YouTube vs. Reality

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I know it's not really the point you're making, but is there a reason that guy's channel name is treated like a swear word around here? I mentioned it in a post once, and I saw that the forum automatically deleted what I had typed.
There is a reason but I can't claim to know the entire back story.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I am in the same boat. Except I dont get distracted when walking into HD. I normally buy the wrong thing, or cobination of things and then have to make 2 or more trips to get the correct thing.

Fstduc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon; 1941/42 Ford GPW
Occupation
Engineer
Awesome! That said, I would have broken half the clips in 1.1 and there would be a whole 'nother round of Amazon/dealership there.

Sponsored

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
I am in the same boat. Except I dont get distracted when walking into HD. I normally buy the wrong thing, or cobination of things and then have to make 2 or more trips to get the correct thing.
I’m extremely proud of the fact that I’ve never murdered anyone with my bare hands, in public despite that whenever I ask an “associate” at Lowes or Home Depot something like “where are the stainless steel metric machine screws” I get the same response of “Well, what are you trying to do?”

In lieu of responding with extreme physical violence I just tell them “I’m building a bomb, but I’m French, so I want to do it in metric.”

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
whenever I ask an “associate” at Lowes or Home Depot something like “where are the stainless steel metric machine screws” I get the same response of “Well, what are you trying to do?”
That's odd - here, all they do is point, or say "aisle 1" or walk me over to the area and ask what sizes I need, and point when I tell them...........
I have to use stainless with my plating equipment or it gets eaten up in short order.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Upgrades on YouTube:
1. Remove these pop clips.
2. Unscrew these bolts.
3. Disconnect the wiring harness.
4. Pull off the old.
5. Put on the new.
6. Reconnect the wiring.
7. Snug up the new bolts.
8. Put in the pop clips.
9. SMASH LIKE AND SUBSCRIIIBE!

Me Doing the Same Upgrade:
1.1.How the heck do you get pop clips out without screwing up the plastic trim around them? Dammit!
1.2. Why do I need 13 fingers to disconnect this wiring harness? And WHY ARE THEY ALL DIFFERENT!?
2. WHO PUT THESE BOLTS ON, THOR!? GODDAMN!
3. Ok, the bolts are off. Why the hell isn't this thing coming off?
4. YouTube: How to do the most basic shit when you're an idiot.
5. Ok, take a deep breath, try again... *strains to the point of flatulence* FINALLY! Why was that so damn hard!?
6. Wait, what the hell are those? The Extreme Terrain video didn't mention those! ... Do I need them? ... I do. F*CK!
7. Order missing piece from Quadratec because FU Extreme Terrain for not telling me about a piece I needed.
8. Wait three days for the Quadratec order to show up...
9. Ok, back to business... wait, what the hell? I ordered 8 and they sent me 17!? I... I don't have the energy for this right now...
10. Ok, well I got my eight that I needed. ... WHY DON'T THESE THINGS GO ON LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO!? UGH!
11. Ok, I think I'm ready to put the new piece on after 3+ days of waiting and prep work. ... Why. Won't. It. Go. On??? Oh look, Jeep half-assed the bolt holes, and the new piece won't go in where the old one did. I guess I'll just... F*CK I don't have a metal file.
12.1. Go to Home Depot at 6am for a quick pickup, and back to work.
12.2. Oooh those are some cool mechanics gloves. That would've been nice when I gashed my hand open earlier trying to unThor those fucking bolts.
12.3. Hmm, oh cool, what's down this aisle!?... (45 minutes later)...
13. Fix Jeep's shoddy workmanship for an hour.
14. Put the new piece on, and exhale days worth of pent up anger and frustration.
15. Oh come on, I forgot to put that other thing back on first!? Why am I like this...
16. Undo everything and redo it correctly.
17. Repeat 14 without the idiocy.
18. Tighten shit up.
19. Step back to admire your work.
20. Hmm, it barely looks any different. That hardly seemed worth it.

I kid, of course. I just laugh that upgrades never quite go as smoothly as they do on YouTube. I'm learning though! 😁

Also, huge shout out to Jeep for putting red fucking Loctite on bumper bolts that don't even go into anything! 🖕
And all this time I thought I was the only one… 😁

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I’m extremely proud of the fact that I’ve never murdered anyone with my bare hands, in public despite that whenever I ask an “associate” at Lowes or Home Depot something like “where are the stainless steel metric machine screws” I get the same response of “Well, what are you trying to do?”

In lieu of responding with extreme physical violence I just tell them “I’m building a bomb, but I’m French, so I want to do it in metric.”
I have to find a new place to bury the dead bodies. They pile up quick sometimes. I've been known to throw a tool a time or 3. If you're in the way. Tough luck. You're just another dead body that I have to deal with later.

When I retired the first time. I worked for Home Depot for a few years. They ARE trained to ask those questions. Some of the people that came in asking questions. I could write a book.

Sponsored

Slyboots2313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
There is a reason but I can't claim to know the entire back story.
We talking about the guy w his own forum, that has a particular Way of Living? Otherwise I’m lost (like most times in life)

Reactions: Tim

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
We talking about the guy w his own forum, that has a particular Way of Living? Otherwise I’m lost (like most times in life)
yea, I've had the same question. He's a bit quirky in his videos but they have gotten me through a few projects. I've always been curious why he's hated here.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
yea, I've had the same question. He's a bit quirky in his videos but they have gotten me through a few projects. I've always been curious why he's hated here.
I missed something. Who is this celeb?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Using "celeb" and Youtube in the same paragraph is like using aerodynamic and Gladiator in the same paragraph.
Sponsored