Sponsored

Carrying gas cans

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I'm looking to do the White Rim Trail in Moab this summer. I'm also looking at ways to carry extra fuel.

I currently have a bed rack where my RTT sits but the rack is also covered with a soft top-type material (https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/soft-top-over-my-bed-rack.63041/). I just mounted a Rotopax mount on the inside to potentially use for the trip.

For those of you that carry the old-school 5 gallon jerry cans, do you find that you have to burp the cans due to temperature/altitude changes? Any issues with the cans leaking?

For those of you carrying in the bed of the truck, do you use any mounts or just play camping Tetris and wedge everything together?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Well mine is diesel I imagine that they expand a little differently. I have two wavian Jerry cans and the wavian spout. I haven't had to burp them at all. Gone from 4100 ft to sea level and back. They seem pretty solid to me. Although I haven't had them in the heat yet. So I don't have any hard knowledge in that spectrum.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
In a diesel now with a bed-mounted 15 gal tank, so hopefully the jerry can days are over...

But in my previous gas truck, I often carried 4 Scepter MFC plastic fuel cans (US Army surplus). You'll likely end up with some of the OG or imitation metal jerry cans instead. If the seals are in good shape, they'll swell in heat and sun but hold pressure. But it's better to burp them. The seals will hold if stored on their side but it's better to avoid it if you can.

But another answer is, White Rim is only 100 miles, pretty easy driving, and not that far from Moab. If you can't get 250 miles of range out of a tank you must be on tank treads lol.

(I like to have 500-600 miles of range, thus the 15-gal tank, but that's generally for 5-8 day trips in Death Valley which wants to kill you. Different story)

Last edited:

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
In a diesel now with a bed-mounted 15 gal tank, so hopefully the jerry can days are over...

But in my previous gas truck, I often carried 4 Scepter MFC plastic fuel cans (US Army surplus). You'll likely end up with some of the OG or imitation metal jerry cans instead. If the seals are in good shape, they'll swell in heat and sun but hold pressure. But it's better to burp them. The seals will hold if stored on their side but it's better to avoid it if you can.

But another answer is, White Rim is only 100 miles, pretty easy driving, and not that far from Moab. If you can't get 250 miles of range out of a tank you must be on tank treads lol. So why bother

(I like to have 500-600 miles of range, thus the 15-gal tank, but that's generally for 5-8 day trips in Death Valley which wants to kill you. Different story)
Sorry to momentarily hijack the thread...

Very interesting, what tank did you go with and how's it mounted? How about fuel transfer?

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
I only carry the smaller Rotopax, nothing extreme. I'm sure if I were to ever need an extended amount for use, I'd have to come up with other options. I wheel but only on occasion and never the point to where I'd need extended fuel. But due to not having nor wanting a bed rack mainly cause I have a Diamondback cover that I love and don't work with most racks anyways, I just mount them to my molle panels at the bulkhead with the Rotopax, Pax Mounts. If I need to I have an extension mount as well to where I can stack multiple.

But for my "daily" set up, this works fine for my simple needs.

Jeep Gladiator Carrying gas cans 4321EAE8-3354-4306-97C6-CA3941CE4EBE

Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to momentarily hijack the thread...

Very interesting, what tank did you go with and how's it mounted? How about fuel transfer?
Let's keep it quick... Titan Sidekick (though I got the non-Gladiator specific one and mounted on the driver's side), inside a camper and strapped down to the camper accessory rails. Manual transfer with the shaker siphon hose that came with it. No pump, no holes in the tank except the fill cap. Simple.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I had a 5 gallon wavian Jerry can with me for my trip from Syracuse NY to Utah last September.

I filled it in Syracuse and it for the entire round trip drive (including a couple days in Colorado on engineers and cinnamon passes) and never opened it until I got home and emptied it.

I never smelled any gas at all.

I strapped mine using a ratchet strap to my trail rail, but I plan on building a more organized solution that doesn't require ratchet straps, that's a pain in the rear getting things in and out multiple times a day..

This the beginning of my layout in the rear. I ended up moving the fridge to the passenger side, but everything else stayed where it is here.

20220823_163721.jpg

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I have four 5 gal cans that fit perfectly across the front of the bed. I strap them to the front OEM tie downs. The only issue I’ve had is when they’re empty and cool off, and/or drop in elevation, they like to shrivel up a bit. I usually have to let air in to get the shape back. I have burped them on the trail because they were bulging a bit, but they have never leaked.
Jeep Gladiator Carrying gas cans 1EE436AA-0ED6-45D0-BBCC-DD70D91ABDD9

Sank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJR, 22 JTRD
I'm also a big fan of the wavian cans. No burping, lots of altitude and temperature changes, no gas smell. So I got a couple for diesel too. They do make a diesel sized donkey nozzle for em.

On the other hand, I have split a seam on a large rotopax that was full of gasoline (not even an altitude change!) and won't use those again.

Ok. So. Not a great way to store them in the bed. Also looking for a good answer. My current strap solution is ok but kinda not.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'm also a big fan of the wavian cans. No burping, lots of altitude and temperature changes, no gas smell. So I got a couple for diesel too. They do make a diesel sized donkey nozzle for em.

On the other hand, I have split a seam on a large rotopax that was full of gasoline (not even an altitude change!) and won't use those again.

Ok. So. Not a great way to store them in the bed. Also looking for a good answer. My current strap solution is ok but kinda not.
Why is strapping them not a good solution?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

But another answer is, White Rim is only 100 miles, pretty easy driving, and not that far from Moab. If you can't get 250 miles of range out of a tank you must be on tank treads lol.

I'm actually hoping to come across some of the Scepter cans. I like the idea of super durable plastic. I did find a surplus store that sells them. Just wanted opinions before I pulled the trigger.

Thank you!

OP
OP

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yeah, I heard horror stories like this. Don't want this to happen since I'll be storing the cans in the bed.

Scepter cans it is!

DCPHOENIX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Dad
I use a VP can if I’m going to be carrying fuel. Just strap it down.
With the filler pipe attached, there’s enough expansion room if it gets very hot. I’ve seen fuel half way up it before. No leaks.

I squeeze 5.8 gallons in there. Enough to get me to the closest gas station no matter where I am in the continental US

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
2x wavians mounted via motobilt mounts that I had powder coated black, no issues at all. Both the cans and mounts are built like bricks and I’ve never had a sense that pressure was mounting.

B3E039BE-BADA-482A-9878-442E0D7892A2.jpeg

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I have four 5 gal cans that fit perfectly across the front of the bed. I strap them to the front OEM tie downs. The only issue I’ve had is when they’re empty and cool off, and/or drop in elevation, they like to shrivel up a bit. I usually have to let air in to get the shape back. I have burped them on the trail because they were bulging a bit, but they have never leaked.
Jeep Gladiator Carrying gas cans B3E039BE-BADA-482A-9878-442E0D7892A2
I carry gas at least once a week and this is what works for me except I use Midwest brand metal cans. You don’t need a $400 solution to a $30 problem. $30 because it’s best not to cheap out on ratchet straps.
Sponsored