Sponsored

Anyone have pictures of rear dash cam mounting solution?

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to get a set for my wife and I, but think that getting the inside is just as important as the outside. In case someone breaks in, you now have video captures of the thieving buggers, lol...also you can see side swipes better with capturing the space between just rear and forward....I'll be mounting so I can get the majority of cab as well as front and back.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Can you post a picture of your rear cam view?

I'm trying to decide if I want the rear cam for looking inside the vehicle, or just outside.
Jeep Gladiator Anyone have pictures of rear dash cam mounting solution? 56345178-A274-4065-AC18-F368B7711AEC

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I have yet to get a set for my wife and I, but think that getting the inside is just as important as the outside. In case someone breaks in, you now have video captures of the thieving buggers, lol...also you can see side swipes better with capturing the space between just rear and forward....I'll be mounting so I can get the majority of cab as well as front and back.
It would be my guess if someone breaks in ... they are most likely are going to steal your cam too ?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Noob question, but where are you guys tapping into for power. Where is the interior fuse box located ? Thanks !
There is no interior fuse box. If you have the factory installed AUX switches, there are two wires under the dash in the Aux bundle. One is always hot, and one keyed with the ignition. If not, it's easy to run them through the firewall, unless you have a manual transmission.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Who’s got some videos of dash cams? My Jeep got hit in the rear. I don’t really care because I have the plastic bumper but someone’s insurance could have bought me the bumper I want instead. i feel like at night the rear vision through the glass could be garbage but I’ve never had an aftermarket dash cam

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Noob question, but where are you guys tapping into for power. Where is the interior fuse box located ? Thanks !
There are kits on Amazon that allow you to easily tap into an existing fuse. I tapped into the fuse for the cigarette lighter port (since it only has power when the ignition is on), and then I ran that out the hood via the cowl, and up the passenger side A-pillar - no cutting or drilling required.

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
There is no interior fuse box. If you have the factory installed AUX switches, there are two wires under the dash in the Aux bundle. One is always hot, and one keyed with the ignition. If not, it's easy to run them through the firewall, unless you have a manual transmission.
No wonder I couldn't find it ! Lol..... I do have the AUX switches, so I will look there. Do you remember the colors of each wire in the AUX bundle ? I also wonder if the center roll bar lights could be tapped, in my last vehicle, I was able to get a hot and ignition from the interior light located near the front windshield. Also need to find the best location to run cables for a rear cam.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
There are kits on Amazon that allow you to easily tap into an existing fuse. I tapped into the fuse for the cigarette lighter port (since it only has power when the ignition is on), and then I ran that out the hood via the cowl, and up the passenger side A-pillar - no cutting or drilling required.
Yes I have the install harness you speak of, I just couldn't locate an interior fuse box, found out there isn't one..... LOL so basically you tapped the fuse box under the hood ???

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
No wonder I couldn't find it ! Lol..... I do have the AUX switches, so I will look there. Do you remember the colors of each wire in the AUX bundle ? I also wonder if the center roll bar lights could be tapped, in my last vehicle, I was able to get a hot and ignition from the interior light located near the front windshield. Also need to find the best location to run cables for a rear cam.
I don't remember the wire colors, but they are in a chart in the Owner's Manual. The Aux wire bundle is taped to the wiring harness and can be difficult to locate.

There is also a wire tap harness available from Quadratec (and possibly Ebay or Amazon) that connects to the back of the 12 volt outlet. With the factory Aux wiring available, this should be unnecessary.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I have seat covers on all my seats so I just shoved mine into the rear passenger headrest cover. It can see pretty well (it aims a little high) and doesn't really need adjusting. I don't have anyone sit in the back but if they do I just tell them to sit behind me. I put it on the passenger side because the window opens the other way. I also don't have to move it when I take the roof off either, nor is it intrusive in any way. I routed it through the plastic pieces on the roll bar.

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Yes I have the install harness you speak of, I just couldn't locate an interior fuse box, found out there isn't one..... LOL so basically you tapped the fuse box under the hood ???
Yes. I can't take pictures ATM because my Jeep is in the garage, and with the snow and ice I'd rather not back it out to get to the passenger side, but...

The fuse box is on the passenger side. Route your power cable from your windowshield up through the trim piece above the windshield and down the passenger-side A-pillar. Use a plastic trim removal tool so that you can properly get that cable routed behind that trim.

Once the cable is down to the bottom of the A-pillar, you simple route it behind the door-gasket and out the front passenger door jam into the cowl. You can remove the cowl using the socket that came with your Jeep. From the cowl you're just inches away from the fuse box, and can route directly there.

When this is all done you shouldn't see the cable at all unless you're directly staring at the inside of the passenger's door jam up by the top hinges where that weather gasket is. You'll see a fraction of a inch of cabling peeking through the areas where there is no gasket. This does not impede the ability to open/close the door, nor does it damage the cable.

This is the best way I've found to route it that doesn't involve a lot of hassle.
Sponsored