Sponsored

Your steering is not loose. Rant warning.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I am thoroughly confused. I have a new (145 miles July 2020 Build date) JT. It has an aluminum steering box. In the few miles I have driven it, the steering doesnt feel loose nor does it wander nor pull. It feels the same as my 2016 JK. Do I need to return it for the steel steering box replacement? Is it just a matter of time before I start having problems? Even if I am not having issues should I demand the replacement before I start adding lift, tires, etc?
Sponsored

Cdemarac

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I haven't been proven wrong yet.
Show me a chalk test, 1/8th toe in,(using a tape measure not an alignment machine), and caster set between 6 and 7 deg on the driver side and if it's still loose I'll concede.

Lots of complaints but no one else is attempting to help fix this shit.
Yep I’m sure jeep said let’s make a TSB replace a shit ton of gear boxes and pay for the labor. Instead of checking for tire pressure and alignment.

Whats your excuse for the vehicles you can see the box moving away from the frame??

Whats your excuse for the vehicles you can see no movement of the sector shaft for a decent turn of the steering wheel??

Cdemarac

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Also to be clear, when the TSB was announced to prove him wrong, he made another mistake asking for this to be deleted because it "DERAILED" and/or proved him wrong.

Own the mistake, take the lumps, move on.
This is 2020 why would anyone do that? It’s easier to take the cowards way out and just try and delete it.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I'm sorry but you are wrong. I drove a Sport S Max Tow owned by a close relation of mine on a multi-state trip and the steering was definitely loose. No doubt about it. Period. The steering box on that JT is either faulty or not adjust correctly. How can I say for sure? I own a Rubicon that drives normally. I've driven both normal and afflicted JTs fairly extensively and the ones with a problem have a much bigger problem than incorrect tire pressure.

That is all I have to say on the matter. Carry on.

Skinny tires, too much pressure.

When i bought my max tow it had 55 lbs of pressure in the tires... 55lbs!! Yes, the steering was sketchy as hell. I kept thinking something was seriously wrong with the Gladiator right after purchase. When I bought my JT I test drove it on a few local streets near the dealership , nothing over 45 mph. I drove home on back roads and one hwy max speed of about 55 mph. The next day I drove 35 miles on the interstate at 70 mph to work and thought I was loosing my mind. The Jeep was all over the place. Driving home I thought about going back to dealer the next am, but then I checked the tire pressure. I aired down the tires to 35lbs and no more issues. Never another wandering issue since (20,000 miles)lowering the tire pressure.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I reported this thread to the moderator and I believe he has now banned himself.

MPStans

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I just looked my date of build is 3-20. Do I need to take her in?

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Skinny tires, too much pressure.

When i bought my max tow it had 55 lbs of pressure in the tires... 55lbs!! Yes, the steering was sketchy as hell. I kept thinking something was seriously wrong with the Gladiator right after purchase. When I bought my JT I test drove it on a few local streets near the dealership , nothing over 45 mph. I drove home on back roads and one hwy max speed of about 55 mph. The next day I drove 35 miles on the interstate at 70 mph to work and thought I was loosing my mind. The Jeep was all over the place. Driving home I thought about going back to dealer the next am, but then I checked the tire pressure. I aired down the tires to 35lbs and no more issues. Never another wandering issue since (20,000 miles)lowering the tire pressure.
Are we really doing this again? FCA has issued a TSB for the steering issue. What more validation do you need?

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I am thoroughly confused. I have a new (145 miles July 2020 Build date) JT. It has an aluminum steering box. In the few miles I have driven it, the steering doesnt feel loose nor does it wander nor pull. It feels the same as my 2016 JK. Do I need to return it for the steel steering box replacement? Is it just a matter of time before I start having problems? Even if I am not having issues should I demand the replacement before I start adding lift, tires, etc?
What day of month was it made? On door sticker it shows MDH #(month, date, hour).

Sponsored

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I’ll double check but iirc it was 20 July. Why do you ask?
I'm trying to determine when or even if they made any 2020s with the steel box(been confirmed on here that the 2021 is steel) as I am looking to buy one. I'd simply wait til the 2021s are on the lots but want gobi or gator. Since yours is aluminum I'd know it would at least be after that date. Hope that makes sense.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I'm trying to determine when or even if they made any 2020s with the steel box(been confirmed on here that the 2021 is steel) as I am looking to buy one. I'd simply wait til the 2021s are on the lots but want gobi or gator. Since yours is aluminum I'd know it would at least be after that date. Hope that makes sense.
Makes sense. With a late July production date, I don’t think you will find many Gator JTs built after it.

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Makes sense. With a late July production date, I don’t think you will find many Gator JTs built after it.
There is a gobi in transit to GA(last load of 2020s), and another on a lot an hour and half form me. I could try to get the salesmen to give it a look, but had rather have better proof before wasting my time.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Are we really doing this again? FCA has issued a TSB for the steering issue. What more validation do you need?
Just saying check new JT tire pressure first

Reactions: Tim