Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Seeing lots of Jeep adds with sales and specials for the Gladiator. My question is why is the rebates and sales seem to be always for the Overland. I get that the Rubicon and Mojave are exempt. Does the Overland just not sell so this model gets the deep discount, or is it a marketing ploy for a middle model?

Bruce
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Could be seasonal heading into the Holidays. I know with Wrangler sales, they usually drop in the Fall and Winter months because the whole open top and being in the air appeal is lost. With the Overland model, most are going to be optioned Hard Tops and it appeals to the suburbanite crowd that value it less for the off road capabilities and more for the creature comfort options.

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave and 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
Its pure marketing. People who want a Mojave or Rubicon are willing to pay for it because they want the specific capabilities they more than likely already have their mind made up.

The overland models are geared towards your average consumer just looking at different vehicles and trying to decide which one they want. If they can make that average consumer think they are getting a better deal because "its on sale" they are more likely to chose Jeep over some other brand or "buy now" before the "sale" ends.

OP
OP
Blknblu

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Its pure marketing. People who want a Mojave or Rubicon are willing to pay for it because they want the specific capabilities they more than likely already have their mind made up.

The overland models are geared towards your average consumer just looking at different vehicles and trying to decide which one they want. If they can make that average consumer think they are getting a better deal because "its on sale" they are more likely to chose Jeep over some other brand or "buy now" before the "sale" ends.
That makes sense to my but why the Overland over the Sport or Sport S models.

Bruce

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ‘82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
I went with the Overland because I wanted a Truck.
Don’t plan on rock crawling and didn’t like the inside of the Rubi.
It is Nice on the inside and I changed the outside, what I was going to do either way, with the difference in price.
Jeep Gladiator Why the Overland 5F7F631B-0F0C-4454-9D29-11935FA1EF7C

Sponsored

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave and 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
That makes sense to my but why the Overland over the Sport or Sport S models.

Bruce
My guess is profit margin is higher on the overland. Most people want some of the convenience features that come standard on the overland and giving a "discount" on the overland models gives sales people a better chance to upsale someone looking at a Sport or Sport S because they can narrow the price gap a bit.

OP
OP
Blknblu

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is profit margin is higher on the overland. Most people want some of the convenience features that come standard on the overland and giving a "discount" on the overland models gives sales people a better chance to upsale someone looking at a Sport or Sport S because they can narrow the price gap a bit.
Yeah i asked a Chrysler rep friend of mine and that is one reason and also what is currently in FCA inventory.

Bruce

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No dealers around here even stock Overland - all you'll find is Sport or Rubicon

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The Rubicon and Mohave are more niche models. If you wanted to put the models in terms of something like Ford, the base sport is the XL, the Sport S is the XLT, the Overland is the Limited.

The Overland lets you get some of the options available in the Rubicon/Mohave that you can't get in the Sport/Sport S, just minus the off road specific stuff.

Some things you can get in the overland but not the Sport/Sport S:

18" factory wheels
Remote proximity entry
Leather Seats
LED Lights

It also comes standard with a couple of things that are options on the Sport/Sport S like body colored fender flares ($250 option on Sport) and side steps.($695 option on Sport).

I'm sure there are a few other things that i'm missing.

EDIT: And to more answer your question, yes I would imagine a greater profit margin. I think the majority of sales are probably the Sport S. It's configured well and has a better price. The overland started at a couple thousand more than the Sport S and unless you specifically wanted some of those features that aren't available in the Sport you probably didn't spend the extra money for it.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Its purely aesthetics, its a different options package without adding any additional functionality over the Sport S. I bought mine because I got the Matched Fenders and Top, Leather, electronics and a more luxurious interior and exterior look without having to pay extra (bigger rims/tires, bumpers, trim). They sell slower because they are a few grand more than the Sport S, but it gets mighty close to base Rubicon range without discounts- If your going to drop 50k- may as well get the Rubicon. So they sit- and the longer they sit, the more likely they are to be discounted. I am happy with mine because I hate black plastic everything and now the black plastic is mostly painted and leather covered.

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I was considering a Willys because I like the look better but no leather or color matched hard top. Now I am considering a Overland and changing the wheels and removing all the chrome.

Can anyone notice any other differences between the Willys and Overland?
My order will be
3.0L Diesel
8.4" stereo with premium audio
Adaptive Cruise

OP
OP
Blknblu

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I understand the options and differences, just was wondering why the advertisements always have the Overlands with the discount and no other models.

Bruce

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
All the add ons are easy money for FCA. Leather, painted top, stereo exc...... They make more money from them.

OP
OP
Blknblu

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All the add ons are easy money for FCA. Leather, painted top, stereo exc...... They make more money from them.
yes, that is what i was told too.

Bruce

jsolsd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (TBD)
Occupation
Solar Industry
I was considering a Willys because I like the look better but no leather or color matched hard top. Now I am considering a Overland and changing the wheels and removing all the chrome.

Can anyone notice any other differences between the Willys and Overland?
My order will be
3.0L Diesel
8.4" stereo with premium audio
Adaptive Cruise
I went with the Overland over the Willys in large part due to the proximity keyless option not being available for the Willys. The popular equipment package on the Overland gives you a lot.
Sponsored