worth it to go back?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
i’m already researching what’s tire to get next in the same size since the ones I have on are two years old but with low mileage. I’m no tire expert but I’d like to think a two-year old tire is more likely to dry out even at low mileage than a brand new tire. So I may end up with even more new rubber here at some point.
I believe the, “Experts,” say 7 years is a tire’s life.

Kevin
Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I believe the, “Experts,” say 7 years is a tire’s life.

Kevin
7 years is our magic number. We recap up to 7 years old, and pull them off a bus at 10.
On a personal vehicle, if it has been out of the sun where the UV can't get it 10-12 years with good visual inspection.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
7 years is our magic number. We recap up to 7 years old, and pull them off a bus at 10.
On a personal vehicle, if it has been out of the sun where the UV can't get it 10-12 years with good visual inspection.
What would you say is an early warning sign of a shorter life span? The tires i got where owned by a fellas who lives near the beach so they saw a lot of salt air

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Look for cracks in the valleys between the treads and on the sidewalls.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Well fellas, the deed is done.

19E09455-7518-4263-82F9-36C1FF1AAE62.jpeg

tested it and tpms are all working. First thing i noticed…my turning radius is back to what it used to be!

found a phenomenal deal. 4 tires w/3k miles on them and tpms sensors still in. $250

i also snagged some 17in black steel jeep oem rims for $200. Incase I decide not to use the rubi take off rims i had on before.
That's a good deal for a set of black steelies, yours would look great with those on it. I love mine that came on my Max Tow. Also a good for a set of tires and wheels and that's a cheap way to fine out if that's what you want it do. I wasted about 3 or 4 thousand in tires on my JKU before I ended up on 35 inch BFG KO2S after trying out some M/Ts and A/Ts on it in different sizes. It really doesn't look that bad with stock ones on there and if it performs better then that's plus. If I towed more with mine I wouldn't be on 37's I can promise you that. Tires 100% make a huge impact on how a truck pulls a load down the road.

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Salt air won't affect tires much, it's the sun's UV that kills them environmentally. Bad belts etc. you can't see.
Are they new-ish? What's the date code?

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Salt air won't affect tires much, it's the sun's UV that kills them environmentally. Bad belts etc. you can't see.
Are they new-ish? What's the date code?
The seller listed them as having only had a few thousand miles on them but I know they were about two years old from his date of purchase. Which I figured out just from talking jeep talk with him before we did the actual transaction for the tires… Is there somewhere I can look on them for that code because that’s all new information for me!?

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Can somebody with a scanner tool take a look at what their OEM tire size is? I reset mine to 31.5 with the Jscan App… Then I tested my speed with a GPS app after the calibration and it matches all the way up to 65 where I’m maybe a half a mile to 1 mph faster according to the GPS then the jeeps speedometer.

I only ask because I usually get 17 to 19 on my trip into work and today’s the second day that I’m averaging 20 to 24… Which just seems like an ass and I only hi increase in miles per gallon game for

my trip reader since putting the tires on yesterday, after I did the speed verificatio
Jeep Gladiator worth it to go back? 6D199D48-A3BF-43A4-8DA7-49F6C40296AB

And this is my speedometer today on my way in
Jeep Gladiator worth it to go back? 10F3C9F3-6457-403B-9364-F93F06703081

tcass

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
I cant get the idea of going back to stock tires out of my head...Am i just dumb to think this would be worth it?

I keep reading on here, and other places, that the stock tire sizes are best for towing since they maintain the power for the max town and dont add any extra weight or anything. And, after looking at pictures, they dont look awful with the 2in lift and stock tires...

Am i way off here or would there be a benefit to going back to stock tire size?
have a set of 5 stock 2019 Jeep JL tires and rims......lol

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I'm doing a dual-sport setup that drives great on the street and does well off road. I have thought about having two sets of wheels/tires. One would be 35's and 17's for off road, but be able to switch to some high altitude (so still oem) 20's and get a nice performance street tire for spirited street driving

so for your setup, maybe some high altitude oem wheels and a good towing street tire would look pretty cool and function the best

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
The seller listed them as having only had a few thousand miles on them but I know they were about two years old from his date of purchase. Which I figured out just from talking jeep talk with him before we did the actual transaction for the tires… Is there somewhere I can look on them for that code because that’s all new information for me!?
Tire Date Code.jpg

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
So a google search of "how does tire size effect towing" gave me this response

" Bigger tires do affect a vehicle's towing capacity. Larger tires transmit less torque, which gives the truck less power, allowing less weight to be towed. The towing capacity is reduced by the same percentage of the increased tire diameter. "

Which is interesting to say the least...

According to the tire size calc its a %7 difference. With the max tow I have 7,650lbs stock.

7650*0.07 = 536lbs (rounded up) of difference with the tire size alone.

Im having a hard time finding the tire weight, and other specs, on the duelers

but the geolanders I have are (from the yokohama website)
load range E
61lbs each
3195lbs load @ 80 PSI
Math makes a lot of sense there. Rubicon is at a 7k tow which falls in line exactly with the difference of moving up to 33s. I always thought it was the payload that crippled the rubicon not the tires.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Math makes a lot of sense there. Rubicon is at a 7k tow which falls in line exactly with the difference of moving up to 33s. I always thought it was the payload that crippled the rubicon not the tires.
I think the payload is lower on the rubi because of the steel bumpers / skids. At least thats what ive read. I have a steel from bumper sitting at home but im sitting on that until I can find weights to see what the impact on my payload will be.

As it stands moving back to 34lbs tires gave me back 108lbs of payload, not to include the better MPG and torque with the smaller diameter tires. Now 108lbs isnt really a LOT, but what it does for me is to increase my buffer and margin of error for camping.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I think the payload is lower on the rubi because of the steel bumpers / skids. At least thats what ive read. I have a steel from bumper sitting at home but im sitting on that until I can find weights to see what the impact on my payload will be.

As it stands moving back to 34lbs tires gave me back 108lbs of payload, not to include the better MPG and torque with the smaller diameter tires. Now 108lbs isnt really a LOT, but what it does for me is to increase my buffer and margin of error for camping.
Yep, and then further more crippled because people tend to get more features on them than a sport. Steel bumpers can be almost nothing or kill the payload. My RR Arcus is pretty much just a winch plate with a shell, some of those full width ones add some serious weight though.

Really curious to see if you notice a big difference when you tow.
Sponsored