2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
So the Gladiator is a lifestyle truck for only certain lifestyle people. Interesting indeed.
Great comment!!!
Your comment exposes this whole "lifestyle" thing as a marketing department's thin justification for only building one cab configuration when every other manufacturer in the class is building multiple cab configurations.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have a dog in this fight, but come on. That's a ridiculous comparison. They already build the lower end models of the trucks you're referring to. If jeep was build entry level $22000 dollar gladiators then I'm sure you would get you two door. Except it would probably have a really short bed, and you guys would still be upset.
I think the key is that the FCA/Jeep invested in a dedicated assembly line and chassis for the Gladiator. With these in place there can now be many variations built upon that chassis - including may be even the Dakota. I think its a 99% probability that FCA builds an extended cab mid-size truck - BUT, will it be a Ram Dakota? A Jeep Gladiator? Both? - Only time will tell....

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, if by 'certain lifestyle people' you mean 85-90% of the people buying 'lifestyle trucks'.
Noteworthy that nearly 65% of respondents to the poll which is the subject of this thread, support alternative cab configurations rather than just having a crew cab...

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Noteworthy that nearly 65% of respondents to the poll which is the subject of this thread, support alternative cab configurations rather than just having a crew cab...
To be fair they are answering a pole in a thread title worded to bring in support from a specific minded thought process. This isn't a positive or negative statement on the matter, let's just keep things in perspective.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
I don't have a dog in this fight, but come on. That's a ridiculous comparison. They already build the lower end models of the trucks you're referring to. If jeep was build entry level $22000 dollar gladiators then I'm sure you would get you two door. Except it would probably have a really short bed, and you guys would still be upset.
Actually it isn't as ridiculous as you think, GM doesn't sell the ZR2 and Bison in 2 door simply because they have the lower models. They sell them because they know they can sell and make money off of them and they do just like the crew cab does. If they didn't think they could make money off of them they would just build the ZR2 and Bison in crew cab only and call it a day like Toyota does for the TRD Pro Tacoma.

GM isn't obligated to build a 2 door ZR2 and they don't do it out of obligation. Obviously Jeep isn't obligated to build a 2 door Gladiator either but they invested quite a bit of money into despite parts binning and sharing here and there with the JLU and Ram 1500.

All in all, if Jeep won't build a 2 door the ZR2 is a great choice and in general it is better than the Jeep out of the factory. The only reason why I won't buy one is because it is automatic only. I rather have a worse truck in order to shift my own gears.

Now perhaps you would say they don't want to step on the upcoming Dakota's toes with a 2 door model. I get it but if they think Jeep buyers are the same as Dakota buyers then FCA is many things but intelligent is not the first thing to come to mind.

Sponsored

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I support other cab/bed options just because I always support more options for those that need it.

At the same time I will say that the people on the forums are a small subset of the overall owners, and any polling on here doesn't reflect orders/sales to Jeeps. For example on the forums I would say that you would see 80%+ support 2 door Wranglers, but when it comes to sales Jeep has said that over 80% of sales are 4 doors.

The issue you get into with the truck with multiple cab/bed configurations is that the more options you have the less cross compatibility of products you have, and the more inventory and parts you need to stock and maintain. For us it is easy to say how hard is it to cut the back doors off, but then you have a new roll bar, a new sound bar, likely a bench seat for the cab, new cab closeout, new beds, new frames, and the list goes on. This would likely cost hundreds of millions of dollars in testing, tooling, and inventory management that would need to be earned back.

So again while I say that I support as many options as possible for the Gladiator, I also am realistic about the challenges.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
I strongly disagree about the 2-door Wrangler - the CJ is at the core of Jeep's heritage and it started what it is today a movement. They will always build the 2 door Wrangler - if you notice the dealer inventories through the Jeep website there's not a 2 door Rubicon JL to be found - they sell as soon as they arrive - this was confirmed by our dealer when we ordered our 2 door - there's a 2018 2 door Rubicon JL in my garage right now and I love it! We had to order it as none were available in inventory...
I disagree. Nothing is sacred in the car industry. If demand drops enough or they think it won't sell it will kill a model without hesitation. They will flip you off or like the Gladiator tell you that you will get a 4 door model so shut up and deal with it to force your hand.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
...GM isn't obligated to build a 2 door ZR2 and they don't do it out of obligation - they aren't obligated to making a profit either, hence the 'Bail-Out' they got.
Fixed for you ;)

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
I think we need numbers here to help figure out why or to even guess as to if FCA/Jeep will build a two door. This post has been going on for a while and no real stats have shown to support a two door. Colorado non-fleet extended cab sales numbers? ZR2 extended cab sales numbers? (I personally have never even seen an extended cab ZR2 on the proving grounds, let alone on the road or dealer lot so please share if you have seen one of these unicorns!)

At this point the RAM 1500 is only offered in a quad cab and crew cab, the 2019 Silverado is being offered in double cab and crew cab. Ford currently has the oldest platform so a regular cab is still offered, but your bed size is 5.6 foot bed, 6.6 foot (JT is equal if the tail gate is down) and 8 foot for those with long wood I guess.... Im willing to bet they will not offer anything smaller then a supercab on their new truck whenever it is announced.

Most quad cab/ double cab rear seat volume on a 1500 is pretty similar to a crew cab midsize truck, so are we just getting hung up on overall length here? or is it the word "crew"?

In terms of the pole, its a grate way to view peoples interest and get feed back from the community if everyone partisapates. Currently, this forum is 8,275 strong. Including both two door answers there are 75 votes for a two door. If I'm not mistaken, this works out to be .9% of this forum. So its being talked about a lot but its being talked about by the same few people.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Actually it isn't as ridiculous as you think, GM doesn't sell the ZR2 and Bison in 2 door simply because they have the lower models. They sell them because they know they can sell and make money off of them and they do just like the crew cab does. If they didn't think they could make money off of them they would just build the ZR2 and Bison in crew cab only and call it a day like Toyota does for the TRD Pro Tacoma.

GM isn't obligated to build a 2 door ZR2 and they don't do it out of obligation. Obviously Jeep isn't obligated to build a 2 door Gladiator either but they invested quite a bit of money into despite parts binning and sharing here and there with the JLU and Ram 1500.

All in all, if Jeep won't build a 2 door the ZR2 is a great choice and in general it is better than the Jeep out of the factory. The only reason why I won't buy one is because it is automatic only. I rather have a worse truck in order to shift my own gears.
Completely disagree.

They already spent the time and money designing and implementing a door assembly line. Thats the big cost factor. To throw some suspension bits and bumpers on one is minimal effort. The Gladiator dosen't have a base model 2 door, so to expect them to design, and tool and assembly line for a very limited amount of buyers makes zero sense.

Now perhaps you would say they don't want to step on the upcoming Dakota's toes with a 2 door model. I get it but if they think Jeep buyers are the same as Dakota buyers then FCA is many things but intelligent is not the first thing to come to mind.
Why do you say that? If they offer a ZR2 style, Dakota, you would be cross shopping them. Just like most people would cross shop the Ranger, Tacoma, and Colorado to the Gladiator.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
Completely disagree.

They already spent the time and money designing and implementing a door assembly line. Thats the big cost factor. To throw some suspension bits and bumpers on one is minimal effort. The Gladiator dosen't have a base model 2 door, so to expect them to design, and tool and assembly line for a very limited amount of buyers makes zero sense.

Why do you say that? If they offer a ZR2 style, Dakota, you would be cross shopping them. Just like most people would cross shop the Ranger, Tacoma, and Colorado to the Gladiator.
They still have to federalize the vehicle combination for sale. To think GM spent minimal effort offering a 2 door ZR2 is incorrect. They are also making the Bison in 2 doors. They know they can make money off the combination. Otherwise they would stick with just the ZR2. GM is notorious for penny pinching and won't even consider an improvement to a vehicle if it will cost them money.

Toyota also has a base 2 door. They specifically avoided a 2 door Pro model because they didn't want to bother federalizing a 2 door model which they specifically will limit production of. That's why they never made a crew cab or single cab X-Runner. They didn't want to have to go through the federalization process of adding a new body style to the trim.

Also I would not be cross shopping a Jeep truck and Dakota. People who want a Jeep truck want it because it is a Jeep that happens to be a truck not a truck that happens to be a Jeep. Those who really want a truck and don't care about Jeep traits can go and buy Tacomas, Colorados and now Rangers and they do.

FCA wants its cake and eat it too. They don't want to make a 2 door Gladiator but they want people to wait and buy a 2 door Dakota. They shouldn't get their hopes up unless they are FCA faithfuls which to be fair are quite a few of them.

Dakotas doors won't come off. Dakotas won't fold their windshield down. Dakotas won't come with a manual transmission V6 combination (I'll bet on that one). Dakotas won't have a soft top. Plenty of differences between the two which exclude it from consideration many Jeepers especially considering if they can do without those things there are many great options they can go buy right now.

I doubt the Dakota will be offered anything like a ZR2. They already have the Gladiator to do that. Its going to be a basic midsize pick up, most likely with IFS, and be perfect for the non off-road types and fleet sales. My guess is their main focus is going to be fleet with that truck just so they can offer an option to Ram buyers that need a midsize and not lose those to Ford or Chevy.
Well are they going to make one or not?

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, if by 'certain lifestyle people' you mean 85-90% of the people buying 'lifestyle trucks'.
I just read an article in "Automotive News" regarding Silverado pickup sales at GM that said for 2019 they expect 60% of sales to be in crew cabs a far cry from 90-95%. GM is making money on the extended cabs and two doors which constitute the remaining 40%. To limit itself to crew cab - Jeep is bypassing s significantly profitable section of the market.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They still have to federalize the vehicle combination for sale. To think GM spent minimal effort offering a 2 door ZR2 is incorrect. They are also making the Bison in 2 doors. They know they can make money off the combination. Otherwise they would stick with just the ZR2. GM is notorious for penny pinching and won't even consider an improvement to a vehicle if it will cost them money.

Toyota also has a base 2 door. They specifically avoided a 2 door Pro model because they didn't want to bother federalizing a 2 door model which they specifically will limit production of. That's why they never made a crew cab or single cab X-Runner. They didn't want to have to go through the federalization process of adding a new body style to the trim.

Also I would not be cross shopping a Jeep truck and Dakota. People who want a Jeep truck want it because it is a Jeep that happens to be a truck not a truck that happens to be a Jeep. Those who really want a truck and don't care about Jeep traits can go and buy Tacomas, Colorados and now Rangers and they do.

FCA wants its cake and eat it too. They don't want to make a 2 door Gladiator but they want people to wait and buy a 2 door Dakota. They shouldn't get their hopes up unless they are FCA faithfuls which to be fair are quite a few of them.

Dakotas doors won't come off. Dakotas won't fold their windshield down. Dakotas won't come with a manual transmission V6 combination (I'll bet on that one). Dakotas won't have a soft top. Plenty of differences between the two which exclude it from consideration many Jeepers especially considering if they can do without those things there are many great options they can go buy right now.

Well are they going to make one or not?
I agree. I own two FCA products - a 2015 Ram Laramie quad cab - factory ordered and 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2.0 turbo 2 door - factory ordered. I will NOT buy an extended cab Dakota as I would rather just keep my Laramie or get another Ram. But if an extended cab Gladiator came on to the market with a soft top - that would be next vehicle....

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I just read an article in "Automotive News" regarding Silverado pickup sales at GM that said for 2019 they expect 60% of sales to be in crew cabs a far cry from 90-95%. GM is making money on the extended cabs and two doors which constitute the remaining 40%. To limit itself to crew cab - Jeep is bypassing s significantly profitable section of the market.
The better question would be outside of the fleet market what is the cab break out in sales units or percentages.

The reason why I say outside of fleet is that there are a lot of people who will buy large quantities of a truck based solely on price for trades (construction or delivery) where I don't feel like Jeep would fit in.
Sponsored