Sponsored

I want this, but not going to wait longer!

Wizzard005

First Name
CnG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I really wish they would release this at the same time, but I will not wait another year for it!
Sponsored

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
Release what?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I have never had a diesel. Why get one?

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
I have never had a diesel. Why get one?
1. Torque at lower RPMs = better offroading.

2. They usually are more reliable (even with the new EPA stuff as long as you get one that is newer than 2013). Except the Ecodiesel is actually not reliable at all so...

3. More torque at lower RPMs = better towing. (Except the Ecodiesel actually tows less so...)

4. Maintains value better.

Let me tell you why you shouldn't:
1. Some may argue the better fuel economy is enough to out way the cost of diesel over gas. But the fact is there is more expenses to diesel than just at the pump. Both parts and labor is more expensive which makes maintenance and repairs more expensive (even considering diesels have longer oil change intervals). Then there is DEF which isn't alot but adds up.

2. Buying a diesel is useless unless:
-you tow alot
-you are a serious offroader
-you live somewhere where diesel is cheaper than petroleum.

Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
You left out the most important aspect of a diesel: it's awesome sound! Watch the FCA sponsored video of several of their 2018 Wrangler diesel test mules negotiating their way off-road climbing over huge rocks. Its diesel exhaust note is not all muted like its lamo competitors have done. Don't give up on just one more year of waiting. If you capitulate now, and acquire a gasser, trust me, a year later you will oh, so badly regret not waiting a short 12 more months.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
You left out the most important aspect of a diesel: it's awesome sound! Watch the FCA sponsored video of several of their 2018 Wrangler diesel test mules negotiating their way off-road climbing over huge rocks. Its diesel exhaust note is not all muted like its lamo competitors have done. Don't give up on just one more year of waiting. If you capitulate now, and acquire a gasser, trust me, a year later you will oh, so badly regret not waiting a short 12 more months.
Diesel growl is much more satisfying than V6 growl. I had a new Raptor pass me the other day, and I nearly wretched at the sound of that Ecoboost. Yuck.

I really want, and will wait for the 3.0, because of the added torque for pulling power. I constantly have my current WK loaded with people, dogs and crap, yet can still power up and over mountain passes better than all other cars and trucks around me, and still get over 20 mpg, even with my lead foot. I keep reading about JL owners getting 16-18 mpg before any mods. Unacceptable. I believe I can get a JT diesel, lift and upsize the tires, and still get well over 20 mpg (hoping for 25). And the real bonus is if you tow anything. I dragged a 2000+ lb tent trailer, had a rooftop box, bicycles and all gear for bike races for 4 days, and 5 full sized adults, 1200 mile round trip, averaging 75 mph, over mountain passes (still up hill at 70+) and averaged 18.5 mpg.

So I'm sold on the diesel. I will wait.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Diesel growl is much more satisfying than V6 growl. I had a new Raptor pass me the other day, and I nearly wretched at the sound of that Ecoboost. Yuck.

I really want, and will wait for the 3.0, because of the added torque for pulling power. I constantly have my current WK loaded with people, dogs and crap, yet can still power up and over mountain passes better than all other cars and trucks around me, and still get over 20 mpg, even with my lead foot. I keep reading about JL owners getting 16-18 mpg before any mods. Unacceptable. I believe I can get a JT diesel, lift and upsize the tires, and still get well over 20 mpg (hoping for 25). And the real bonus is if you tow anything. I dragged a 2000+ lb tent trailer, had a rooftop box, bicycles and all gear for bike races for 4 days, and 5 full sized adults, 1200 mile round trip, averaging 75 mph, over mountain passes (still up hill at 70+) and averaged 18.5 mpg.

So I'm sold on the diesel. I will wait.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
My plan is to wait up to 6 more years for a diesel to arrive in either the JL or the Gladiator, and I am willing to spend up to $20,000 additional over a gas motor for the priviledge of acquirung a diesel motor in a Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator. However, if the wait expands to significantly more than 6 years out from now, as they say on The Shark Tank, I’m out.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My plan is to wait up to 6 more years for a diesel to arrive in either the JL or the Gladiator, and I am willing to spend up to $20,000 additional over a gas motor for the priviledge of acquirung a diesel motor in a Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator. However, if the wait expands to significantly more than 6 years out from now, as they say on The Shark Tank, I’m out.
6 YEARS? I'm still hoping for 6 months.

Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
6 YEARS? I'm still hoping for 6 months.
What?! 6 months?! The FCA executive stated at the recent 2018 LA Auto Show the diesel will not be avaiable until CY2020. As we all know, this means the last second of the last day in Dec 2020, and that’s assuming there are zero glitches (read that, EPA and diesel emissions tests), and zero delays. Yeah, like that’s likely...

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What?! 6 months?! The FCA executive stated at the recent 2018 LA Auto Show the diesel will not be avaiable until CY2020. As we all know, this means the last second of the last day in Dec 2020, and that’s assuming there are zero glitches (read that, EPA and diesel emissions tests), and zero delays. Yeah, like that’s likely...
I can dream, can't I?

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Well it is a factor, I didn't mention it because not everyone likes the sound of a diesel.

Flamma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Trailhawk, 2017 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A
Tim Kuniskis: " Bobby. Bobby! Can you do this for me? Every single game, can you do this?"
MOPAR Boy: "Coach, not only will I do it for you, I... I... I... yes, yes, I'll do it for you."

Mr_baker4420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
You're kidding right? If you have that much time and that much money... why don't you build one? We know that jeep reads this forum. I just hope they ignore the irrational posts while deciding on pricing.
Sponsored