playing on the continental divide thru Wyoming before going to Moab the following weekend for the real test of this jeep. overall, this clutch system from Centerforce is what Jeep should have done for a clutch. would I recommend a person go down this pathway. the answer is yes by all means. at the very least, I would change out the hydraulics because of what Centerforce changed involving the slave cylinder and the hydraulic line.

CJXJJT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
51 CJ3A, 71 CJ5, 72 CJ6, 93 XJ, 21 JT
Occupation
Machinist
update on what I think about the Centerforce clutch. I installed the clutch on 19 Sept 2022 and after driving it 400 miles out of 500, the clutch is night and day to the OEM. this weekend, I did a level 1 off-road ride on what is called skyline drive above Bountiful, Utah. I did not push the clutch nor did I baby the clutch and what I learned from the test was how the clutch worked. the trip was 30 miles long and very beautiful because of the change in colors for the trees. the clutch felt strong the entire way and once I got down off the trail, the clutch pedal felt spongy. when I got home, I bled the hydraulics according to the instructions from Centerforce 3 times and the clutch pedal felt better with a much better engagement then it felt after I installed the clutch. I will have the 500 miles completed and on the 13th thru the 16th of Oct. I will be playing on the continental divide thru Wyoming before going to Moab the following weekend for the real test of this jeep. overall, this clutch system from Centerforce is what Jeep should have done for a clutch. would I recommend a person go down this pathway. the answer is yes by all means. at the very least, I would change out the hydraulics because of what Centerforce changed involving the slave cylinder and the hydraulic line.
Thanks for the great update, can't wait to get mine installed!

eroc87

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for the great update, can't wait to get mine installed!
Have folks gone with the stage 1 or stage 2 with clutch masters? I've been debating stage 2 since I tow a small trailer for camping.

CJXJJT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machinist
I went with the Centerforce II clutch kit. Not the dual friction kit. According to Centerforce the dual friction kit is for rigs with way more hp or super heavy towing situations.

Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
What exactly is different about the hydraulics? Maybe I missed it.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Centerforce II clutch kit. Not the dual friction kit. According to Centerforce the dual friction kit is for rigs with way more hp or super heavy towing situations.
I went dual friction. I tow an ATV Trailer periodically. It is grippier and you can take off without throttle. The only “downside” is increased pedal effort. It’s not like an old truck or anything but it’s not Honda Civic light like the stock one. I noticed it the first couple days but now I’m just used to it.

CJXJJT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machinist
I went dual friction. I tow an ATV Trailer periodically. It is grippier and you can take off without throttle. The only “downside” is increased pedal effort. It’s not like an old truck or anything but it’s not Honda Civic light like the stock one. I noticed it the first couple days but now I’m just used to it.
I hope I don't regret "not" going with the dual friction set up?
I think I will be ok, that flywheel should be a game changer. The old odd-fire Buick motor has a heavy flywheel, I absolutely love that setup with 538's and an overdrive. One of my favorite mountain rigs.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hope I don't regret "not" going with the dual friction set up?
I think I will be ok, that flywheel should be a game changer. The old odd-fire Buick motor has a heavy flywheel, I absolutely love that setup with 538's and an overdrive. One of my favorite mountain rigs.
I’d love to have the opportunity to drive both set ups back to back. I doubt you’ll regret it.. the heavier flywheel and upgraded hydraulics are probably 9/10ths of the improvement. I don’t think you can go wrong with either set up.

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What exactly is different about the hydraulics? Maybe I missed it.
Centerforce redesigned the clutch master cylinder. they redesigned the clutch slave cylinder to be longer and changed the hydraulic line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder to a steel braided line with the addition of a loose exhaust wrap boot to help with deflecting the heat.
Sponsored