Sponsored

Rubicon Option/Packages question ...

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Appreciate all the comments thus far. Thanks.

I've scratched the factory Headliners from the build and will go aftermarket with the Hotheads.

Also scratched the Spray-in Bedliner; will look to aftermarket products as well.

Decided to keep the 8.4" Radio Group primarily for the Nav system ... Bremen mentioned the Trail Cam. Do I really need the Trail Cam? Other than for eyeballing the ground/rocks in front while off-roading, would it have any other practical use?

The winch-capable front steel bumper is on the build, but not the auxiliary switches group. Dealer's sales guy said having an aux. switch just makes it easier to activate the winch from inside the cab. Ah, meh.

Still on the fence about the Cargo Group ....
Only use I'd envision for that 115v outlet (at this point anyway) is for running an air tank for filling up the tires if they're low, say, from a slow leak. (I'm getting the all-weather tires, not the Mudders.). Lockable polymer storage boxes make me nervous. I'd prefer lockable STEEL boxes. The polymer units might make a bit more sense if the lock that prevents folding the backs down ALSO locked the seat portion to prevent it from being flipped up to expose the boxes.
Choosing the 8.4” Radio Group is a good move.

Regarding some of the other options. My train of thought probably differs from the majority in that, I’m not a huge aftermarket person so therefore if the option is available via the manufacturer I’ll get it there, first. I know if I don’t, I won’t proactively seek someone out to install or have done later.

Likewise I would say for an option I don’t necessarily need or see myself using at the current moment however, in 2-3 years my needs may change. Again, I tend to select options now and will grow into them later. An example of that may be the ACC. Many people don’t see an immediate need for adaptive cruise now, but checking the box and having it you will learn to love.

All of that was to say, you seem to be on the fence regarding the Cargo Group. Based on some of your posts it would seem you are a good candidate for someone needing this option. I am new to pickups in general, and find the storage box a great touch and dare i say must have? If you don’t have it then you won’t know what your missing but I’d almost say it’s a must have. The spray in bed liner unless the aftermarket folks are doing it for significantly less money (i don’t know) but it almost seems like just add to the build and be done with it.

My two cents and happy building to you.
Sponsored

CbtEngr8591

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubi
I will second the ACC, I have it in my GC and absolutely love it on the highway. Once i started using it.

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
Thanks again for the comments, guys. The advice of current owners and/or folks who've gone thru the build process is invaluable. Great group here!

Am definitely going with the 8.4 Radio group. Have decided the Nav feature alone is a must-have.

Will add the Aux Switch Group. Not a huge expense, and as a couple of the replies above pointed out, it can serve multiple power uses down the road. Doing it aftermarket could cost more when you factor in installation.

Will go aftermarket on the Cargo Group so the bed can be tailored to a configuration that works for what I need and nothing I don't. Some of that is a 'remains-to-be-seen' thing. I think I can live with out the 115v outlet in the trunk.

I have owned a truck before (long time ago, actually) and still have a few items - such as an adjustable cargo brace with a net. So for now that'll work until I've researched the aftermarket's Gladiator-specific 'cargo bay' products. ... I'm going to check out the various Cargo lock-box vendors for Gladiator-related steel boxes. I once had a Wrangler and installed a Tuffy lockbox that bolted to the floor.

Going aftermarket on the factory Bedliner and HardTop headliners. Seems the Hotheads Headliner is the go-to non-factory item.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Have a Gladiator Rubicon build partially complete, but would like some input on some options from the been-there/done-that Rubicon vets here.

8.4" Radio & Premium Audio Group? ... I'm not getting the Gladiator just in order to spend a lotta time listening to the radio. Is the (almost) $1700 hit for the 8" screen (and everything else in the package, e.g., Nav, better speaker) really worth the upgrade over the standard?

Cargo Group w/ Trail Rail System? ... Most of the elements of the Max Tow package are already included at the Rubicon trim level, with the trailer tow package adding the 240 amp alt, etc. The Cargo Group includes the 240 alt, a polymer lock box under the rear seats, and the 115 volt outlet in the trunk. I was going to look to the aftermarket (e.g., Tuffy) for an all-steel lock box to fit under those seats anyway, and I'm not sure the 115v outlet would see much use, although I would use the cargo tie-down items included in the package.

Spray in Bedliner? ... Test drove a Rubicon that had it. Has a sort of 'rough,' non-slip texture. Would help keep stuff from sliding around, but there might be better aftermarket options.

Hardtop Headliner? ... Significant noise-reduction? Does it impart an insulation effect, as claimed?

What do the Rubicon experts think? Thanks for your time & input!
The following is personal opinion worth exactly what you are paying for it:
8.4, yes. The bigger screen and navigation are worth it, Jeeps are loud better speakers are better

Cargo group, no. The box in a box is highly inefficient use of limited space, the rails are too high to tie anything down in the bed, and may or may not interfere with mounting other accessories like a rack in the bed. I would like to have the 115v outlet in the bed, but not for $1k

Spray in bed liner, no. Despite outward appearances that stuff is slick as snot when wet, you'll end up putting a rubber mat in anyway. If the concern is scuffing the bed up, they scuff the bed up before it is installed. I am also not a fan of financing low dollar items for a number of years increasing their cost along the way.

Headliner, meh no. The noise isn't coming from there and although there may be some acoustic dampening value, I'm going to surmise it to be minimal. However I have not had these nor do I have any personal experience with them.

Spend your cargo group and headliner money on the 8.4 and if you want a spray in bed liner have it done aftermarket and pay cash for it.

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's the factory order code for the Aux.Switch Group?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

8.4, yes. The bigger screen and navigation are worth it, Jeeps are loud better speakers are better
Cargo group, no. The box in a box is highly inefficient use of limited space, the rails are too high to tie anything down in the bed, and may or may not interfere with mounting other accessories like a rack in the bed. I would like to have the 115v outlet in the bed, but not for $1k
Agree on both.

Spray in bed liner, no. Despite outward appearances that stuff is slick as snot when wet, you'll end up putting a rubber mat in anyway. If the concern is scuffing the bed up, they scuff the bed up before it is installed. I am also not a fan of financing low dollar items for a number of years increasing their cost along the way.
Agree.

Spend your cargo group and headliner money on the 8.4 and if you want a spray in bed liner have it done aftermarket and pay cash for it.
On these two items the aftermarket should offer better quality for equal or less cost. And at least on the cargo stuff, I can configure storage and the lockboxes exactly as I want it.

Thanks!

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Yes to all except the headliner, I don't think it does much. I use android auto every day, use the trail rails almost every time I haul something and makes installing/removing my bed rack super easy. Bed liner is extremely durable so far, have dragged metal (old appliances) across it without a mark on it.

brewerydad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Laramie
After my Army retirement I worked at a FCA dealership for 17 years and left that job in 2011; as of 2011, once a vehicle was scheduled for production, no changes of the original order were allowed; guess that is no longer the case if OP made changes after production began.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After my Army retirement I worked at a FCA dealership for 17 years and left that job in 2011; as of 2011, once a vehicle was scheduled for production, no changes of the original order were allowed; guess that is no longer the case if OP made changes after production began.

Thanks.

No, no order yet, so no scheduled production. That's to occur next week when I finalize the options/packages discussed above with my sales guy. He's dealt with me on two previous vehicles already, so he knows my drill. We might go thru go a couple of 'draft' build sheets as I add or delete options before finalizing the build for ordering, sign-off, and deposit.

The 2020 Gladiator, being new, just took more time. Thankfully the input & comments here definitely made my decision-making easier.

6gunner

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1989 YJ
As an fyi when I ordered my JTR on Sep 9, the sales associate informed me that the 8.4 uconnect and audio upgrade were only being built with the front camera and LED light upgrades added. So instead of a $1600 upgrade it was going to cost me twice that. I didnt want the LED nor need the forward camera. So I ended up canceling that option. I can say that the 7 inch screen is adequate if you dont need Nav. For me I'm good with using Android auto for Google maps navigation. The screen actually appears to have a higher resolution than the 8.4 though it is a smaller screen size. I suspect the 8.4 is just scaled up with no more detail/pixels per inch. The standard audio isnt bad. I drove home with the soft top back on the highway and had no issue with the quality of sound.

If I did it again and wasnt forced to bundle options I'm not sure if I would pay for the upgrade. It would be a coin flip.

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an fyi when I ordered my JTR on Sep 9, the sales associate informed me that the 8.4 uconnect and audio upgrade were only being built with the front camera and LED light upgrades added. So instead of a $1600 upgrade it was going to cost me twice that. I didnt want the LED nor need the forward camera. So I ended up canceling that option. I can say that the 7 inch screen is adequate if you dont need Nav. For me I'm good with using Android auto for Google maps navigation. The screen actually appears to have a higher resolution than the 8.4 though it is a smaller screen size. I suspect the 8.4 is just scaled up with no more detail/pixels per inch. The standard audio isnt bad. I drove home with the soft top back on the highway and had no issue with the quality of sound.

If I did it again and wasnt forced to bundle options I'm not sure if I would pay for the upgrade. It would be a coin flip.
Thanks for that info.

Yeah, I did want the Nav feature. I just checked the build sheet again and have the 8.4 Radio package but was not required to 'bundle' it with the front trail camera or anything else, as far as I can tell. I'll check in with my sales guy later today to get clarification.

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly it's your build and you get what you want... but since you asked... here's my .02

Spray in Bedliner --- go aftermarket. A lot of guys going LineX for lifetime warranty vs OEM is 1 year.* * *
-sass
1-year warranty on the factory bedliner? Is that right?

Shouldn't it be 3yrs/36K miles like the rest of the warranty for the NON-drivetrain parts of the vehicle?

Also, if you buy the 5-yr Max-Care coverage, isn't the bedliner coverage extended to 5yrs as well?
Sponsored