Sponsored

Worn drag link, replace tie rod or ride it out?

MJRSC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
Felt steering was getting a little loose, turns out its a worn OEM drag link.

Shop said, hey as long as you’re replacing it, think about the tie rod and maybe the sector brace.

‘The truck has been perfect, should I bother with that or save the cash? I guess will I really feel a difference? Wouldn’t I also need to relocate my steering stabilizer (another $)?

Thanks all
Jeep Gladiator Worn drag link, replace tie rod or ride it out? IMG_2320
Sponsored

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
I have no direct experience with high mile JT front ends.

Your tire size looks reasonable. The front end parts on our JTs are huge compared to our segment competitors. By a significant margin. I wouldn’t see any danger in only replacing what’s loose for the time being.

How many miles?

OP
OP
MJRSC

MJRSC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
I have no direct experience with high mile JT front ends.

Your tire size looks reasonable. The front end parts on our JTs are huge compared to our segment competitors. By a significant margin. I wouldn’t see any danger in only replacing what’s loose for the time being.

How many miles?
Appreciate the reply. Low, 9500mi. 37” “light” KO2’s, geo brackets, never even “wheeled” yet.
Shops said they’ve seen worn drag links on nearly brand new ones on stock everything, just a bit of a weak point and known issue.

That’s my thought as well, fix it and keep going until anything else appears as it’s been extremely good to me so far.

kennyglm

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
My draglink was bad at 3000 miles not to big of a deal since the warranty covered it. If it goes bad again i will look into something more heavy duty

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
What does one look for to indicate the drag link is worn? I'm surprised they do bad that easily.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MJRSC

MJRSC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
What does one look for to indicate the drag link is worn? I'm surprised they do bad that easily.
So in my case I felt my steering was a little loose, compared to it feeling spot on previously. Less responsive and maybe a little Vibration that I thought maybe was drive line vibration. It wasn’t.

So under the car with turning the wheel back and forth you can see both ends moving up and down, like the bushing/gasket at each end is worn so there’s slop.

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
If mine wears out I'll be looking at Fusion 4x4 aluminum TR and DL.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Any explanation on why it wore out so fast? I would worry something else is off. That drag link should last just fine with 37” tires. Could be a bad outer end.

I would just replace the drag link outer first. Looks like that can be done sub $100. A proper alignment from a 4wheel specific shop would not be a bad idea.

Mine has lasted 20k+ on the stock link. Over 5” lift. A lot of hard off road miles…

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
I installed a whole suspension and took my JTRD to a local good alignment shop at ~7500 miles. They found the stock passenger-side drag link end with play in it. They said they see it all time with new current gen Jeeps

I'm going to try warrantying it before going aftermarket

OP
OP
MJRSC

MJRSC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
Any explanation on why it wore out so fast? I would worry something else is off. That drag link should last just fine with 37” tires. Could be a bad outer end.

I would just replace the drag link outer first. Looks like that can be done sub $100. A proper alignment from a 4wheel specific shop would not be a bad idea.

Mine has lasted 20k+ on the stock link. Over 5” lift. A lot of hard off road miles…
I think it’s just one of those things that some people get a crap one. It’s pretty common they can fail early. Number of folks commented here with the same experience.

Unfortunately both my ends are worn so I’m getting close to point of just getting a better, and serviceable, one.

Sponsored

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
I think it’s just one of those things that some people get a crap one. It’s pretty common they can fail early. Number of folks commented here with the same experience.

Unfortunately both my ends are worn so I’m getting close to point of just getting a better, and serviceable, one.
Bummer yeah maybe bad batch of them.

OP
OP
MJRSC

MJRSC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
Bummer yeah maybe bad batch of them.
Yup think probably the case. All these cars and trucks have their gremlins. If this is mine, I’ll take it!!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I would do it now just to avoid another trip to the shop.

I started getting some DW so I had my shop check it and the end links were worn out. I already had a solid aluminum tie rod and drag link on order, so it will take care of the end link. While they are doing it I told them to go ahead and replace the ball joints too just to have it all done at once. I have 47k miles And have been running 35s for 20k miles and 37s for about 2k miles.
Sponsored