Sponsored

Will there be a 392 Gladiator? If not.........

Gymguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hydro Blue Unlimited Rubicon
Now that the 392JL is out has anyone heard anything about a 392 Gladiator?
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
I hope they eventually bring the 392 over to the gladiator. I'm sure you'll be looking at 80-88k Gladiator.

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
If they were to offer the 5.7 HEMI in a gladiator at a reasonable upgrade price, I'd eat the costs of getting out of my lease today to order it. I won't lie - I'm a mall-crawler - but my daily work commute on the highway can be... interesting... to say the least. I'm not complaining about the 3.6 (since I had it tuned) but to have a NA V8 would be a dream, especially if there was no / minimal loss in fuel economy.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
It may be absurd... but just for a moment - think about the 4.0 V8 used in vw/audi products. Why can't jeep sort out a small, efficient, torquey, moderately powerful V8 that solves the 3.6's deficiencies. Heck add 2 cylinders to the 3.6 architecture. I know its not as easy as that but its also not as hard as it used to be. No one "needs" (hehehe) a TRX Gladiator. That is what the TRX is for. And if you want a full size Gladiator buy a Powerwagon. What a LOT of people need (now, and in the future) is a more capable mid size truck because when they start selling badge engineered Gladiators as Durango's I am pretty confident the Durango crowd is going to have a lot less tolerance for so-so towing and shitty mileage.

Stay with me... think about what it would be like to have a lightweight, 3.5-4.6L aluminum v8, 330ft/lbs, 350hp relatively low revving v8 ina Gladiator as a $2500 upcharge. Offer the CNG changeover hardware like Ford for fleets and make it available with both tyhe 8sp and a beefed up manual (Jeep if you are listening please please please make it backwards compatible so I can get my warranty issue resolved through hardware rather than software) and then Jeep and Dodge would OWN the midsize truck market. They'd be making the only midsize platform that comfortably tows its max capacity, with engines ranging from contractor duty v6 to v8 power to fuel efficient diesel to the 4xe powertrain that merely swaps batteries and a motor in front of a standard(ish) driveline. With 2 body styles (JT and Durango)! Assuming they don't do something stupidly expensive like give the durango an IFS you would have everything from a mall crawler toy to a lifestyle vehicle to an honestly strong work truck in one platform. It would be unbeatable. Of course...

Ford will compete by offering a 3cyl, supercharged and turbocharged 400hp 1.5L screamer in the next gen Rangerette Sport Mach-E EcoSport Sasquatch. Ford bros will tout the numbers on paper and be happy with all the screens, cameras and knobs to steer in reverse. Ford will update this feature midcyle with off road modes for backing down the trail and will make stupid TV spots featuring females who love this feature. Cause you know, guys don't need it... 🙄

Toyota will offer a Taco with a stronger v6 that they trust. Something they are familiar with that is reliable and has been tested elsewhere in their their parts bin - like the supercharged v6 Previa. Maybe they will introduce direct injection. Taco bros will reliably cite the reliability factor. They won't mention frames, technology or tires larger than 35inches. Tacos will also gain 1 inch of interior roof height. Maybe.

Chevy will compete by bringing back a dated engine architecture but with a twist. Like an inline 5cyl diesel. Chevy will offer a 10sp Allison automatic. Chevy bros will ... be confused. But they'll buy the marketing pitch as soon as they see it in the NASCAR truck series. AEV will make an expensive monster out of it. Magazines will swoon.
I’m with you 100%. The engine you are describing is sort of the GM 5.3 aluminum block. I know the 5.3 is a little bigger than what you are calling for, but it’s such a compact design it would fit great in a wrangler/JT. Great power (for a Jeep), and very little weight increase over the 3.6. Perfect for those living at altitude, for running 37s, or for towing in the mountains (even if max towing remains unchanged due to chassis, cooling, braking limitations).

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I’m with you 100%. The engine you are describing is sort of the GM 5.3 aluminum block. I know the 5.3 is a little bigger than what you are calling for, but it’s such a compact design it would fit great in a wrangler/JT. Great power (for a Jeep), and very little weight increase over the 3.6. Perfect for those living at altitude, for running 37s, or for towing in the mountains (even if max towing remains unchanged due to chassis, cooling, braking limitations).
That GM 5.3L small block would be perfect. They make a million of those things and they are pretty damn reliable... and ubiquitous in case of the zombie apocolypse!

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I thought this would be a no brainer but after thinking about it I wouldn't. On a Wrangler shorter wheel base, 2 solid axles, lifted how I would want it... nah. Even if it had the Mojave shocks nah. On a Gladiator maaaaybe but still don't think I would.

Perhaps if it were paired with Dana 60s I would consider it.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Inside word is that a 392 gladiator is in the works...same source where I originally heard about the 392 wrangler.

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Awesome! No way I will be able to afford it though :D
I'm hoping that by the time Jeep offers it on the gladiator the price point is not that far off from the wrangler 392.

Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Just read through the Four Wheeler article. Here's why I have my doubts:

The cooling module moved forward 20 millimeters to better manage heat, and the regular Wrangler's 600-watt fan is now 850 watts. The 392 also uses the Jeep Gladiator's higher-flowing grille.
The Gladiator suffered quite a bit in the power plant capability department to keep the maximum amount Jeep aesthetics and parts interchange. Cooling has been widely touted as the most significant limiting factor. If they're already used all of the Gladiator's tricks to shoehorn the 6.2L V8 into the lighter duty JL platform, it seems that getting it into the Gladiator would result in even more compromises; likely in the engine's output. IF the 6.2L is detuned and making relatively lower power in the JL, maybe they can match it in the Gladiator, but the cooling tricks they've already done suggest this is not the case. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that those words make the likelihood seem considerably lower.

Personally, I'd give a 6.2L a pass. I've long been of the opinion that a V6 is a stupid engine for any truck. I'm also of the opinion that full size trucks have gotten way too big, and a mid-size is a littler large for my tastes, so I'm pretty well stuck with a V6 since the only other viable option is Chevy's 2.8L Duramax (which is currently sitting in the driveway waiting to be sold). I'd be very happy with a small displacement V8. A second order harmonic imbalance is livable, and the torque can be delivered down low in the RPM band where it belongs in a truck. The 4.7L Mercedes derived V8 they had in the Dodge Dakota (I owned one of these at one point) and some Jeep model(s I don't know which one or ones) was a bit of a dog, but if they could keep the head gaskets where they belong and work out some of the serviceability kinks, I'd be very pleased with an engine like that. 6.2L is just too much. Much more than is necessary or prudent to the point of just being a little silly and not really meeting the needs of the platform.

If they really want to make me happy (spoiler: they do not), they'd give us a solid and bulletproof straight six and call it a day. Best engine configuration for a truck by far.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I had the excellent 318 (5.2) in a Dakota once. Loved that truck, excellent torque and towing. You know, truck stuff!

I still believe that there's a divide here between folks that feel the JT is a truck (and should have power to behave like one) and those that feel the JT is simply a Wrangler with a bed (whereas the Pentastar is typically sufficient for that).

Personally I feel that with loads of weight being added to these vehicles in accessories, tires etc that the Pentastar lacks sufficient power for many applications. Off the showroom floor it's sufficient for most I suppose.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I still believe that there's a divide here between folks that feel the JT is a truck (and should have power to behave like one) and those that feel the JT is simply a Wrangler with a bed (whereas the Pentastar is typically sufficient for that).
I think Jeep themselves is divided in that regard. They gave it a Ram 1500 back end, but can't stop talking about "lifestyle". The V6 (and the price) is my biggest misgiving on the Gladiator. If they gave it a fascia more akin to the original Gladiator, they wouldn't have the cooling limitations they do. Then they could give it a proper powertrain, and we'd be talking one of the best trucks ever made.

Sleighman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Retired LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I can only imagine a 392 off road. 4 low. Holy crap. Better bring a huge supply of those plastic red fuel containers. Cause the fuel gauge is gonna move faster than the Jeep covers the terrain. My two door 2004 Rubicon straight 6 with upgraded 4:56 gears 4:1 in low got 6 mpg or less. When I went off road back then I always took 10 gallons of extra gas. Imagine 485 hp. It would be like a sink hole opened in the gas tank.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Saw my first 392 wrangler in the wild. I did a double take at the gold tow hooks and went to get a closer look. Owner walked up and answered all my questions. Very cool guy. He told me the thing he doesn't like is full time 4WD is permanently engaged so hard to do burnouts. Said it was fast as f%^k (my words not his) and then started it up and showed me the difference in the exhaust sounds (loud and extra loud). He floored it pulling out of home depot. Made my DAY!

BUT - he suggested that the 392 is a bit much - it makes it a toy not a worker. I liked it but I'm even more convinced that I don't want to see a 392 Gladiator - would prefer a more powerful and capable gladiator though - 4.5-5.3L ish V8 would be my wish with a manual transmission and 2H/4H capability.

Jeep Gladiator Will there be a 392 Gladiator? If not......... IMG_0190
Sponsored