SightsOfIron

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon
Hey all,

what dash cam do you have and how have you mounted it, powered it, hide wires, etc.
I'm looking for a clean look without all the wires hanging around.
Sponsored

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Have a cheap Viofo dash cam, has worked flawless for quite some time. Mounted behind the mirror so it doesn't impede vision, don't have the adaptive cruise so I had that windshield real estate to work with. The wires go behind the plastic upper windshield trim (right side), down inside the pillar, behind the kick panel, and to my #4 aux switch. Looks good, clean. Easy Peasy. There are multiple ways to wire it, always hot but has a low battery cut off, or wire it to ignition hot only. I wasn't using #4 switch so I just tapped into that.

OP
OP
SightsOfIron

SightsOfIron

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon
Have a cheap Viofo dash cam, has worked flawless for quite some time. Mounted behind the mirror so it doesn't impede vision, don't have the adaptive cruise so I had that windshield real estate to work with. The wires go behind the plastic upper windshield trim (right side), down inside the pillar, behind the kick panel, and to my #4 aux switch. Looks good, clean. Easy Peasy. There are multiple ways to wire it, always hot but has a low battery cut off, or wire it to ignition hot only. I wasn't using #4 switch so I just tapped into that.
Clever!

Sponsored

ParadiseMo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have a garmin dashcam, very happy with it and zero issues/complaints.
Whatever you get, highly recommend having one: it was hard evidence in a recent insurance claim that a car reversed into me while stopped in traffic (proved that I was stationary, they reversed and they did not attempt to brake).

It's also great for capturing in 2k-ish resolution awesome moments while driving (eg vistas, sunsets, near misses, etc)

As for the setup, it's a hot mess of surplus cable wrapped behind the mirror and then looped around the grab bar and across to usb port.

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0811Q28N6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have this one.. Was a little hard to wire up but well worth it.. I have a bed rack and I mounted the rear camera to it so now it's my rearview mirror. Much wider angle than my normal rearview mirror. Also records both front and rear. Has GPS mounted on top of the center roll bar beside the Sirius antennea so it shows speed and direction. Been using since April with no issues..

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
I use an Owlcam mounted to a 67 Designs system. Wires are tucked along the bottom of the windshield, tucked along the door to where it plugs into the OBD. No wires to be seen.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Nextbase. Hardwired to fuse. They provide the wires to do a double fuse. All wires hidden and run appropriately like a pro would do. I ran the rear camera through the roll bar plastic covers. Ran above windshield pulled grab handle off and rain behind then off to engine bay. Did not take too long. Pairs to phone. Great camera mounted to the right of the rear view.

https://nextbase.com/

Sponsored

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I run this power cord and can’t recommend it enough (it works with any Dashcam using the mini-usb connector and draws power using the OBD2 port):

https://apemans.com/products/apeman-dash-cam-hardwire-kit-ch45

I have it running behind the driver grab handle and tucked into the plastic trim at the top of the window. Results in a clean/hidden install. The power shuts off to the dashcam after a minute or so of the vehicle locking.

Partysub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 sting gray mojave
I have a blackvue for front a rear thats hardwired to the wiring with the aux bundle and all wires are run behind the paneling. Both cameras will continue recording while parked, which was a huge plus for me. They have already paid for themselves when someone hit my wife's car and took off while she was shopping. I had both views of his car with audio and the officer that took the report was amazed at the quality. His plate was clearly visible from both cameras which made tracking him down easy.