First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 97 TJ 4.0,
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone installed a solar panel on their Gladiator? Do you like it? Does it look like a tumor on your hood? I’m considering installing one to help run a 12v fridge we use, just wanted some feedback.
Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have 2 100W flexible panels mounted on my roof. I considered the hood style panels but they really aren’t big enough to run my fridge.
Jeep Gladiator Solar panels 14_NewSolarPlatform_6

You really need to consider that
a) the panel can’t really just hook directly to your fridge; you need a battery between the two
b) look at what the fridge is rated for power use and size by that. My fridge will pull 24aH over the course of the day so you need some storage capacity (the battery) to run it when the solar is not generating power (at night) which means, in my case, my solar panels need to be capable of generating that 24aH in the hours where good, direct sun is available. My panels generate -10a with good sunlight.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
I am looking at the same thing for the top of my Rebel Offroad XPLOR rack. I am looking at running two of the Renogy 175 Watt 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panels along with one of their DC to DC chargers and a small batter mounted under the bed.

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have two 100w Renogy panels that I either mount to my roof or bed rack, depending on what I'm doing. They're wired to a Renogy charge controller that's mounted in the engine bay. Last summer I took a trip through Utah and the charge controller understandably overheated, and only worked after it had time to cool. That was fine because I was parked.

It's unlikely you'll get what the solar panels are rated for. I use them to run my Dometic fridge and charge camera batteries. Even on a cloudy day I get sufficient angry pixies. Cheaper panels will have severely reduced output if even a little shade because they likely don't have bypass diodes.
Jeep Gladiator Solar panels DSC01179

Jeep Gladiator Solar panels 20221022_100336
Jeep Gladiator Solar panels DSC02484

Sponsored

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
The hood panels are not powerful enough, just good enough to trickle charge your main.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
When all said and done my solar setup will be 2X100ah Renogy LifePo4 batteries, 4 100watt panels 40a mppt controller and the Blue Sea System 8 position panel with dual USB outlets, cigarette lighter style plug and a battery tender to tell how much juice I have left. Two panels will be mounted on top of camper two will be made into a solar suitcase. Mounted ones will be charging going down the road. Get to camp and deploy the other two for 400 watts total.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’ve never used solar panels in the field where I didn’t have to reposition them. You’ll loose wattage if the sun isn’t directly overhead. You can compensate by using really high quality and big panels with the cost that entails.

Personally I’d never mount panels. I’ve got two cheap Chinese (almost all panels are just rebranded cheap Chinese panels) “100W” folding panels each putting out 50-85W consistently which is more than enough to keep my GZ topped off when running the fridge. I paid less than $200 for them.

Bluedog

First Name
Laurie Andersen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G
Occupation
Senior Mechanic
I have one of the bougerv solar panel on my Gladiator. They put out the specified power and installed easily with some z brackets. I have a mix of Renogy, HQST, and BougeRV panels in my solar array. I am quite pleased. The panels have been installed for a few months now and have no issues.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They put out the specified power
If they are doing that then they are not marketing them like almost all of the other solar panels out there.
In almost any case, if they say 100 watts, you may get 80-90 watts on a great day.
The ratings are taken under temperature controlled conditions with the panel aimed at a perfect 90 degrees to the sun on a very clear day. That means that 100 watts is hard to get unless you aim the panel quite well and it's a very clear day with no fires in Canada.

Seems like some companies, like the maker of the 50 watt panel I have, is more conservative with their ratings and doesn't have a need for the fine print that they never print.

GOOD panels done well, mounted to stay cool, etc. are fine. it's just that there's such a huge mix of good and bad, your odds aren't great of getting what they claim.

I am not questioning what you say - just wondering how you are measuring the output - what is your source. Just curious, not trying to claim you are wrong or anything. I am interested in how people measure their own solar device output.

Sponsored

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
I have two 100w Renogy panels that I either mount to my roof or bed rack, depending on what I'm doing. They're wired to a Renogy charge controller that's mounted in the engine bay. Last summer I took a trip through Utah and the charge controller understandably overheated, and only worked after it had time to cool. That was fine because I was parked.

It's unlikely you'll get what the solar panels are rated for. I use them to run my Dometic fridge and charge camera batteries. Even on a cloudy day I get sufficient angry pixies. Cheaper panels will have severely reduced output if even a little shade because they likely don't have bypass diodes.

Have you seen the BougeRV CIGS panels?

https://www.bougerv.com/products/yuma-100w-cigs-flexible-solar-panel-with-holes

AngelaD

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Petrol
I would like bring your attention at Pacron solar energy and storage system if you are looking for renewable energy methods, I have recently installed some on my roof top to power up my home completely from solar power, if you wanna do the same use Pecron promo codes and save.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
I’ve often wondered why people don’t use 3 panels on their hard tonneau covers, but then again most people who use solar panels use them for overlanding stuff and have bed racks in the way.
Sponsored