Sponsored

Gladiator Q4 2019 sales numbers out - thoughts?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/jeep/jeep-gladiator/

Home » US Car Sales Data » Jeep » Jeep Gladiator
Jeep Gladiator
Jeep_Gladiator-US-car-sales-statistics

The Gladiator is a pickup version of the popular Jeep Wrangler. It’s the spiritual successor of the Jeep Scrambler.

See how Jeep Gladiator sales compare to the other models in the US Small pickup segment.

Please note: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles stopped reporting monthly US sales figures in Q3 of 2019 and switched to reporting its US sales quarterly. From Q3 of 2019 onwards you will find Q1 data in the March data field, Q2 data in June, Q3 data in September and Q4 data in December.

Jeep
Gladiator

January
February 70
March 43
April 314
May 2.584
June 4.231
July
August
September 16.132
October
November
December
Sponsored

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Gladiator is like the FJ Cruiser (I had two of them) people either love them or hate them. I love mine but not at first.

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I give the model THREE YEARS...tops.

1. The price point - long-term - may not have a long-standing audience...enough to sustain year over year production.

2. They left a lot of features on the table when compared to other pickups in the class - feature vs feature cost.

3. The dealers are beginning to deal AND see an increase in inventory - probably more than they planned on this early.

THAT said....

I am ok with it.

1. I have mine.
2. It won't look like every other Jeep out there.
3. They will eventually hold value well due to the lack of being made anymore.

Just my thoughts.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I give the model THREE YEARS...tops.

1. The price point - long-term - may not have a long-standing audience...enough to sustain year over year production.

2. They left a lot of features on the table when compared to other pickups in the class - feature vs feature cost.

3. The dealers are beginning to deal AND see an increase in inventory - probably more than they planned on this early.

THAT said....

I am ok with it.

1. I have mine.
2. It won't look like every other Jeep out there.
3. They will eventually hold value well due to the lack of being made anymore.

Just my thoughts.
I disagree. The price isnt THAT different from a JLU. I think the lack of sales is that people just dont see them as much. It shows in the sales: 40k vs 16k. Plus all of the used Jeeps on the market. Frankly Jeeps hold their value so well because there are so many used ones bought. Out of 10 Jeep owners I know I am the only one that bought new. There are TONS of JKUs out there and people will buy those first for cost savings, have a new JL or JT as an upgrade. My speculation anyway. Give it time, the JT will catch up.

That said, I also am ok with it being a one hit wonder. Q1 sales will be interesting

Sponsored

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree. The price isnt THAT different from a JLU. I think the lack of sales is that people just dont see them as much. It shows in the sales: 40k vs 16k. Plus all of the used Jeeps on the market. Frankly Jeeps hold their value so well because there are so many used ones bought. Out of 10 Jeep owners I know I am the only one that bought new. There are TONS of JKUs out there and people will buy those first for cost savings, have a new JL or JT as an upgrade. My speculation anyway. Give it time, the JT will catch up.

That said, I also am ok with it being a one hit wonder. Q1 sales will be interesting
I think it compares solid to the JK and JL...the issue is how it lines up feature for feature with other lines (Non-Jeep). To me, I think that is where it becomes a little harder, long-term, to get more people into the tribe.

Certainly a good point on the used car sector. A lot of Jeep owners were concerned that the price point was a bit high.

We will see. I am cool with it either way (Have mine :)

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it compares solid to the JK and JL...the issue is how it lines up feature for feature with other lines (Non-Jeep). To me, I think that is where it becomes a little harder, long-term, to get more people into the tribe.

Certainly a good point on the used car sector. A lot of Jeep owners were concerned that the price point was a bit high.

We will see. I am cool with it either way (Have mine :)
At least it wont be a short run like other Jeep lines (Commander, Liberty, etc) for quality/design issues. Though the Liberty was really a replacement for the Cherokee and lasted 10y

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
At least it wont be a short run like other Jeep lines (Commander, Liberty, etc) for quality/design issues. Though the Liberty was really a replacement for the Cherokee and lasted 10y
Hardly a replacement as the Liberty was a very short Jeep - VERY short. It was it's own entity for sure. We've owned Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Liberty and my son has a Compass. We've not had the Commander and a couple of others. But we view the Liberty as a totally different "baby Jeep" aimed at millennials who wanted a small capable Jeep as a lower price point. It's a shame, really, that the Cherokee ended up being trashed. In it's 1990s format it was one of the best selling, most successful body styles in history of any company. It even continued in China after being discontinued here. They were EVERYWHERE around this state. You couldn't drive anywhere for 15 minutes and not see one. Still you see 'em now and then, though typically lifted, rusted and pretty well used. What they call a Cherokee today is a joke, IMO.
But the Liberty was a different animal. VERY short, small inside and out, extremely short turning radius, comparable to my SX4 in many ways as far as dimensions and wheelbase and turning and parking abilities. It was a neat little vehicle. When we bought ours it was one of those years that once the snow turned on, it didn't stop until into spring. We had constant snow and it kept building. And it started the day we picked that Liberty up. And we found out how well it did in snow. Very well. It was stable and capable and sure-footed. But next time around my wife decided she wanted the size of the Grand Cherokee again, so we went back up to the Grand Cherokee again. We had bought the Liberty as she decided at that time maybe we couldn't afford the Liberty. Likely she was right as it was about that time PFG laid off over 70 of us IT staffers. But the Cherokee was definitely a longer, wider, larger vehicle. Maybe not by a huge amount, but it was longer and bigger. Our neighbors still had one at that time. 10 years ain't a bad run, really.

I still say - Jeep ain't marketing the JT - advertising for the thing is almost non-existent. Ram, Chevy, Ford - on the airwaves night and day, we see them every day/night. Not Jeep. And the Jeep truck won't sell in Iowa with that small bed. So when the Ankeny dealer told me they really don't sell any, it makes sense - farmers and construction workers need a truck with a bed and trailer ability. This isn't it.
They will never do well in Iowa.
Hey, I'm just being realistic here. Not saying I don't like mine or they don't have a place, just that states like Iowa are not that place. I'll bet that almost all JTs sold through Spirit Lake leave this state - are titled elsewhere.

MarkO

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JT
I think sales will grow. I remember buying my 2011 Raptor. Sales weren’t that strong. The dealer gave me 6 to choose from and I paid $500 over invoice. They gained popularity as more were on the road. Plus, Jeep’s Super Bowl Gladiator commercial will drive sales. If not sales, then laughs.

I couldn’t be happier with my Gladiator. I’d buy another one in a heartbeat.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m of the opinion that FCA is happy enough with the sales to date. With the production delays seen with certain components’ availability and the few issues discovered, like the driveshaft recall, I think this would be a respectable launch. Save the marketing budget until the first real-world launch issues are addressed and then kick it into normal sales push. Keep in mind that FCA had a big push to beat Chevy out of the #2 truck spot with Ram. Gladiators here still move quickly. Location means a lot. My brother has needs that a Ram2500 satisfies for farm and work truck applications. He’s a Jeep guy too and would prefer the Gladiator if it were a better fit. He lusts after my Gladiator and I lust after his 6.4 Hemi :CWL:

I bet the Gladiator will be successful for FCA even though it is a niche vehicle that will likely never be a high volume seller.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I've had conversations with a number of friends, etc and most of them think I am absolutely off my rocker for looking into selling my 2017 Ram Lonestar to buy the gladiator which they all see as way overpriced for what they are selling. I think your just going to have a group that takes to the Jeep Trucks and the remainder who will always go with the full-size loaded for a fraction of the cost. Maybe could be wrong but I don't think your going to see huge number sold. Don't think Jeep cares; not from what I saw at the auto show. They had 3 basic models and far more people were interested in looking at the Jeep Wranglers, etc. Nissan, Toyota and Ford were pushing there midsize trucks far more heavily with tricked out versions for overlanding, etc.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I think the sales seem to be ok....Lots of hurdles to overcome in the initial run, especially when its in the same complex and supply chain as your award wining, iconic, highly profitable Wrangler. A slow and steady strategy makes sense. FCA Jeep seems committed to the Gladiator since they spent around $1.2 Billion retooling and reorganizing the Toledo South production facility. I think an IFS RAM platform mate will make the Gladiator even more profitable over time assuming gas prices stay steady. The diesel will create a bump and a buzz soon. Then a hybrid/electrified version will create the next buzz. Time will tell.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I have yet to see another JT in the wild. I believe it’s strictly due to price point. I’m getting second looks and compliments everywhere I go, so I don’t think it’s that people don’t like them.

the Super Bowl commercial was funny but they need a practical commercial that shows its versatility. I was planning on getting a tundra before seeing the JT. I knew I needed a truck for the random times I use it. But I also needed something that could hold my family of 5. The JT does it and adds the fun factor of taking doors and/or roof off.

I came from a ram 1500 and the cab room is a little smaller. But it’s not significantly smaller. I was never going to take the family on a road trip in my Ram. It’s just not comfortable enough. So the loss of leg room was a moot point for me.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have yet to see another JT in the wild. I believe it’s strictly due to price point. I’m getting second looks and compliments everywhere I go, so I don’t think it’s that people don’t like them.

the Super Bowl commercial was funny but they need a practical commercial that shows its versatility. I was planning on getting a tundra before seeing the JT. I knew I needed a truck for the random times I use it. But I also needed something that could hold my family of 5. The JT does it and adds the fun factor of taking doors and/or roof off.

I came from a ram 1500 and the cab room is a little smaller. But it’s not significantly smaller. I was never going to take the family on a road trip in my Ram. It’s just not comfortable enough. So the loss of leg room was a moot point for me.
I'm only seeing them in the affluent areas of town. Always a Rubicon or LE.

Agreed on the capability not being focused on. FCA needed a fun commercial for the Superbowl ad. They could have done a little with it showing some of the towing ability. Payload maybe not so much because it's a Rubicon.

Commercial could have been better showing the sway bar disconnect, I'm sure some flexing on various town property would have been right in line with Murray having fun

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I'm only seeing them in the affluent areas of town. Always a Rubicon or LE.

Agreed on the capability not being focused on. FCA needed a fun commercial for the Superbowl ad. They could have done a little with it showing some of the towing ability. Payload maybe not so much because it's a Rubicon.

Commercial could have been better showing the sway bar disconnect, I'm sure some flexing on various town property would have been right in line with Murray having fun
There are 2 Gladiators in the parking lot I use at work. There are 3 parking lots, so I expect there may be more. One is a Sport and 1 is a Rubi. There are a couple others I routinely see on my commute and about town. I don't think that means anything, really. It's a new vehicle and hasn't had long to penetrate the market.
Sponsored