Sponsored

wife wants to buy the new JEEP EV.....opinions?

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
She's been looking at either the Sahara or Rubicon models...

Looks like it'll be about 65k for the rubicon and 50k+ for the Sahara.

Anyone have one? Opinions?
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
It’s the latest out. If you’re not afraid of any bugs, go for it. For me, the range of the EV version doesn’t justify it for me.
Losing the rear seat storage is a bummer too.

Others have posted the electric savings is only a few cents per mile difference.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Can you have her convince my wife it's what she needs for her next vehicle? I'd love to be a full on Jeep family, and it'll be fun to drive with the extra power.

If your wife has a 10-12 mile commute for work, she'd be able to get it in without using fuel most of the time which is pretty cool. If she wants it because she thinks it's going to be saving the environment, there are many threads out here discussing that, and it doesn't appear to be the best vehicle for that, just a step in the right direction for future development. The extra power and tourque for comparable mpgs as the gasser and a gas free commute are the biggest pros to me.

OP
OP
DirtySaylor

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
she drives less than 30 miles round trip for her commute. Jeep is claiming 49 mpg overall hwy....

She doesn't care about saving the whales or anything like that, but finds it appealing that a jeep can get decent gas mileage. Would be cool to have two jeeps in the driveway! :)

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
The power it has too is something to consider. When both kick in together these things have some serious tourqe and probably some really nice acceleration for a jeep.

Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yea that mpg is a little misleading. Not sure exactly how it's calculated but it incorporates the range of electric only and hybrid at full charge. Once the electric range runs out, I think the mpg is closer to 20 like the gas Wrangler but you still get the bonuses of tourque and acceleration. And a 30 mile roundtrip commute means she'll only use gas for a few miles as long as she always charges it. My wife's commute is like 25 miles and she always drives her car til the light comes on or I get gas for her first. As long as she'd charge it, she'd be in good shape, not that I would mind filling it

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Hard pass on the 20mi battery range. For $50k I'll take a Tesla Model Y with 300mi range and more torque. Can't offroad as well, but it can hold it's own on mild stuff

Plus, TFL hates it

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK, 2016 JKU, 2020 JT Mojave

Some dude just posted a trip report on FB and brageed about his massive 17.9MPG. Whats the point if thats what it gets?

Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
If she has to have it go for it, but know there is new battery tech coming out at the end of this year for Tesla (will probably be in the Tesla Model 300 1st) the 4680 Batteries. Below is an older article. Also very recently there have been rumors of Tesla and Toyota working together on battery tech. and on an SUV built for the most part by Toyota with the operating systems including self driving, from Tesla.

Toyota is also heavily invested in Solid State Batteries projected to be out in 3 years (Toyota invested $19 billion in battery tech... that’s right with a B) many other companies investing as well.

The Verge

“Tesla is calling them 4860 cells, will give the company’s EV batteries five times more energy capacity, make them six times more powerful, and enable a 16 percent range increase for Tesla’s vehicles.”

The Jeep EV tech May be obsolete in 1-3 years.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Some dude just posted a trip report on FB and brageed about his massive 17.9MPG. Whats the point if thats what it gets?

Depends on her commute, if it’s less than 30 miles to work and she can charge there, then she may really enjoy it at not use fuel. (ex is estimated at 50 miles on battery alone)

There is a guy on YouTube “YourNorth”that has tested his out and received over 30mpg on highest recharge setting with mixed speeds including 70mph on the interstate. His videos are
Good

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

I would suggest looking at leasing this one, and then buying the next revision. The $7500 federal rebate will get applied up front, and should make for a decent lease rate.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S