Sponsored

Why Rooftop Tent?

htremper

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (with toddler booster seat!)
Occupation
Rockstar
Just this past weekend I was really considering the RTT. My main question is the cleaning of the tent after it was in the rain and you have to putaway wet. How hard is it to take down so it can be hung to dry? What is the process to clean the exterior from sap, bird crap etc.?
If you have to put away wet...yes you pretty much need to get to where you are going and put up again. Be it your house or next campsite. Again...it opens in < 2 minutes so get home and open for a few hours. I have also gotten home...it’s still raining ans I opened up just so it’s not sitting there festering.

Cleaning...same thing...open it up...mild soap and water etc just like a normal ground tent.

As for removing...I’m sure people here have some pretty awesome ways via some garage crane or harness etc. All I have is a friend I con to come over. It’s pretty easy to remove just awkward and about 160lbs.

M4Fun

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
I love the RTT - for me its all the same comments as those mentioned earlier. I no longer use any other tent other than backpacking and having to carry a light tent.

My solution to mounting the RTT goes back to before I got the JT. On top of an old M416 trailer.

Jeep Gladiator Why Rooftop Tent? IMG_20190921_180239

Scrambler84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 1984 Scrambler
Occupation
Network Engineer
buying an RV is a little to rich for my blood and then your flat towing? yeah make sure its not in 4-lo lol, I here thats bad for the engine and transfer case.

Jeep Gladiator Why Rooftop Tent? JTRD Oak Ridge 20210321-00
Jeep Gladiator Why Rooftop Tent? IMG_4685.JPG

Last edited:

tabrods

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport s
Occupation
Retired
Have a Yakima two person RTT mounted on a Yakima HD rack. Works great for me. It really is nice to pull in and not have set up a ground tent, particularly in the rain. The RTT sets up in like ten minutes and you're done. No pictures yet as it's in the garage waiting patiently. It takes no more than ten minutes to move it from the garage to mounting on the racks with two people.

Oh yeah you'll also be eyeball to eyeball with any Bigfoot that wanders into camp....

Sponsored

Outdork

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Realtor & Property Manager
I had to have the hardtop option - wanted to be able to quick deploy/stow, so that ruled out all the less expensive options out there. I decided on Torro Offroad as they have a 2 person hard shell that fits over the bed without overhang and the platform doubles when you open (Opens to the passenger side). While the mattress that come with is was ok, I also bought the best on market Exped Megamat Duo to ensure a great night's sleep. Also, I went with JCR's half rack to keep center of mass low when driving. This set-up I leave on year round and keep the mattress in the tent too. The tent weighs just 120 lbs, so not a big deal and I do not notice it when driving.

Glad Set-up.jpg

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Seems like a massive swing in price to sleep five feet higher, but I’ve also never used one before. I’ve typically just grabbed my tent and tossed it down on the ground and went. Having quick versatility to use the truck as a truck has its benefits. Camp on the weekend and grab some lumber on Monday without taking down the whole system.

Curious why people choose a RTT over a typical ground tent? Is it simplicity? An extra layer of security? Is it cool factor? What’s best for you? Certainly not knocking it; I wouldn’t mind having one for ease at the campsite. Just need to justify the additional cost of a more expensive tent as well as the additional cost of the infrastructure needed to have the tent.
I agree, to each their own....if you want to be loaded up for safari 24/7 then good for you. I use the truck as a multi-purpose vehicle, ie. I want to use the bed in between overland/camping runs, and have the freedom to not have to pull all that shite out of the truck every time I need to go use the open bed for carrying capacity. Like I said, to each their own, but I dont want it. Now I am in the process of design/build of a small off-road type support trailer, that will be enclosed, to hold cooking and refrig/storage gear on a sliding rack probably, and the capability to hold the kayaks. I may make a platform above that, that would hold a RTT situation, but for a couple thou for a damn tent?? Doubt I will ever have one.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
A trailer-mounted tent is a nice option if you want to leave the camp and explore the trails.
Agree, my previous post I discussed this...but I still cant swallow the cost of these damn things, somebody is making ALOT of profit margin on the sales side. I might could deal with a $600-900 on time buy, but over that, forget it.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I love the RTT - for me its all the same comments as those mentioned earlier. I no longer use any other tent other than backpacking and having to carry a light tent.

My solution to mounting the RTT goes back to before I got the JT. On top of an old M416 trailer.

Jeep Gladiator Why Rooftop Tent? Glad Set-u
thats what Im thinking about, drawing up plans to weld up a trailer, that would be where a RTT would go. Good set up you have there, not there yet but thats where Im probably headed

Sponsored

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Seems like a massive swing in price to sleep five feet higher, but I’ve also never used one before. I’ve typically just grabbed my tent and tossed it down on the ground and went. Having quick versatility to use the truck as a truck has its benefits. Camp on the weekend and grab some lumber on Monday without taking down the whole system.

Curious why people choose a RTT over a typical ground tent? Is it simplicity? An extra layer of security? Is it cool factor? What’s best for you? Certainly not knocking it; I wouldn’t mind having one for ease at the campsite. Just need to justify the additional cost of a more expensive tent as well as the additional cost of the infrastructure needed to have the tent.
Cuz Instagram. Influencers make us do lots of things man.
I’m an old school tent on the ground guy. That and I don’t want a bed rack system at all. I will say a trailer is the way to do it if I wanted a rooftop tent.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Cuz Instagram. Influencers make us do lots of things man.
I’m an old school tent on the ground guy. That and I don’t want a bed rack system at all. I will say a trailer is the way to do it if I wanted a rooftop tent.
I had a trailer. Although it was large at 18’. But even teardtops introduce a lot of complexities and problems. Its a trade off. Many places I want to go are simply not suitable for a trailer…. Even a teardrop type. I absolutely despise the instagram craze that have turned camping into a fad and ruined so many beautiful places, but rtt does open a door for a lot of peoples needs.

I agree, to each their own....if you want to be loaded up for safari 24/7 then good for you. I use the truck as a multi-purpose vehicle, ie. I want to use the bed in between overland/camping runs, and have the freedom to not have to pull all that shite out of the truck every time I need to go use the open bed for carrying capacity. Like I said, to each their own, but I dont want it. Now I am in the process of design/build of a small off-road type support trailer, that will be enclosed, to hold cooking and refrig/storage gear on a sliding rack probably, and the capability to hold the kayaks. I may make a platform above that, that would hold a RTT situation, but for a couple thou for a damn tent?? Doubt I will ever have one.
These markets are flat out insane with how much things cost. But a couple thousand for a rtt is a lot cheaper than teardrops with a starting price of 10-15K

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Absolutely love our RTT! Pull into camp late at night, pop 4 latches and up it goes! Bed is already made, 3” es of memory foam, off the ground. Hard shell top and bottom make for a much quieter tent in the wind.

And… if you put a nighttime potty up there… well you get plenty of kisses like this!

Jeep Gladiator Why Rooftop Tent? D6C63968-2399-4168-BC3D-421A02A8D16A

Jeep Gladiator Why Rooftop Tent? E5FB1C5A-6A89-4002-8BFE-D8090B6AD905

Jeep Gladiator Why Rooftop Tent? 1294BEEE-C5F0-41FC-B762-A097D8F5EC08

Jeep Gladiator Why Rooftop Tent? 32DD1CB0-DA26-4403-B947-688CAC0C1E01

Jeep Gladiator Why Rooftop Tent? F8A84B75-2239-4F62-B25F-913A274101A0

Last edited:

vicsvx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.0
I didn't read everyone's comments... But considering that I told myself I won't ever do a RTT because I still use my truck as a truck and taking the tent off will be annoying... But here I am and literally bought a RTT last week. My last camp trip was rough going on the ground as my back and hips were not happy.I Just bought a $400 bike packing tent and last year so a RTT was not in my mind untill my last trip.

I bought a used RTT thule from Facebook marketplace for 1100. And it's Almsot like new. A few blemish but not worth the 2300 price new. And I decided to build an overland trailer. I get to use my truck as a truck, trailer will Almost always be ready to go camping, garage to store it, and it'll be a fun little project. Yes, exspenisve compared to ground tenting, but cheaper than a camper/overlanding trailer and overall more convenient for me... Plus the wife will be happier with a mattress and less time to setup, literally under 10 min. Pillows and bags stay in the RTT when stored. Happy wife, happy life am I right boys

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
I had a trailer. Although it was large at 18’. But even teardtops introduce a lot of complexities and problems. Its a trade off. Many places I want to go are simply not suitable for a trailer…. Even a teardrop type. I absolutely despise the instagram craze that have turned camping into a fad and ruined so many beautiful places, but rtt does open a door for a lot of peoples needs.

These markets are flat out insane with how much things cost. But a couple thousand for a rtt is a lot cheaper than teardrops with a starting price of 10-15K
I meant a short metal cargo trailer with a rack big enough for a rtt. I would never own anything bigger than that.
Sponsored