Should the Scrambler lineup inlcude:

• Total voters

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but the doors won't come off the Dakota lol well it might it is FCA after all.
Yea but the issue is single cabs or even extended cabs make up less than 20% of total truck sales. Of that less then 20% the large majority are to Fleet sales (Think Auto Parts stores, Pest Control, HVAC, etc), so the "lifestyle" market that is buying for the convertible top is far from profitable based on the time, and money involved to make it.
Sponsored

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
Yea but the issue is single cabs or even extended cabs make up less than 20% of total truck sales. Of that less then 20% the large majority are to Fleet sales (Think Auto Parts stores, Pest Control, HVAC, etc), so the "lifestyle" market that is buying for the convertible top is far from profitable based on the time, and money involved to make it.
Well duh that's obvious. Jeep would rather have them buy a 2 door Wrangler and shut up. Although they will just buy a Ranger or Tacoma or Colorado then methinks. The Dakota won't bring anything special that these 2 door folks would really want that they can't get from the other 3.

Unfortunately it doesn't pay to be an individualist in the car market. You either conform with what everyone else says you have to conform to i.e. majority of people buying the same type of vehicle so companies catering to them.

The 2 door Wrangler will probably be dead in a couple of generations too if I had to guess.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Well duh that's obvious. Jeep would rather have them buy a 2 door Wrangler and shut up. Although they will just buy a Ranger or Tacoma or Colorado then methinks. The Dakota won't bring anything special that these 2 door folks would really want that they can't get from the other 3.

Unfortunately it doesn't pay to be an individualist in the car market. You either conform with what everyone else says you have to conform to i.e. majority of people buying the same type of vehicle so companies catering to them.

The 2 door Wrangler will probably be dead in a couple of generations too if I had to guess.
Yep and that's just it. The amount of customers is so small that it won't affect their bottom line.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
Yep and that's just it. The amount of customers is so small that it won't affect their bottom line.
Well it isn't that small. They know it would affect FCA's bottom line a little again not enough that they felt the need to invest but certainly enough where they will try to chase them with the Dakota. Offering the equivalent of a 2 door ZR2.

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Well it isn't that small. They know it would affect FCA's bottom line a little again not enough that they felt the need to invest but certainly enough where they will try to chase them with the Dakota. Offering the equivalent of a 2 door ZR2.
I doubt the Dakota will be offered anything like a ZR2. They already have the Gladiator to do that. Its going to be a basic midsize pick up, most likely with IFS, and be perfect for the non off-road types and fleet sales. My guess is their main focus is going to be fleet with that truck just so they can offer an option to Ram buyers that need a midsize and not lose those to Ford or Chevy.

Sponsored

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I doubt the Dakota will be offered anything like a ZR2. They already have the Gladiator to do that. Its going to be a basic midsize pick up, most likely with IFS, and be perfect for the non off-road types and fleet sales. My guess is their main focus is going to be fleet with that truck just so they can offer an option to Ram buyers that need a midsize and not lose those to Ford or Chevy.

I don't know it would not surprise me if they released the Dakota with the 5.7L Hemi in it, They had a V8 in the past and with gas being low and them competing against the small pickups I could see a V8 and a Diesel to set them apart. Plus if AEV gets involved with the Dakota and they had a V8 could have a winner.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know it would not surprise me if they released the Dakota with the 5.7L Hemi in it, They had a V8 in the past and with gas being low and them competing against the small pickups I could see a V8 and a Diesel to set them apart. Plus if AEV gets involved with the Dakota and they had a V8 could have a winner.
Problem is FCA is smart and will not build any directly competing products. The will not want a Ram stealing Jeep sales and a Jeep stealing Ram sales. You'll never see a full-size Jeep pick up, the Power Wagon is a one ton. The Rebel TR & TRX will be Raptor competitors, and in that same way they wont build the Dakota to compete with the Gladiator. I could see them coming out with a special edition Gladiator to maybe compete with the Raptor Ranger (if it makes it to the US ever) but I highly doubt the Daktoa will be anything more then a gap filler for the non lifestyle customers that the Gladiator isn't focused at.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
So the Gladiator is a lifestyle truck for only certain lifestyle people. Interesting indeed.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
Yes, if by 'certain lifestyle people' you mean 85-90% of the people buying 'lifestyle trucks'.
Tell GM to stop making the 2 door ZR2 and upcoming Bison with various bed lengths. Clearly they got it wrong. I have no idea what they are thinking.

Sponsored

Mr_baker4420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Tell GM to stop making the 2 door ZR2 and upcoming Bison with various bed lengths. Clearly they got it wrong. I have no idea what they are thinking.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but come on. That's a ridiculous comparison. They already build the lower end models of the trucks you're referring to. If jeep was build entry level $22000 dollar gladiators then I'm sure you would get you two door. Except it would probably have a really short bed, and you guys would still be upset.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Man - so snarky!!!

This applies also to the people who also posted their "likes".

I didn't realize you guys get so bitchy over an opinion related to an extended cab pickup truck - I think it's time to ease up....

Last edited:
OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. Send them a letter as they are not reading your gripes on here.
I don't think you're correct about that. I know for a fact that Jeep monitors these forums - they shut down one forum that was tracking Jeep Wrangler orders earlier this year in the related webpage to this one for JL Wrangler forum. And as stated by the Jeep Design chief in the referenced video above - the production of the Gladiator is a direct result of input to Jeep expressing support for a pickup.

This same input supporting an extended cab format can work for its production as well.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I strongly disagree about the 2-door Wrangler - the CJ is at the core of Jeep's heritage and it started what it is today a movement. They will always build the 2 door Wrangler - if you notice the dealer inventories through the Jeep website there's not a 2 door Rubicon JL to be found - they sell as soon as they arrive - this was confirmed by our dealer when we ordered our 2 door - there's a 2018 2 door Rubicon JL in my garage right now and I love it! We had to order it as none were available in inventory...

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes you can and feel free to drive that ugly thing reminds me of a minivan lol! Oh and as always you will have the Dakota in a year or too.

On a real note hope you get your extended cab and thanks for staying in the 2 door thread.
No problem about the two door thread thing...I comment in other threads too - engine threads (as I have a 2015 pentastar-equipped Ram - ordered that way and 2018 Rubicon 2 door, 2.0 turbo - ordered), leather v. cloth thread, etc.

As many can tell and apparently in some instances to their annoyance - I am passionate about the the availability of an extended cab 2 door (quad cab) as I think Jeep really did a disservice to many loyal Jeep followers by limiting the Gladiator to a crew cab with such a short bed....
Sponsored