Sponsored

37s and drivetrain reliability - is it worth it?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
You summarized the whole thing.
And IMO, if you have brake fade, diagnose the driver first.

That's where a stick, or manual mode of the automatic comes in.

Not the same thing, but sort of related -coming back down Pike's Peak, I used the transmission's manual mode. I hardly touched the brake pedal. If you've been there you know the point where they stop you and take brake temperature - mine were hardly warm. I only feathered the brakes to tweak speed coming down when someone wasn't where they should be coming up around a tight turn and I had to fast compensate for them.

Maybe it's why I have never had to change brake pads (or shoes decades ago). My brakes last.
I know the spot. Right by the restaurant, on your right as you come down.
My brakes, too, werenā€™t even warm.

the transmission did its job.

was funny, in a bad way, the folks that had to wait a while. Was scary watching people with their brake lights on almost the whole way.
Sponsored

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
I read somewhere that 4.88 is stronger than 5.13. Wouldn't that be better for towing? Having stronger gear and all.
Not to argue with anyone, I had the same concerns, I talk to the folks at Dana Spicer. They told me for are Dana 44 axles (Rubicon) the 5.13 are just a strong as the 4.88ā€™s. That I would not have problems running those gears on 37ā€™s. Have an appointment to have these Installed next week.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I know the spot. Right by the restaurant, on your right as you come down.
My brakes, too, werenā€™t even warm.

the transmission did its job.

was funny, in a bad way, the folks that had to wait a while. Was scary watching people with their brake lights on almost the whole way.
Glazed brakes, hot rotors, not good.
Yes, you know the exact spot. LOL - plenty of parking! I was thinking myself those people are going to have to park.

Sonoran_Mohavey

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Real Estate Development
Glazed brakes, hot rotors, not good.
Yes, you know the exact spot. LOL - plenty of parking! I was thinking myself those people are going to have to park.
i always get nervous about other drivers coming down pikes peak. Especially out of state drivers who are not familiar with the road AND are focused on sight seeing

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
i always get nervous about other drivers coming down pikes peak. Especially out of state drivers who are not familiar with the road AND are focused on sight seeing
My wife kept saying "look at that" or "that's cool" or "I want a picture". I just said - take a picture, I'll drive........

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
392 JL on 37s which I believe has the same brakes as the JT upgraded with APB front brakes
Shows a decent improvement especially when you consider it is not highway speed. He also has a second video which reduces the stopping distance further by adding APBā€™s rear kit.
Sponsored