Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S (FULL PULL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Response Manager
Yesterday I took the doors off as we are expecting to have a rare clear sky's for a full week here in Houston.

This morning, when I tried to start my Gladiator, it did something funny. It went through the motions of turning on, that is, everything except the engine. Then, it took the weirdness to a new level as when I tried to turn it off, it stated that I must be in park, but I was. all the lights on the floor shifter were illuminated.

I unplugged the battery and later in the day I finally managed to get it jump started. But now the check engine light is on and the start stop light is displaying on the top right.

The truck starts right up now but I have no idea why it would have done this in the first place. It's just over a year old with low miles and the original battery. And while I would typically use such an event as an excuse to run off and get an Optima battery, I would much rather know there is nothing wrong with my truck.

it does get humid here, could that have something to do with it (exposed)? My JK used to go months topless with no errors.

I've added a lot of aftermarket accessories, is there a means of seeing if there is a drain when the engine is off? Did I cross some wire somewhere?

added a second pic because it's so damn sexy, you can all understand my frustration.

Jeep Gladiator I need theories. 20220912_204826

Jeep Gladiator I need theories. 20220910_171007
Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
The dreaded death of the Aux battery.
Pull fuse F42 until you can get it fixed.
If it's out of warranty jump into the batteries section and start reading for options.
You can replace, delete, upgrade as whatever best fits your needs.

OP
OP
Edub

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The dreaded death of the Aux battery.
Pull fuse F42 until you can get it fixed.
If it's out of warranty jump into the batteries section and start reading for options.
You can replace, delete, upgrade as whatever best fits your needs.

Thanks for pointing me int he right direction. Is that second battery typically covered under warranty?

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
If you do decide to delete or replace on your own, there are two ways to get to it.
One is to remove the fuse box and go in from the top side. Another is to pull the fender liner and go from underneath.
There are videos on YouTube covering both methods.

Sponsored

same_O_G

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave; 2008 JKU (RIP)
Agreed - definitely a battery-related issue. But that's not a theory.

Here's a theory for you: Bigfoot is real and is being protected by indigenous Amazonian tribes. This is why they have resisted modernization and Western influence.

OP
OP
Edub

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
If you do decide to delete or replace on your own, there are two ways to get to it.
One is to remove the fuse box and go in from the top side. Another is to pull the fender liner and go from underneath.
There are videos on YouTube covering both methods.
I was just watching a few of them, looks like going through the fender is easier by far. Nevertheless, I think I'll let the warranty fix it this time, might as well.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday I took the doors off as we are expecting to have a rare clear sky's for a full week here in Houston.

This morning, when I tried to start my Gladiator, it did something funny. It went through the motions of turning on, that is, everything except the engine. Then, it took the weirdness to a new level as when I tried to turn it off, it stated that I must be in park, but I was. all the lights on the floor shifter were illuminated.

I unplugged the battery and later in the day I finally managed to get it jump started. But now the check engine light is on and the start stop light is displaying on the top right.

The truck starts right up now but I have no idea why it would have done this in the first place. It's just over a year old with low miles and the original battery. And while I would typically use such an event as an excuse to run off and get an Optima battery, I would much rather know there is nothing wrong with my truck.

it does get humid here, could that have something to do with it (exposed)? My JK used to go months topless with no errors.

I've added a lot of aftermarket accessories, is there a means of seeing if there is a drain when the engine is off? Did I cross some wire somewhere?

added a second pic because it's so damn sexy, you can all understand my frustration.

Check for bent pins in the door connectors.

There is a constant drain from the computers and alarm system. Also from the head unit, if you have the 8.4 Uconnect.

It could be a failing battery, either the main or the ess battery, or both. If the truck is not driven regularly, it is more likely discharged batteries.

Depending on how good your dealer is, you may get resistance on warranty replacement. If the batteries don't fail on their tester, they can only charge them up and send you on your way.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
Nice truck ,I would say batteries bitch until they replace both.
I would not leave the dealer until I seen them replace both.
My theory to them was that I always pushed the button after starting the vehicle.
If one was dead then the power was being drained from the good battery shortening its life.

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Depending on how good your dealer is, you may get resistance on warranty replacement. If the batteries don't fail on their tester, they can only charge them up and send you on your way.
+1 on this

I just had my 2 year old batteries fail out on a week of overlanding. Tried to start one morning after being stopped for a couple days and had all the typical dash lights and warnings indicating this failure. My jump battery pack did not have enough pop to get it started so a buddy took me into the nearest town. Replacing the main battery got me going and then I bought the auxiliary battery at my home dealership a few days later.

Now here's where the "+1" comes in. Since my vehicle is still under warranty, I went back to my dealer to try and recoup some money on the batteries and they said exactly what Mr. Bill said. Unless they hook it up to their machine and try to charge it/get error codes/etc., they will not do anything to help with warranty claim. I'm now working with FCA Customer Care to see if I can get any money back.

In trying to be positive, even if I don't recover any money I know that I have 2 batteries with 3 year warranties that I can walk into any AutoZone and have replaced no questions asked (actually only the main at AutoZone and the auxiliary? Well keep reading).

Now just a "side rant" on the state of customer service/care in the world today. Places like AutoZone may have their issues (and that's not my point here) but I have yet to ever bring a battery back to them that was under warranty that they didn't replace with no questions asked. They simply looked it up in computer under my name, saw that it was within the 3 years, and walked in the back to fetch my new battery. In stark contrast, I spend a day of my life at the local dealership with them allowing me to spend $50,000 on one of their vehicles only to have them not be willing to stand behind their product. Here's what really drives me bonkers about it: I have spent probably 3 hours total trying to get some resolution on this battery that by all rights is under warranty and I'm still navigating the runaround. However, when I bought the auxiliary battery from the same dealership, the guy at the parts counter (less than 50 feet from the service counter) says "Now just throw that receipt in your glovebox because that battery has a 3 year warranty and if it fails, just bring that paper into any dealership and you'll get it replaced for free". You would think by that tenet that I should be able to walk into any dealership with the purchase contract of my new vehicle and get the same response (for a warrantied part that came installed on the vehicle) without the rigamarole of "Well we have to hook it up to our tester...blah blah blah."

Rant over...move along...nothing to see here (especially any customer service)...

Okay, now it really is over.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
I think its the dealers some bad , some great.
I have bought my last five jeeps from the same dealer or they know that it would not be beyond me from driving it through their show room.
My replacement list so far under warranty - steering box, drive shaft, ds turn signal housing,ds auto lock, entertainment center ,brakes, calipers, rotors , valve cover gaskets, ds inner fender , both batteries , have not addressed yet - rear window leaks, paint bubbling on edge of hood . I LOVE THIS TRUCK

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I think its the dealers some bad , some great.
I don't disagree with this statement. I have had no issues with the 3 Jeeps I've bought from this very same dealer when it came to warranty replacements that THEY performed. Easy Peasy.

But when I am broke down in the middle of nowhere and can get going again by something as simple as swapping out the battery, I'm not willing to spend $1000's of dollars to get a tow to their shop so they can hook it up to the computer.

All I'm saying is that there is customer service and there is customer service. Replaced the battery on the wife's Wrangler 2 months ago. Previously had installed a battery bought from AutoZone, so when I brought their battery back, they looked it up and said "oh yeah, you still have 10 months left on the warranty. Let me go get you a replacement..."

When Alu-Cab sent a replacement door for my canopy and it arrived a little bent in shipping, they said send a pic. I did, and they sent a new door. They didn't even question how it was damaged. For all they know I damaged it taking it out of the box or when installing it. (It genuinely was damaged in shipping...). My wife orders shoes from Zappos, doesn't like them, sends them back. Amazon delivers to the wrong door, I call them, they resend the item.

I can understand a Jeep dealership challenging me if I say "I had to do a roadside swap of my entire rear axle and I'd like my money back please". But when the guy at the parts counter hands me a battery and says if it fails in 3 years, bring it back for a free replacement then why doesn't it work the same way for that part, at the service desk...

Now here's another in the causal chain of my rant(s). I had a 1 year old TPMS sensor fail (out in the wide world not near my dealership) and had it replaced. I went to this very same dealership with failed original sensor in hand, they tested it and then reimbursed me, but they weren't willing to do that with the batteries. I guess the inconsistency there gets me.

@Edub sorry for the highjack of the thread. The previous posters are right though. If you are getting warnings like Auto Start/Stop not available, the little amber circled "A!", or even "Aux Switches temporarily unavailable, batteries charging" then you have probably lost the auxiliary battery and it will soon drag down the starter battery. Get them addressed ASAP because those warnings only last a week or so.

Last edited:

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Agreed - definitely a battery-related issue. But that's not a theory.

Here's a theory for you: Bigfoot is real and is being protected by indigenous Amazonian tribes. This is why they have resisted modernization and Western influence.
Agree, agree - battery issues.
However, Big foot is actually a inter dimension creature that travels to this dimension at will. That’s why no bones or dead big feet have been found. None have ever died while visiting this dimension.
How’s that for a theory?

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Agree, agree - battery issues.
However, Big foot is actually a inter dimension creature that travels to this dimension at will. That’s why no bones or dead big feet have been found. None have ever died while visiting this dimension.
How’s that for a theory?
That's not a theory. It's FACT!!
Sponsored