Sponsored

Your thoughts on the 6 speed manual in the Gladiator?

mark walk

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 mojave
Occupation
retired
give me your thoughts on the 6 speed mt in the gladiator
Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Don’t do it.

Sponsored

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
LOVE mine, BUT the clutch sucks. Fly wheel is way too light for a truck, it's like a track car and can be stupid easy to stall. This will be my fisrt major upgrade once I can afford it. Center Force clutch. Another forum member did a write up, before and after.

Shifts fantastic, not the best gearing over 4th for the engine torque curve but something you learn to deal with. I HATE automatics so the manual was a must for me. I was hesitant on going to the JT since I have had many Tacoma's. Once I found one to test drive with the M/T I was sold.

Also, offroad 4LO, 3rd gear seems to be the sweet spot. Unlike an auto it stays where you want it.

Do note, mine is the Rubicon so 4.10 gears, not sure how the other models with 3.73 would be.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Love it. No issues with clutch or flywheel on or off-road, but coming from other vehicles with dual mass and lightweight flywheels, I was fairly accustomed to the experience already. Absolutely 0 regrets. Just finished a good half day off-road outing with a few members on the board. Mine has the 4.1 gearing (Rubicon). I might feel differently if I had the 3.73s on the sports, especially since I run 35s.

Most of the time. I drive it like a 5 speed though. 6th is not really useful except on empty flat roads, where you can maintain speed. It's useless up hills or in traffic when you need to slow down/speed up a lot. And it's useless below about 70 now on 35s, and about 65 stock, even in perfect conditions. But, no big deal, I still get gas mileage comparable with the automatic rubicons (the gas ones anyway). I just use 5th until I hit a long flat stretch, 4th for uphill, 3rd for "power".

Last edited:

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I write this as someone who only owned manual transmission cars up until I moved to the Boston area.

The Jeeps AT is a great transmission. Its smooth and seems to anticipate my needs well.

The MT is
1) damned with a weak clutch that has had service issues and depends on software to limit engine torque to prevent it from getting hot and catching fire.
2) Crippled as a tow vehicle with a max tow weight of roughly 4000 lbs vs 6000 to 7000 lbs for AT versions of the same model.
3) has a wonky clutch. I haven't driven one in a while, so I dont remember the problem. But I remember I didn't like it.
4) has a shifter with long vague rubbery throws.

If you enjoy driving a MT dump truck, then go for it. But its not at all like driving the 6 speed Miata, Audi, or Subaru STI that I've owned in the past.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
If you're expecting a sports car you'll be disappointed. If you're familiar with how manual trucks feel, you'll be pleased.

The throws are medium-long and the clutch engage point is sub-optimal, but the pedal spacing is fantastic (heel toes very easily) and the shift action feels very directed and solid. Guy above me said long vague rubbery throws... well I agree with long, but not vague or rubbery.

Final point, the 4wd selector does make the shifter placement not as good as it could be, but if youve only looked at pictures, it's not as bad to drive as it looks.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I write this as someone who only owned manual transmission cars up until I moved to the Boston area.

The Jeeps AT is a great transmission. Its smooth and seems to anticipate my needs well.

The MT is
1) damned with a weak clutch that has had service issues and depends on software to limit engine torque to prevent it from getting hot.
2) Crippled as a tow vehicle with a max tow weight of roughly 4000 lbs vs 6000 to 7000 lbs for AT versions of the same model.
3) has a wonky clutch. I haven't driven one in a while, so I dont remember the problem. But I remember I didn't like it.
4) has a shifter with long vague rubbery throws.

If you enjoy driving a MT dump truck, then go for it. But its not at all like driving the 6 speed Miata, Audi, or Subaru STI that I've owned in the past.
I've had two Subaru STIs, a BRZ, a WRX a GLI, a GTI, challenger, a couple of jeeps. Etc. Anyway, this is one area where I respectfully disagree. The shifter is great, I actually think the shifter itself is an area where jeep did an excellent job. The clutch: it's weak/soft. But it tows 4500. I don't need to tow more than that. If you do, don't get the Mt obviously.
The clutch does just fine though. For what it's for and what it does. Great finesse off-road in low range.

My complaints: 3rd gear and up are too long. It's geared like a 5 speed. No biggie though. I might re-gear in the future.

Now, I've named several sporty/sports cars and some jeeps I've had before. This is my favorite vehicle, by far, bar none, that I've ever owned. And the MT is part of the reason why. I'm a year in/19000 miles and several off road and on road trips in so far. Still loving it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had two Subaru STIs, a BRZ, a WRX a GLI, a GTI, challenger, a couple of jeeps. Etc. Anyway, this is one are where I respectfully disagree. The shifter is great, I actually think the shifter itself is an area where jeep did an excellent jobtbe clutch: it's weak/soft. But it tows 4500. I don't need to tow more than that. If you do, don't get the Mt obviously.
The clutch does just fine though. For what it's for and what it does. Great finesse off-road in low range.

My complaints: 3rd gear and up are two long. It's geared like a 5 speed. No biggie though. I might re-gear in the future.

Now, I've named several sporty/sports cars and some jeeps I've had before. This is my favorite vehicle, by far, bar none, that I've ever owned. And the MT is part of the reason why. I'm a year in/19000 miles and several off road and on road trips in so far. Still loving it.
You and I often agree. And we respectfully disagree here.

So I think that really makes the point that the OP needs to go drive one.

That and consider their towing needs.