Rear Dash Cam Mounting Options

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Just got my Blackview in the mail and I ordered the 2 channel option before thinking this through...
Looking for ideas about mounting/locations/wiring for the rear camera. How to do this strategically so I have good coverage AND wouldn't be a pain to mess with when removing the top.
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I've asked the same question a bunch. No good answers. Best solutions I've seen have been to put it right behind the front camera (recording the interior) or on the roll bar (attempting to see out the rear window). Short of mounting it directly on a hard top rear window, though, I've found no way to mount it well. Obviously mounting it direct to the window means you have to unplug or plug it in any time you remove/install the top, and also means you lose the camera when going topless which is not good.

If anyone has better options, I'm most certainly interested.

Waltzforzizi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I mounted mine at the rear window. Low enough to see out the back when the tent is mounted on the rails. Easy to just unplug it if I need to.

20230502_075900.jpg

OP
OP
ScooterInTX

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I mounted mine at the rear window. Low enough to see out the back when the tent is mounted on the rails. Easy to just unplug it if I need to.

Jeep Gladiator Rear Dash Cam Mounting Options 20230502_075900
Like this idea! If the weekend is kind to me, I'll give this a go and post some install pics. Thanks!

Sponsored

Tornado_6

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
I ended up with two rear-facing cameras and ran the plugs to my dashcam. I can easily unplug one and switch over to the other as needed.

For the first camera, I drilled two holes in a piece of wood and installed the bracket behind the center seat headrest. This allows me to switch between hard and soft tops without concern for the camera. This also allows me to see any cargo in the truck bed, as well as record what's happening on the road behind me:
Jeep Gladiator Rear Dash Cam Mounting Options tempImagekYNYzb

For the second one, which I use most often, I added some magnets to the camera bracket and placed it on top of the hitch receiver.
Jeep Gladiator Rear Dash Cam Mounting Options tempImageioZhqq

OP
OP
ScooterInTX

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Any Update / instructions on this OP? in the same boat
I ended up going the same route as @Waltzforzizi
Didn't take any progress pics but it wouldn't have helped much. Total install was about about 90 minutes and the majority of that was messing with the AUX wiring and cleaning the power connections up. The routing of the camera wires was surprisingly easy. I only needed the plastic pry tool a couple of times. I went under the door sill to the back all the way to the space where the bluetooth speaker sits, if you have one. I'll post pics but happy how it turned out. The only negative is that I won't have the back camera when running with the top off.

hrw4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
Anyone ever try mounting the rear to the speaker bar? I don't have my JT yet so I can't look to see if it's a decent spot.

I have it mounted to the bar in my wrangler and it gets enough of the back, but there's also no 5 foot bed behind it, so not sure if you'd actually see anything with it being up that high.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’ll be installing mine this week and will document the process.
Sponsored