Winch line - synthetic vs cable

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Like the majority of winches in existence today, yours will spend most of its life spooled and never used.
In that regard, either cable type is likely going to meet your needs if and when it's ever deployed.

I use the winch on my ATV quite a bit around my property. Clearing downed trees from two miles of trails in the woods, running a trail mower up and down the steep banks on the pond, recovering my zero turn from bad decisions, and more.
It came with a steel cable, and it was OK, but a bit unruly at times, and if you've never had loose strand of steel pierce a finger, have you really truly lived?
I switched to synthetic in its second year of use, and have replaced the cable twice.
It's more flexible, safer, stronger, and doesn't rust, rot, or kink.
The salt brine shouldn't affect it all. As for mud and grit, just spool it out every spring and hose it down. Squeeze it through a damp cloth as you wind it back in.
Inspect and maintain a couple of times a year.
Sponsored

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
also if no one mentioned it the weight difference between the two, steel winch line is alot heavier than synthetic winch.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Ah. That makes more sense. I thought it would’ve been similar set up as a front bumper.

Is there any type of plate you can put around the winch to protect the back and underside from debris?
possibly? Its going to be a tight fit for sure but I could probably use a thin sheet of aluminum to at least protect the underside of it. Probably a good idea really.

Not impossible to use. You had asked about longevity, if you leave the synthetic line and not clean it it will degrade over time. Same as with a cable, it will rust.

You had mentioned this- "plus they spray that liquid de-icer salt garbage in my area" It is the same in PA and it does cause issues.
ok good to know. The road spray is my primary concern. With cable I could just soray it down with wd40 every fall. But wasnt sure how that would affect the synthetic line

Like the majority of winches in existence today, yours will spend most of its life spooled and never used.
In that regard, either cable type is likely going to meet your needs if and when it's ever deployed.

I use the winch on my ATV quite a bit around my property. Clearing downed trees from two miles of trails in the woods, running a trail mower up and down the steep banks on the pond, recovering my zero turn from bad decisions, and more.
It came with a steel cable, and it was OK, but a bit unruly at times, and if you've never had loose strand of steel pierce a finger, have you really truly lived?
I switched to synthetic in its second year of use, and have replaced the cable twice.
It's more flexible, safer, stronger, and doesn't rust, rot, or kink.
The salt brine shouldn't affect it all. As for mud and grit, just spool it out every spring and hose it down. Squeeze it through a damp cloth as you wind it back in.
Inspect and maintain a couple of times a year.
yeah possibly but i would likely use the rear winch first over the front in terms of backing out of being stuck to pick a new line. But as long as the salt spray isnt too terrible then I would prefer synthetic.

also if no one mentioned it the weight difference between the two, steel winch line is alot heavier than synthetic winch.
yes and its a big factor with how much weight ai already have going on. It is certainly a factor but my thought was if a synthetic line would break down in a couple short years I could deal with the added weight of cable. But would much prefer the lighter weight of synthetic.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
keeping it clean is unlikely - hence the question. I dont want to have to replace expensive line every couple years. But it will be tucked away so UV wont really be a factor
For weight and safety, synthetic is my choice. Even on the rear, I’d put a cover on it. Even if you need to modify a cover to cover the bottom and front of it, that should be reasonably easy to do. Mine on the front was covered for a year and a half before I removed and inspected it. The winch looked brand new. And I live in a nasty road winter environment for 6 months of the year.

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
possibly? Its going to be a tight fit for sure but I could probably use a thin sheet of aluminum to at least protect the underside of it. Probably a good idea really.

ok good to know. The road spray is my primary concern. With cable I could just soray it down with wd40 every fall. But wasnt sure how that would affect the synthetic line

yeah possibly but i would likely use the rear winch first over the front in terms of backing out of being stuck to pick a new line. But as long as the salt spray isnt too terrible then I would prefer synthetic.

yes and its a big factor with how much weight ai already have going on. It is certainly a factor but my thought was if a synthetic line would break down in a couple short years I could deal with the added weight of cable. But would much prefer the lighter weight of synthetic.
Maybe even bending an old license plate around it may do the trick...

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Want to play the devil here. How many tow trucks you see have synthetic. The same goes with cranes. When you get out of the hobby winches and into the big boy stuff. It's steel.
Sponsored