Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Thought I saw some posts on this before. Search didnt net good results.

Its getting colder. The engine likes to make a lot of clatter on cold start for the first few minutes like all the oil drains out (could be a totally different problem). No doubt a winter of -20 temps will make that worse.

Anyone install a block heater? Is it even necessary on these modern engines?
Sponsored

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had one installed at factory...it does make a difference (my opinion) by countering some of the temperature change. In addition your vehicle interior will get warmer faster in colder climates...I had a vehicle that did not come with one and I had to let that vehicle warm up significantly longer to get a more comfortable interior temp, hope that helps

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I had one installed at factory...it does make a difference (my opinion) by countering some of the temperature change. In addition your vehicle interior will get warmer faster in colder climates...I had a vehicle that did not come with one and I had to let that vehicle warm up significantly longer to get a more comfortable interior temp, hope that helps

I should add that I have the gas engine. I do not have a diesel.

my old diesel truck had a block heater and it worked wonders. I have never seen one on a gas engine though.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is Gas, and I've only ever had Gas engines in my vehicles, we see temps ranging around -20 C (-30 ish F) in the winter, I find it makes a difference (my belief is that all engines run smoother at temp)

Broccoli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Mine has the cold weather package so it was included from the factory.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The block heater has to be ordered for a factory install to be done. It is more common in colder climates for the dealers to include it on the order. Initially, they were included on all the diesel engines, even if it wasn't ordered. The install is not difficult on the gas engine, but is time consuming due to its location under the AC compressor.

I live in a warm climate, where block heaters are not necessary, but grew up in a cold climate where most vehicles were equipped with one. I like using them, now, for having quick heat in the cab whenever it gets down to or below freezing temps.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I had the engine block heater in my silver diesel JT and didn't ever HAVE to use it. I'm sure if it was super super low temps close to 0 degrees F and lower, maybe? In Texas the lowest we've had where I live is 14 degrees F

I always let my vehicles get to operating temps before I take off though, for both diesel and gas engines.

My white one doesn't have the engine block heater like my last one.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Mine has the cold weather package so it was included from the factory.
Hmm. I just checked where it goes behind the compressor and it's not there. I do have the cold weather package. According to the owners manual

"The engine block heater and heater cord are factory installed options. If your vehicle is not equipped, engine block heaters and heater cords are available from an authorized Mopar® dealer."

So I will have to ask my dealer if they can put one in. Darn. I was hoping it would have been in already. Taking apart new vehicles is not a fun thought.

EDIT : this statement was under the diesel section, my mistake. No statement about block heater mentioned in the gasser section. Parts department at Jeep said their system does not show a block heater for the 3.6

Last edited:

Broccoli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Hmm. I just checked where it goes behind the compressor and it's not there. I do have the cold weather package. According to the owners manual

"The engine block heater and heater cord are factory installed options. If your vehicle is not equipped, engine block heaters and heater cords are available from an authorized Mopar® dealer."

So I will have to ask my dealer if they can put one in. Darn. I was hoping it would have been in already. Taking apart new vehicles is not a fun thought.

EDIT : this statement was under the diesel section, my mistake. No statement about block heater mentioned in the gasser section. Parts department at Jeep said their system does not show a block heater for the 3.6
My Mojave is a 3.6
Jeep Gladiator Block heater? 6F288379-EAA2-4338-BFEB-4F708590F938

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
My Mojave is a 3.6
Jeep Gladiator Block heater? 6F288379-EAA2-4338-BFEB-4F708590F938
When I ordered mine, the engine block heater wasn't part of the Cold Weather Package. Is it now for 22 and newer? I don't see it listed

Jeep Gladiator Block heater? 1663872444760

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
My Mojave is a 3.6
Jeep Gladiator Block heater? 1663872444760
How do you see that from the app? I can only get that by going on the computer....

Crazy, maybe its a model year change? Mine doesn't have one. And like @Jeepasaurus_Rex said I dont see it on the online build of options. Or it could be a 'shortage' like how some folks didn't get XX option even though it's 'standard' because of supply issues. Mine does list 'cold weather group', 'remote start' and 'heated seats'. It does not list 'heated steering wheel" so that must be part of the cold weather group

Butch-R-Vols

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland 3.0 Diesel, 2011 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
It is my understanding that all Motori 3.0 diesels have the block heaters already installed from the factory. When ordering from Mopar factory, all you are getting is the cord for the $100 fee. You can but them all day for under $30. I bought the cord on line and installed it and saved the other $70.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
at all Motori 3.0 diesels have the block heaters already installed from the factory. When ordering from Mopar factory, all you ar
I do not have a diesel. This is for a 3.6 gasser.

Broccoli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
How do you see that from the app? I can only get that by going on the computer....

Crazy, maybe its a model year change? Mine doesn't have one. And like @Jeepasaurus_Rex said I dont see it on the online build of options. Or it could be a 'shortage' like how some folks didn't get XX option even though it's 'standard' because of supply issues. Mine does list 'cold weather group', 'remote start' and 'heated seats'. It does not list 'heated steering wheel" so that must be part of the cold weather group
Maybe it’s a regional thing? I didn’t order mine. I bought it brand new off the lot a day after they got it and i live in northern MN. Actually went to the dealership looking for a JLU but the JTM caught my eye.
Sponsored