Sponsored

Anyone recommend a dash cam for Gladiator?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Thanks for the info. So, you are putting a camera in the grill. I like that idea. Can you use that for parking? Can you reply with a photo when you have finished install? Thanks! Dennis
Yes on all points although it may be a while before I mount it because of potential for a brush bar on the bumper and my desire to limit obstructions in the view.

It has parking lines on it if I wire them up. They do not arc with the steering but are effective for judging distance. You can also pan the image up or down by swiping up or down.

If the Italians would have let me order a trail cam I would have, but they wouldn't so this is my answer to their unwillingness to take my money.

The JKRHR had no rear camera which I thought was pretty shitty on a 40k 2017 vehicle, so I bought and installed one of these, it worked very well and the dealer was concerned that I was going to remove it before I traded it.
Sponsored

Airmousam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Another vote for blackvue...I've had mine for 3 years, zero issues and without a screen, mounting is pretty stealth

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
I had one of these that has moved thru 3 vehicles, but pulled it out a couple of weeks ago when it decided to start cooking itself:
upload_2019-9-11_15-3-13.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742J69SQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I did like it, except for:
* You would have to buy an additional mount if you want GPS.
* Not a huge fan of the suction cup mount, once a month you come out and it's hanging.

So, I've been debating getting another one of above, but am going to try this one instead:
upload_2019-9-11_15-7-59.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NP8XQ31/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&psc=1

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
I have an Owl Cam.....it's garbage. You are given 60 credits per month to view history or saved videos. 1 minute of video uses 1 credit. You never have any signal to access videos on your app and when you try to watch a video, it "lost connection" but you're still charged a credit to try and view the vid. Pure trash.

OP
OP

Jeep Glad

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I have an Owl Cam.....it's garbage. You are given 60 credits per month to view history or saved videos. 1 minute of video uses 1 credit. You never have any signal to access videos on your app and when you try to watch a video, it "lost connection" but you're still charged a credit to try and view the vid. Pure trash.
Thanks for the info on Owl Cam, good to know

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep Glad

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Another vote for blackvue...I've had mine for 3 years, zero issues and without a screen, mounting is pretty stealth
Please tell me what model? There seems to be a few of them,

karsonwithak

First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Radio
junsun Mirror Dash Cam Front and Rear, 10 Inch Touch Screen Front 1080P Rear View 1080P Dual Lens 170 Degrees Wide Angle with Backup Camera G-Sensor Parking Monitor Night Vision https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWV114Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xpqEDb8P5T36Z

This is what I used in my JKRHR and I mounted the rear camera in the spare wheel.

I bought one just like it to install in the Gladiator, but I am going to use the rear camera in the front grille.

Fantastic value, very very good imagery, takes up to 64gb micro SD. The camera, hard wire kit and card will run about $150.
I did some reading on the Amazon link you shared and could not seem to find an answer but are you using the built in Gladiator rear camera for the Junsun Mirror Dash Cam?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I did some reading on the Amazon link you shared and could not seem to find an answer but are you using the built in Gladiator rear camera for the Junsun Mirror Dash Cam?
No sir, the camera(s) display in the rear view mirror mounted screen.

My plan is to use the factory supplied rear camera and then the dual recording cameras for the front, one obviously mounted high on the mirror itself and then one mounted in the grille, giving me a couple different forward perspectives and dual 1080p recording to the front. Doing that I will be able to have the front and rear both displayed inside simultaneously

OP
OP

Jeep Glad

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
No sir, the camera(s) display in the rear view mirror mounted screen.

My plan is to use the factory supplied rear camera and then the dual recording cameras for the front, one obviously mounted high on the mirror itself and then one mounted in the grille, giving me a couple different forward perspectives and dual 1080p recording to the front. Doing that I will be able to have the front and rear both displayed inside simultaneously
I was wondering if you will power the mirror dash cam from somewhere near the rear view mirror?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep Glad

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I don’t have adaptive cruise so I ordered the housing, cover and bracket that hold the ACC sensor. Mounted the cam inside and it’s mostly invisible

5C806B79-603D-44B7-9F23-ECFDB0B699B5.jpeg

A2230F3A-150A-4541-B91A-72DC35CB9663.jpeg

99B69E82-6399-4582-8D1F-DFC0FAB742D4.jpeg
Can you tell me about the white Jeep in the last photo?

Reactions: JP1

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I was wondering if you will power the mirror dash cam from somewhere near the rear view mirror?
I'll have to look at what kind of power is there already for the collision assist and if it is convenient then yes absolutely.

If not I'll just route through the front window trim panels to overhead the mirror and then drop to the mirror. Neither is going to be too complicated, and no I don't want a bunch of shitty looking wiring hanging about.