Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Tests by numerous groups, including GM, Motortrend, and others including tests on Ford, Ram GM and other trucks proved that aftermarket bumpers, wider tires, especially those with a "courser" tread and other factors absolutely impacted not only MPG - but they took trucks over a race course and the top mph was reduced greatly by various factors.
Wonder why newer trucks have a seal between the bed front and back of cab?
Drag............ air was getting in between and increasing the drag, interrupting the air flow along the sides.
I'm not really sure how that relates to a front leveler kit. Would that small amount of lift in the front indude significant drag, on am otherwise stock set-up?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When you "lift" a vehicle away from the road, you do impact not only the height facing the wind directly, but the amount of air going under the truck - drag caused by the steering, suspension and rough underbelly. Will it be noticeable? Meh, probably hard to tell the difference because you can't duplicate things exactly and say "it was caused by THIS for sure" unless you have a wind tunnel in your garage.
Every little thing I did - it was additive. Mine sits 1.25" higher, different bumper, and every thing I change or did, I could see the typical MPG dropping.
And the goofy thing is with any changes - it matters the speed, too. For example, for tonneau covers they found that the SPEED you drove had an impact on the amount of drag change seen by adding or removing a cover, even the TYPE of cover mattered. The soft covers (similar to the stock MOPAR Gladiator soft roll-up cover) saw the most gain in mpg, the biggest drop in drag coefficients - up to 68 mph, compared to hard covers and other types. Above that speed things changed a bit.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
I'd say if you don't off road it a bunch and you tow with it more then absolutely there would be benefits to running stock size tires. Smaller tires are definitely going to allow you to tow more with less strain on the transmission and keep you more in the proper gears. It all comes down to your needs. I had considered going back to 35's on mine but I think I'm just going to throw a set of light weight A/T 37's on because I know people say some of the M/Ts are as quiet as a A/T but I am finding that not to be the case especially once they get a little wear on them. I've been running these Goodyear MTRs and at first it was fine not to bad but after 17,000 miles they have gotten loud. I also rode in my buddies Jeep with Milestar pat MTs on and he's got about 26,000 miles on them and they are no where near as quiet as a BFG KO2. I think sometimes we think look over function and then start rethinking our decisions after the fact.
My MTR’s didn’t get loud until closer to 27000 miles they never got so loud I couldn’t stand it though. Shockingly quite to 27k though

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
My MTR’s didn’t get loud until closer to 27000 miles they never got so loud I couldn’t stand it though. Shockingly quite to 27k though
Mine were super loud, loud to the point that you couldn't have a conversation with the windows down and you would have to crank up the volume inside the jeep on the radio. Not as loud as my old Geolanders M/TS but it was a breath of fresh air when I put the 37 Kanati trail Hogs At-4's on. I can have a conversation now with the doors and top off

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Mine were super loud, loud to the point that you couldn't have a conversation with the windows down and you would have to crank up the volume inside the jeep on the radio. Not as loud as my old Geolanders M/TS but it was a breath of fresh air when I put the 37 Kanati trail Hogs At-4's on. I can have a conversation now with the doors and top off
Interesting. My Kenati mud hogs got loud at 12k and 3 busted belts.

Sponsored

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
@ Jeeperjeramie I was running the mud hogs and MTR’s on a ram 2500HD not sure how much of a difference that makes. Both were 33’s

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
@ Jeeperjeramie I was running the mud hogs and MTR’s on a ram 2500HD not sure how much of a difference that makes. Both were 33’s
Not sure, I'm running trail hogs not mud hogs they are a Hybrid tire. The MTRs we're good tires but loud, I'm not knocking them, but most M/TS are loud. I'm saying they are much louder than a A/T, any A/T l, but that can go for any M/T. I know a bunch of people running Kanati's and love them. I've always wanted to run a set of the Kanati's and found a set for a $1000 so I jumped on them. I got right at 18,000 miles on them and they haven't worn but 2/10th tread off so I feel like I can get close to 50,000 out of them maybe more
Sponsored